THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Panthers Don’t Have Enough to Stop the Bills

Shaw66

The Bills aren’t playing like the best team in the NFL, but guess what?  The best team in the league, whoever it is, isn’t playing like the best team either.   Week after week, last week’s presumptive best team is this week’s pile of old rags.  The Bengals are great, no they aren’t.  Wow, look at the Chargers, well, maybe not.  The Chiefs?  Yes, for a while, then no, then yes again.  The Packers, this week’s darlings.  The Cowboys.  Wait, no, the Patriots.  The Ravens.  Sunday, the Cardinals were taken out behind the woodshed by the Lions.  Yes, those Lions.  The Bucs were shut out by the Saints.  The Colts definitely get some votes.  Maybe the Dolphins are the best team in the league.

So, no, the Bills aren’t playing like the best team in the NFL,  They’re trying to figure it out from week to week, just like every other team.  The NFL is a total dogfight, with most teams scratching and clawing, trying to get into the playoffs.  With three weeks left in the season (plus some teams playing Monday and Tuesday), 13 of 16 AFC teams still have a shot at the playoffs, and an amazing 15 of 16 NFC teams are in the hunt.  Yes, if only Jake Fromm can get it together, the Giants can make it to the postseason. 

The Bills beat the Panthers 31-14 on Sunday in Orchard Park.  The game was closer than the score might indicate.   Take away a garbage-time TD and give the Panthers a couple of field goals they probably would have had if they had a kicker, and the game is 24-20.   That’s more in line with the game stats, which were more even than the actual final. 

What are we to take away from the game?  One thing, and one thing only:  W.  Take the win and move on to the next game. 

The Bills weren’t world-beaters against the Panthers, but they didn’t have to be.  Christian McAffrey, probably 50% of the Panthers’ offense, didn’t make the trip.  He’s out for the season.  Cam New still can make plays at quarterback, but not enough to carry a team.  Their placekicker was a game-time scratch.  Carolina’s defense is pretty stingy when it comes to giving up yardage, but they give away points like candy on Halloween.  The Bills took advantage of all the Panthers had and didn’t have and rolled to the win. 

A few observations:

1. If you need to expose a rookie left tackle to life in the NFL, it’s great if he doesn’t cost you the game.  Spencer Brown sure seems to have a lot of fun running around the football field, but sooner or later he needs to realize he isn’t at Chucky Cheese any more.  Four penalties, inconsistent play.  Give him a bath, read him a story, put him to bed, and hope Dion Dawkins is back for the Patriots game.

2.  Dawkins’ absence weakened the line terribly.  Brown’s follies moved into the left tackle spot, Daryl Williams moved from right guard, where he’s been pretty good, to right tackle, where he’s less consistent, and Cody Ford returned to the lineup at right guard.  The result was some pretty awful pass protection for Josh Allen.  He was sacked four times, and he was on the run a lot, unloading the ball before he had time to find an open receiver.   It was brutal. 

3.  Whether credit goes to the line or to the scheme, the Bills’ running game came alive on Sunday.  Devin Singletary had enough running room to put his skills to work, and it showed.  Motor was slipping arm tackles and cutting to space in the open field, squeezing extra yards out of every opportunity, carrying the ball the way he did so often his rookie year.  On a big third down, Brian Daboll shifted into the wildcat, and pulling offensive linemen led McKenzie around the right side for a first down.  All in all, the Bills showed the kind of running game they need to complement their passing attack.

4.  When Josh Allen stops making the occasional total head-scratching plays, he’s going to be nearly unstoppable.  The Bills were rolling along comfortably, up 14-0 and looking for one more score before the half ended.  Then Allen missed Diggs badly, the ball was intercepted, and minutes later the Panthers were in the game, 14-8.  Allen and Diggs probably miscommunicated, because Allen doesn’t usually miss by that much.  Diggs turned out when Allen probably expected him to turn in.  It looked like Diggs made the right move for what should have been an easy completion.  In any case, the play changed the whole feel of the game, leaving the Panthers in striking distance for most of the second half.   Allen’s passer rating dropped 20 points on one play.

To his credit, Allen led the Bills right back down the field for a field goal to end the half.

Allen’s greatness was on display often, particularly when the offensive line gave him time to see the field.  The best was the Bills’ third touchdown, the first of two TD passes to Gabriel Davis.  Allen settled into the pocket behind good protection, quickly looked right, then looked left, then checked out a possible slant route before looking down the center of the field.  Allen found Davis, and the Bills had a comfortable 24-8 lead. 

