Daboll a consideration for Jags HC

DallasBillsFan1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

He had 3 seasons, not two. He was fired at 6-9. He was a bad NFL Head Coach.

Well that's obviously wrong.  

What happened was he got carried away with his power and alienated the people he needed to make it work.   As I'm sure Sean McDermott would attest.......one man with no rings can't make an organization of 100 other people trust his process.    HC's need people in their corner.  

And then some of the things that made him so successful became more commonplace in the league and his team got easier to play.    His system and style lost some edge.

But he wasn't just a tactics guy either.   We watched him put together a game plan to bait Shady into going outside of Greg Roman's system........by the time they subbed McCoy out and gashed the Eagles inside it was too late..........a very costly defeat for Buffalo and probably the greatest regret of McCoy's career was not backing up his talk about Kelly.  

Kelly also made Nick Foles.   Outside of running that RPO he's never been any good.   He even won with totally finished Mark Sanchez.  His one season with Sam Bradford was the only season in his career where Bradford started a significant portion of his team's games and even had a .500 record.

Kelly had a shelf life.........but so did guys who lead teams to SB's like Mike Martz and Sam Wyche.   Not everybody is cut out to be Bill Belichick or Andy Reid..........but Kelly was cut out  to replace the latter when he'd worn out his welcome in Philly........and improve the team's record by 6 wins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2

On 12/17/2021 at 8:02 AM, GunnerBill said:

Josh is a guy who needs to be in rhythm and feeling the ball in his hands.

This is an old narrative. I haven't seen any evidence this year that Allen can't get hot when we run the ball. Against the Bucs he played one of the best halfs of his career when we made it a point to run the ball. The 1st half where we didn't call a single run was a disaster. Not saying I want us to be a run first offense but we can still establish the run to take some of the pressure off of him.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Well that's obviously wrong.  

What happened was he got carried away with his power and alienated the people he needed to make it work.   As I'm sure Sean McDermott would attest.......one man with no rings can't make an organization of 100 other people trust his process.    HC's need people in their corner.  

And then some of the things that made him so successful became more commonplace in the league and his team got easier to play.    His system and style lost some edge.

But he wasn't just a tactics guy either.   We watched him put together a game plan to bait Shady into going outside of Greg Roman's system........by the time they subbed McCoy out and gashed the Eagles inside it was too late..........a very costly defeat for Buffalo and probably the greatest regret of McCoy's career was not backing up his talk about Kelly.  

Kelly also made Nick Foles.   Outside of running that RPO he's never been any good.   He even won with totally finished Mark Sanchez.  His one season with Sam Bradford was the only season in his career where Bradford started a significant portion of his team's games and even had a .500 record.

Kelly had a shelf life.........but so did guys who lead teams to SB's like Mike Martz and Sam Wyche.   Not everybody is cut out to be Bill Belichick or Andy Reid..........but Kelly was cut out  to replace the latter when he'd worn out his welcome in Philly........and improve the team's record by 6 wins.

IMO, that fits my definition of a bad HC.

Just like Urban, guy couldn't hack it at the pro level.

45 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

This is an old narrative. I haven't seen any evidence this year that Allen can't get hot when we run the ball. Against the Bucs he played one of the best halfs of his career when we made it a point to run the ball. The 1st half where we didn't call a single run was a disaster. Not saying I want us to be a run first offense but we can still establish the run to take some of the pressure off of him.

I disagree. We ran it 7 times with the backs in the 2nd half at Tampa, against 22 passes. That is fine. I am happy with that level of balance. It is when we try and force the run on early downs that it throws Josh off. He is at his best when the Bills pass on early downs. Mix the run in about 25-33% of the time. Josh Allen wants the ball in his hands. That is when he excels. Take it out of his hands then ask him to make the odd 3rd down throw that ain't him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.