What’s for Dinner?: New Year’s Edition

EmotionallyUnstable

1 hour ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

Walking out the door to a

new year’s eve party and we get a call that the host’s kid has a fever. Canceled! Eating the crab dip and bacon wrapped dates we were going to bring, and playing video games with the kids. Oh well. 

They probably just wanted you to drop off your quality food at the door step. Save on all the entree and alcohol expense. 

Sorry, maybe I have become cynical about your “party friends”. Don’t blame ME, you painted the picture!   😋

Hoping for a GREAT New Year for you and yours. 

(My wife is in bed already.) 

• Haha (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Augie said:

They probably just wanted you to drop off your quality food at the door step. Save on all the entree and alcohol expense. 

Sorry, maybe I have become cynical about your “party friends”. Don’t blame ME, you painted the picture!   😋

Hoping for a GREAT New Year for you and yours. 

(My wife is in bed already.) 

haha— thankfully these friends are much better than our “super bowl party friends”!  Happy new year too!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

haha— thankfully these friends are much better than our “super bowl party friends”!  Happy new year too!!

At least you found out before any exposure. Hopefully, the kid is OK and bounces back quickly. You could have brought the crab dip over here :D 

• Like (+1) 1

New Years DAY meal related:

My father was a germaphobe. He once scolded his doctor for licking his fingers to turn the page. Picnics were out of the question because flies would land on your food. We grew up as a picnic free family. One New Years Eve the adults had had enough to drink that they starter to rib my dad about it. They pointed out that the next day, New Years Day in Buffalo, there would be no flies outside, and a new tradition began! 

The following day a big group of families met up at a state park, and there was not a fly in sight! They brought coffee cakes, fired up the grills, cooked bacon and eggs and all kinds of other stuff. The food seemed secondary to many of the adults suffering hangovers.  They spent much of their time at the Bloody Mary Bar they arranged. People eventually brought snowmobiles and the adults were lubricated enough to let young kids go out on them alone. I thought we were hopelessly lost on more than one occasion! 

For YEARS that was something we all looked forward to, and the crowd grew over time. It was a case of taking a negative and making something very special out of it. 

• Awesome! (+1) 3

8 minutes ago, Augie said:

My father was a germaphobe. He once scolded his doctor for licking his fingers to turn the page. Picnics were out of the question because flies would land on your food. We grew up as a picnic free family. One New Years Eve the adults had had enough to drink that they starter to rib my dad about it. They pointed out that the next day, New Years Day in Buffalo, there would be no flies outside, and a new tradition began! 

The following day a big group of families met up at a state park, and there was not a fly in sight! They brought coffee cakes, fired up the grills, cooked bacon and eggs and all kinds of other stuff. The food seemed secondary to many of the adults suffering hangovers.  They spent much of their time at the Bloody Mary Bar they arranged. People eventually brought snowmobiles and the adults were lubricated enough to let young kids go out on them alone. I thought we were hopelessly lost on more than one occasion! 

For YEARS that was something we all looked forward to, and the crowd grew over time. It was a case of taking a negative and making something very special out of it. 

So what happened to said tradition?

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

When I was a college student, my older brother owned a bar. One year, he decided to entice a Super Bowl crowd by grilling steaks on the deck. (This was the mid-80s.) For $5, you'd get a 16-oz NY strip steak with a serving of potato salad. The price was pretty much a break-even point - the idea was to bring in a crowd and make money from the drinks. He did the same thing one night a week in the summer and I was the designated grill master, so I agreed to cook for the game, too. For the game, he ordered a bunch of steaks and a tub of potato salad in advance.

The morning of Super Bowl Sunday, we awoke to heavy snowfall and high winds, which continued all day. My normal 5-minute drive to the bar took at least a half-hour. By game time, the only people in the bar were my brother, one bartender, one waitress, one cook (me), and four customers. I cooked eight steaks over a charcoal grill in blizzard conditions. (No flies, though! 🙂 )

Needless to say, that's a winter tradition that was NOT continued.

• Like (+1) 2

11 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

So what happened to said tradition?

It seemed to die off as kids started getting older and going off to college and a couple of the “core” families moved away. I’m not sure how many years that went on, but it had a good run. We had families from Williamsville to Hamburg attending. Not sure what park we went to. Fond memories…..

27 minutes ago, TheCockSportif said:

My wife's short rib concoction turned into a pretty amazing riff on French Onion Soup.  Delicious!

Awesome! I enjoy short ribs and for a while there I was pretty into cooking. Now most of our family and friends are so picky about what they eat, I’d have to make an alternative meal for those who don’t do red meat, and another for the vegetarians. Some will do chicken but not red meat. Some will do shellfish but not fish. Then you have gluten, dairy and my buddy with the egg allergy.  I’ve kind of give up! 🤷‍♂️

Restaurants and Whole Foods see more of us as a result. 

I’m happy for you that you got to enjoy a terrific meal! 

41 minutes ago, Augie said:

Awesome! I enjoy short ribs and for a while there I was pretty into cooking. Now most of our family and friends are so picky about what they eat, I’d have to make an alternative meal for those who don’t do red meat, and another for the vegetarians. Some will do chicken but not red meat. Some will do shellfish but not fish. Then you have gluten, dairy and my buddy with the egg allergy.  I’ve kind of give up! 🤷‍♂️

Restaurants and Whole Foods see more of us as a result. 

I’m happy for you that you got to enjoy a terrific meal! 

Thanks, man.  I will post pictures at some point soon.  It was such a treat!

And yes, I forgot to add this, but, as you just stated, cooking for a crowd is tough.  We used to do it all the time, but really not much in these times.

Edited by TheCockSportif

3 hours ago, Augie said:

Awesome story.

• Thank you (+1) 1

New Years Eve - Chinese take out. Shrimp Curry with rice for me, Pad Thai for my wife. Due to my wife's problems with spice post cancer radiation treatments, the Pad Thai was too spicy (although ordered extra mild), and the curry was way more flavorful than spicy, so we ended up switching meals. The kids has Sweet and Sour Chicken. Crab Rangoon all around for everyone.

New Years Day - Traditional Southern meal - Pork, black eyed peas, collard greens, cornbread.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.