One replay in the stadium, shot from the closed end of the stadium directly behind Allen showed just how great the throw and catch were.  Davis started on the left side of the line and headed upfield toward the goalpost.  When Allen found Davis, he was running toward the back of the end zone with his back turned to Allen and with a defender trailing him.  In other words, when he released the ball, Allen couldn’t see Davis, and Davis couldn’t see Allen.  Fearless, Allen ripped a dart, a laser, a rocket, a, well, whatever you want to call of of those balls that we see Allen throw every week.  Knowing the ball would be on its way, Davis hooked to his left and cradled it in his belly for the score.  Davis’s cut and reception happened so fast, the defender had no time to turn or make any kind of play. 

The thing about that throw was that it was just one of several picture-perfect throws to Gabriel, and Knox, and Beasley, and Diggs throughout the afternoon.  As we’ve seen so often this season, down at the goal line, on Sunday the Bills trusted Diggs to create a window, trusted Allen to put it there, and trusted Diggs to catch it.  Touchdown.  Allen is simply a magnificent thrower. 

5.  Harrison Phillips continued his dominant play in the middle of the defensive line.  He’s really come alive.  The Bills’ big-down defensive line is Phillips and Oliver at the tackles and Hughes and Addison at the ends.  That’s who we see on third and six.   The defensive line rotation gives the others – Basham, Obada, Rousseau, Butler, and Lotulelei – opportunities, too.  The defensive line doesn’t dominate, but they all make plays. 

6.  Edmunds was a playmaker Sunday, too.  He stopped several runs in the hole and had assists all over the field.  On Newton’s touchdown run, he looked like he maintained his gap discipline when he should have reacted better to the flow of the play and met Newton on the edge.  There probably was no stopping the biq quarterback, but it would have been nice to see Edmunds get there to give it a try.

7.  Ever since McKenzie’s fumble against the Colts, all I want on every kickoff and punt is for the return man to hold onto the ball.  Still, it’s hard not to get excited seeing Marquez Stevenson on the move.  McKenzie is more of a one-cut speed guy; Stevenson is a waterbug, stop-and-go, change-of-direction guy.  He looks like a video-game character working his way through a maze, and he’s good at it.  The Bills haven’t had one of those guys since Roscoe Parrish.  

8.  The Bills seem to have upgraded their in-stadium video capabilities.  They’re showing plenty of replays after most plays, sometimes from multiple angles, like the end zone view of the touchdown pass to Davis.  The Shout song has new graphics.  All around it’s more professional and makes the game more enjoyable. 

Before the game they showed highlights of the Bucs’ game.  They didn’t show the interference against Diggs in the end zone.  

The Patriots next week.  ‘Nuf said.

GO BILLS!!!

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 5
  • Thank you (+1) 5

Well done once again on your Rockpile Review! I'm mainly commenting on point #3. I really think that the balanced attack led to some big plays on offense. When the other team's defense is able to square off on Allen every play, it doesn't help matters, so getting the ball to "Motor" early in the game is key. Even if our running game isn't effective early, then at least hitting some short receiver screen passes and such can open up some of the big plays down field, and can help protect Allen by getting the ball out of his hands a little quicker. We've obviously got to keep the opposing defenses honest. I know I probably sound like "Captain Obvious".....but it doesn't seem like we've been trying to keep defenses guessing very often!

Good post Shaw. Love to see the Dolphins play the Chiefs. Spencer does need to grow up and learn how to be the best RT possible. He's never playing LT for a long while.  Need Dawkins back soon. 

Harry has improved but I just don't trust him playing all the time. We need a true 1T to replace Star.  Why Gabriel Davis was minimized mid season is beyond me. He needs to be WR2 this year and on. Motor is a nice little RB2 but Josh deserves his Thurman.  Now it's up to Beane to find him while upgrading the OL. 

Not a fan of the DL rotation. Identify your best DL and play them 75% of the time. Pull them out only when winded.  Let Obada and Ankou take Addison and Butler's spot.

Let McKenzie get more gadget plays and sink or swim with Stevenson as your returner.  No elite teams in the NFL this year so it's up for grabs......

• Like (+1) 1

Eric Wood eloquently described the cause of Spencer Brown's problems on One Bills Drive today. He said moving from right tackle to left tackle is "like wiping your butt with your right hand and then changing to your left hand". I think that says it all!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Limeaid said:

One thing missing from your defense line comments was they were tipping the ball often and getting it way of Fig's sight lines.

Otherwise awesome as always.

