RIP John Madden

Purplebulldog

4 minutes ago, Helpmenow said:

So many good folks are gone it seems

This is true, but I think it’s always true, we are just more aware in a pandemic. 

I’ve had my own health issues the last year. I think the most important thing most of us will ever do is complete the carbon cycle. The only way for the world to keeping living is if we keep dying.  

(I am not dying but a global pandemic and a year of health issues will get you thinking about stuff)

That sounds heavy and depressing, but I actually find it remarkably powerful and uplifting. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Was kind of weird, I'd been seeing some of those commercials the last couple of weeks on Fox for the Christmas Day All Madden special.  The first one or two times I saw it, my first thought was, did Madden just die as it looked like one of these tributes they do right after someone dies in sports.  At least he made it through the last show on Christmas this year.

3 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Weird timing with the documentary on Christmas Day.

RIP

He was in declining health and Fox sports was working hard to get that aired as quickly as possible. Not saying anyone knew it was this imminent, but they wanted it completed. 

Edited by Billznut

20 minutes ago, I'm Spartacus said:

I actually like the Raiders when he was coach. RIP....

LOL. I'm an out of town Bills fan and the Raiders have been my second team since - well, check the screen name.

Favorite line from Madden as a broadcaster: "That pass looked like the last shot out of a roman candle".

RIP to a legend.

• Like (+1) 1

Though I listened to him call games hundreds of times and watched A Football Life on him, the All Madden show on XMas day got to me. As those we looked up to in our youth age, it is difficult to watch. But, I saw a man who had lived a full life, one which was respected by most all he knew and met. His sons spoke so highly of him. We should all be so lucky. RIP John. Share a cheers with Pat for us all.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.