What’s for Dinner?: New Year’s Edition

EmotionallyUnstable

Tomorrow is the eve of the new year. And in boring adult fashion, my wife and I will be cooking at home, spending the afternoon with our 8 month old watching the Wiggles and practicing assisted walking.

As far as eats, we’ve decided to wait until she hits the sack to have a later dinner.

Shrimp cocktail appetizer:

Porterhouse in the cast iron to sear, then oven baked. Crock pot cheesy potatoes and some sort of sautéed veggie (likely green beans with sliced almonds).

Dessert will be Ellicotville Brewing Co’s Sugar Cookie Beer or three. 

You?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Me and the Mrs. are hosting a dinner party (about 16 adults and 7 kids). Its an annual event. I serve Filet Mignon, pan seared and finished in the oven with a lobster tail and drawn butter, mashed potatoes. The guests bring a side dish or appetizer or dessert plus a wine or champagne. Its always a fun night.

Happy New Year!

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

We had elaborate plans for my wife’s brother to bring his wife and three “kids”, with the youngest being a HS senior. His wife has stage 4 cancer and we were eager to see them.

Our son returned from Christmas in FL with his wife’s family. She promptly became ill upon return, and tested positive. So far, he’s feels fine, but we can’t get more tests yet. 

The BIL is a doctor in hospital administration a few hours away. We were all looking forward to getting together, and I think they were looking forward to being taken care of as a family for the weekend. We were not exposed to the DIL, but our son came over while she was starting to feel ill. That makes it risky. Beside that, there are so many people testing positive at the BIL’s hospital they are finding it hard to adequately staff. I’m not sure what factored more heavily in their decision, but the trip is off. 

Looks like we will wing it. It will be just the two of us, and it just might be leftover spicy salmon with pineapple. I like to cook, and was looking forward to the gathering.

I will admit, I’m getting tired of preparing food for people who have become so picky. My wife is best to avoid gluten and dairy, as is her family. My DIL is a vegetarian. My nieces will eat chicken, but not red meat. One will eat fish, but the other won’t eat anything that “swims in it’s own poop”. Another friend will eat shellfish, but not fish. WTF? I’m not talking peanut allergies here (but when did THAT start?), I’m talking picky %^$# people! 

Sorry, tangent and rant ends here! Have a fabulous and safe New Years Eve! 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

happy new years eve 2bd 🙂

Tonight for dinner we will have shrimp fajitas with the grilled onion, green pepper, fresh pinto beans, mexican rice, guacamole and salsa fresca with tortillas. We dont often go out on NYE and not this year either.  Our church organist tested positive for covid. Even the church is closed this Sunday.

Tomorrow for new years day we re going with air fryer chicken wings with BFLO and korean BBQ sauce, blue cheese, carrot and celery. Sunday too. Its a splurge :-)))

be safe and well, out with 2021 IN with 2022. PEACE!~!~!!!!

m

• Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, muppy said:

happy new years eve 2bd 🙂

Tonight for dinner we will have shrimp fajitas with the grilled onion, green pepper, fresh pinto beans, mexican rice, guacamole and salsa fresca with tortillas. We dont often go out on NYE and not this year either.  Our church organist tested positive for covid. Even the church is closed this Sunday.

Tomorrow for new years day we re going with air fryer chicken wings with BFLO and korean BBQ sauce, blue cheese, carrot and celery. Sunday too. Its a splurge :-)))

be safe and well, out with 2021 IN with 2022. PEACE!~!~!!!!

m

What brand? Home made? Mafia sauce? Sweet Baby Ray’s?

29 minutes ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

What brand? Home made? Mafia sauce? Sweet Baby Ray’s?

okay, well for the fajita I use  a base of a salsa I purchase at Sprouts called "chilean salsa" its a red version. I use a frying pan, add some olive oil and crisp fry the vegies, put aside. Then in same pan I'll throw some minced garlic, the shrimp and salsa, add vegies at the end. serve with quacamole, salsa fresca which I hand dice its tomato, poblano and jalpeno chili, cilantro, onion, garlic, salt, pepper, lime squeezed to taste.

For the wings we make homemade sauces too. The BFLO is standard with Franks red hot sauce, butter, garlic, ketchup, water to correct consistency

the what I call korean is like a teriyaki soy, brown sugar, butter. I will use mostly the brown and drizzle some buffalo sauce on top. SUE ME

LOL j/k

haha

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

All appetizers - Veggie dip in a rye bread bowl, wienies cooked in currant jelly, spanikopita, samosa's, assorted cheese and crackers, shrimp cocktail, homemade pizza

New Years day - Brunch with eggs benedict and homefries with mimosa's. The rest of the day will be appetizers part II and homemade chex mix which will be the main munchies for the Bills game Sunday.

HAPPY NEW YEARS ALL.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Augie said:

I will admit, I’m getting tired of preparing food for people who have become so picky. My wife is best to avoid gluten and dairy, as is her family. My DIL is a vegetarian. My nieces will eat chicken, but not red meat. One will eat fish, but the other won’t eat anything that “swims in it’s own poop”. Another friend will eat shellfish, but not fish. WTF? I’m not talking peanut allergies here (but when did THAT start?), I’m talking picky %^$# people! 

Sorry, tangent and rant ends here! Have a fabulous and safe New Years Eve! 

i hear you. My wife’s extended family has a bunch of gluten, dairy, egg, etc. aversions or allergies. Feel bad for them— but it makes the food part of parties and events less fun and more of a headache. 

we have a bunch of friends who are the same. We were at one party and the stuff that was brought was comical. “You have to try these cookies— they are gluten, dairy, egg, sugar, and nut free!” 

i am just thankful my immediate family doesn’t have any of that stuff.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.