That's true.   It was obvious how uncomfortable Newton was back there.  He was real fidgety, and with good reason.  There was a lot of hostile activity in front of him. 

23 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

That's true.   It was obvious how uncomfortable Newton was back there.  He was real fidgety, and with good reason.  There was a lot of hostile activity in front of him. 

Yes, if Bills Dline can continue to play like they did yesterday against Pats next week, I feel pretty confident they win this game. If Bills D gets pressure on Jones like they did Cam, I think we get turnovers. 

Yesterday was one of the best games (if not the best) the D has gotten pressure like that. Hopefully it continues next 3 games and into the play offs..

2 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Over the past two games it seems that the red zone offense has come back. Beautiful play calls and execution.

Hopefully that continues against the Pats.

And Davis has been a good part of the reason for that. Not sure how long Sanders may be out, but when he is back it's a chance he may lose snaps to Davis

3 minutes ago, Sheneneh Jenkins said:

And Davis has been a good part of the reason for that. Not sure how long Sanders may be out, but when he is back it's a chance he may lose snaps to Davis

Last year Brown got injured and Davis took more snaps and were effective.

Now it is happening again.

16 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Last year Brown got injured and Davis took more snaps and were effective.

Now it is happening again.

Yeah, we will see how they handle when Sanders returns, but I think the difference from last year and now is that this time Davis has helped the redzone offense improve and percentage a little  better than it was few weeks ago.

That's what has been needed and lately Josh finds him and Davis delivers. That's very important

Edited by Sheneneh Jenkins

That Allen INT was actually a fantastic play by Chinn. He baited Allen like he was crashing down to cover Knox in the flat, then bailed out and dropped back into the window where Diggs was wide open. 

It was a great by by the defender as referenced by Vilma during the broadcast. Allen HAS made some head scratching throws this year, but sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the defense. This is one of them.

8 hours ago, LittleSammy said:

Eric Wood eloquently described the cause of Spencer Brown's problems on One Bills Drive today. He said moving from right tackle to left tackle is "like wiping your butt with your right hand and then changing to your left hand". I think that says it all!

That would make for a dirty left hand. 

17 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

That Allen INT was actually a fantastic play by Chinn. He baited Allen like he was crashing down to cover Knox in the flat, then bailed out and dropped back into the window where Diggs was wide open. 

It was a great by by the defender as referenced by Vilma during the broadcast. Allen HAS made some head scratching throws this year, but sometimes you just have to tip your cap to the defense. This is one of them.

I missed the first half so I didn't see this play. Kind of reminds me of the Bills final play against the Patriots. That DB made a great play leaving Beasley to help on Davis. If Allen could have held the DB covering Beasley just for another fraction of a second the ball would have gotten to Davis. Not sure if Davis catches it but it would have at least gotten to him and he would have had a chance at it. 

1 hour ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

That would make for a dirty left hand. 

I missed the first half so I didn't see this play. Kind of reminds me of the Bills final play against the Patriots. That DB made a great play leaving Beasley to help on Davis. If Allen could have held the DB covering Beasley just for another fraction of a second the ball would have gotten to Davis. Not sure if Davis catches it but it would have at least gotten to him and he would have had a chance at it. 

It was a similar type play

5 hours ago, Success said:

If there is a "most pleasant surprise of '21" award, it goes to Harrison Phillips. He's been a joy to watch, and at a time when we need good play in that unit.

Great summary!  

Yeah agree. Was talking to someone other day about how improved he looked and that you can't help but to notice he has been making some good plays lately. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I don't think that analysis is correct.  The play happened right in front of me, and I just watched the replay a few times.  When it happened live, I said "he's (Allen) got him (Diggs)."  Then Allen threw it to Chinn.  I think Allen misread it.  Now, maybe Allen released it before Chinn made his drop, but I don't think so. 

Diggs saw it and stopped.   He was wide open, and he looked like he did what he was coached to do.  He expected the ball to be coming right to him.   When he saw where Allen threw it, he was too far away to make a play to break up the INT.   If his route was supposed to take him out to the path the ball was on, he wouldn't have stopped and he would have been in position to make a play on the ball.   He didn't do that.  He settled into the open spot and waited for the ball to arrive.  

I'm sure it was on Josh.   Did Chinn make a good play?  Sure - they were doubling Diggs all day, and he was coached to make that drop.  But defensive backs these days are making those drops a lot, and Allen and Diggs were coached about how to respond.  Diggs responded; Allen didn't. 

Edited by Shaw66
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.