Really happy for Harry Phillips and Ed Oliver…

eball

44 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

Simmons took a minute to get going honestly. His production has really taken off this year. 

He was hurt coming out but he was excellent last year and excellent this year whereas Ed has only had this as a really high level consistent season.

• Like (+1) 1

Man, everyone going at eball...  So we are all supposed to sit here and listen to this person and that person sucks non-stop- Knox and Oliver are great examples- which is all super annoying, and then we can't turn it around and call out the haters???

"Well, they did suck so I was right!"  der der der...

3 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Butler gets $7M (way too much), and Zimmer makes $800k.

I'd think we could sign Harry well under $3M. Maybe even $1M/yr.

Would be totally worth it at those prices. 3yr/$6M, out after 2 years.

Harry's vet minimum is over $1M for next year.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Man, everyone going at eball...  So we are all supposed to sit here and listen to this person and that person sucks non-stop- Knox and Oliver are great examples- which is all super annoying, and then we can't turn it around and call out the haters???

"Well, they did suck so I was right!"  der der der...

There was ONE POSTER who complained about Phillips and he was the first one to show up this past week and own it.  One.

@eball with a TBD Wall of Fame post. Phillips strings together a couple good games (and they have been good) after a disappointing body of work basically his entire career in Buffalo and everyone is "proven wrong."

Of course, eball was probably patting himself on the back when Shaq Lawson starting playing worth a damn his final season, walked in FA because you know, a guy who has some good games doesn't entirely wash away a mostly crappy career, and of course, Shaq signs a big ol contract with the Dolphins and plays like the real Shaq, gets traded for peanuts to the Texans who then trade him for more peanuts to the Jets.  Hell yeah, the fans are vindicated!

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, eball said:

…who have established themselves this year as (edit) potential cornerstones of the Bills’ D.  Per usual, the armchair idiots who called both guys busts have once again been proven wrong.  Different players have different timelines to become acclimated to the NFL (and Harry had to overcome a significant injury).  I look forward to a new contract for Phillips and watching both of these guys anchor the DL for years to come.

When will fans learn?  Probably never.

Absolutely right on this one.

Now there are some fans saying that Greg Rousseau is a bust. :doh:

Some fans will never be satisfied because they want instant gratification from a rookie.

Remember all the fans who called Eric Moulds a bust? Sheesh!

I get that many fans might think that Harrison Phillips recent good play could be "contract year" effort but I have to disagree with that.

He seems to me to be an "all in" type player all the time.  He needed a lot of work to get better and that was definitely interrupted with

his injury.  If and when he is re-signed his future effort is not one of my concerns at all.  His availability, as of right now, is to some degree. 

I don't see him as a full time high impact DT but he is definitely worthy of split duty on this Bills DL for reasonable money.

Teams need players like that.  Especially teams paying a franchise QB big money.

• Agree 2

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Harry's play was critical of Harry. You don't have to believe everyone on the Bills is an All-Pro to be a Bills fan.

That's fine, and Maybe Harry isn't the best example.  But when you're running around yelling Knox sucks!  And Oliver sucks!  Take the L.  But nope, we get- "well, he did suck" and "sure, attack fans"...

7 hours ago, eball said:

…who have established themselves this year as (edit) potential cornerstones of the Bills’ D.  Per usual, the armchair idiots who called both guys busts have once again been proven wrong.  Different players have different timelines to become acclimated to the NFL (and Harry had to overcome a significant injury).  I look forward to a new contract for Phillips and watching both of these guys anchor the DL for years to come.

When will fans learn?  Probably never.

Does admitting you were wrong absolve you from being an armchair idiot? Asking for a friend.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m sorry to be that guy but Ed Oliver hasn’t lived up to anywhere near his draft level. That doesn’t mean he isn’t playing well this year or isn’t a nice guy but he’s not been the impact player you’d expect from a guy picked that high. (Of course he doesn’t choose when he’s picked so is it really his ‘fault’?)

You sure know how to get people riled up.

But frankly you have a point. I expected him to be dominant before this string of games. If this continues I may forget the past. 

With Phillip's play being improved it may have really helped Ed

26 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

That's fine, and Maybe Harry isn't the best example.  But when you're running around yelling Knox sucks!  And Oliver sucks!  Take the L.  But nope, we get- "well, he did suck" and "sure, attack fans"...

Well that's the example in the OP. Take your L for getting a ride on eball's sinking ship.

3 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Wow everyone is really on-brand in this sorry thread.

Social media has, unknown to many, corrupted lots of minds...but they can't look in the mirror long enough nor have the self-awareness to see it.

LAMP used to get called out.  Now they're celebrated.  What a crazy mixed up world. 

Let's go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I was guilty of giving up on Phillips too. I'm glad I was wrong. He's not all world just yet, but he's still on an upward trend. Same for Oliver. Now we need a couple young DE's to step up. I think Basham has a long career ahead of him. He can play. I just don't know what his ceiling is. Rousseau's pass rush needs a lot of work still, but he's still a rookie.

3 minutes ago, GreggTX said:

I was guilty of giving up on Phillips too. I'm glad I was wrong. He's not all world just yet, but he's still on an upward trend. Same for Oliver. Now we need a couple young DE's to step up. I think Basham has a long career ahead of him. He can play. I just don't know what his ceiling is. Rousseau's pass rush needs a lot of work still, but he's still a rookie.

I hope for the same.  Basham was "redshirted" this year in favor of Hughes and Addison, both of which will not be on the team next season.

Carlos is another player who some have labelled a bust already because he doesn't dress and play every week.  LOL.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.