Eviction Moratorium To End Jan. 15

Today, nearly 600,000 New York households are behind on rent, with a total estimated debt of nearly $2 billion, according to an analysis of census data by the National Equity Atlas, a research group based at the University of Southern California. In the eight counties of Western New York, more than 620 households have filed what are known as “hardship declarations” – legal documents that postpone potential eviction proceedings until the end of the moratorium. That number underestimates the total number of tenants at risk of eviction, however, because it does not account for hardship declarations filed directly with landlords.

https://buffalonews.com/news/local/deluge-of-eviction-cases-expected-as-moratorium-nears-its-end/article_76246282-68e8-11ec-b2ab-fbed05ecec11.html#tracking-source=home-trending

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

One thing I would never want to be is a landlord. My mom did that once and what a nightmare. No dogs means no dogs! These people just ignored her. She sold that place later. 

lol you must hate money. Real estate is a fantastic way to make a living 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Tiberius said:

One thing I would never want to be is a landlord. My mom did that once and what a nightmare. No dogs means no dogs! These people just ignored her. She sold that place later. 

It can be a terrible business.  When you factor in a liberal mindset that allows for people to disregard their obligations for years at a time it’s a recipe for disaster.  One thing I noticed during COVID was there was no moratorium against payment of school/property tax, sales tax or any other taxes on everyday goods.  That windfall had to continue but a hard working landlord investing in his/her future was told to suck a nut.  

In spite of a plethora of career opportunities available, I’d think Hochul extends it because, you know, stuff. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

lol you must hate money. Real estate is a fantastic way to make a living 

Normally you are correct but since 2020 my wife's father has been stiffed on half of his rents( he owns 6 low value houses) and he can not sell since no one will but with non paying tenants. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

It can be a terrible business.  When you factor in a liberal mindset that allows for people to disregard their obligations for years at a time it’s a recipe for disaster.  One thing I noticed during COVID was there was no moratorium against payment of school/property tax, sales tax or any other taxes on everyday goods.  That windfall had to continue but a hard working landlord investing in his/her future was told to suck a nut.  

In spite of a plethora of career opportunities available, I’d think Hochul extends it because, you know, stuff. 

It’s really hard to stop giving people hand outs once they have become dependent on them. I suspect you are correct.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

LOl, the stock market is better. And i don’t have to deal with people 

lol I have 18 rentals I self manage and haven’t had a phone call from my tenants since 2020 summer when an ac unit went. I also invest in the stock market it’s called diversified. 

2 hours ago, aristocrat said:

lol I have 18 rentals I self manage and haven’t had a phone call from my tenants since 2020 summer when an ac unit went. I also invest in the stock market it’s called diversified. 

Good for you. It’s called “being diversified.” And there are many ways to be diversified. Did you read the article. Do you know landlords that have problems with tenants? Your personal example is only one example, you get that? I can explain it another way if you can’t understand 

17 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Good for you. It’s called “being diversified.” And there are many ways to be diversified. Did you read the article. Do you know landlords that have problems with tenants? Your personal example is only one example, you get that? I can explain it another way if you can’t understand 

If you have bad tenants it’s your fault. If you buy low rent property you might have a better return but you’ll work for it. Take personal responsibility for the tenants you choose for your property and the maintenance you do for that property.  I can explain it more clearly for you if you like. 

6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

If you have bad tenants it’s your fault. If you buy low rent property you might have a better return but you’ll work for it. Take personal responsibility for the tenants you choose for your property and the maintenance you do for that property.  I can explain it more clearly for you if you like. 

lol bro I’m sorry but where do you own your properties? It doesn’t sound like anyplace in NY because it’s literal hell here now. 

6 hours ago, aristocrat said:

You sound like an idiot

• Eyeroll 1