Where Josh Allen ranks among QBs with regard to benefitting from defensive pass coverage penalties

dave mcbride

We should run some "fake" passes and let guys like Kumerow clean house on the DB's.  Who else do we have on the roster than could do that.  Taiwan Jones? Knox?  Sweeney.   BTW, I did a little research, and the NFL banned "tear away "   jerseys in 1979.  Only us old timers remember that practice. (some players would finish game in taters if they ran out of jerseys for him)

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Right but can make contact which makes it a tougher call. I would love to see where Allen ranks on plays that end up outside the pocket.

My guess is with the numbers being so out of whack with other passers (even adjusted is significantly higher) that we are not talking about nuance here. 

• Like (+1) 1

46 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Is it true that DBs aren't called for holding if the QB is out of the pocket? Or am I wrong?Allen does that a lot?

They'll get called for interference if the pass is thrown to them and they make contact while the ball is in the air, but basically, illegal contact becomes legal once the QB leaves the pocket, so yes, the amount of time Allen spends outside the pocket would presumably be some sort of factor in this but I doubt it's enough to explain that large of a gap. I'm curious where Allen's 82 number compares to everyone else. That tweet only shows the top few QBs.

Just now, DCOrange said:

They'll get called for interference if the pass is thrown to them and they make contact while the ball is in the air, but basically, illegal contact becomes legal once the QB leaves the pocket, so yes, the amount of time Allen spends outside the pocket would presumably be some sort of factor in this but I doubt it's enough to explain that large of a gap. I'm curious where Allen's 82 number compares to everyone else. That tweet only shows the top few QBs.

The Bills are pretty close to average benefiting from PI according to that website. Where they're low is defensive holding.

The numbers throughout the league are not very high. We're talking on average less than a call per game. I'm not sure how accurate that site is, but the numbers seem low.

1 hour ago, Bubba Gump said:

That's ***** unreal. NFL is garbage.

That's one way to interpret the data.

Another would be to suggest that Josh doesn't often throw long enough to get coverage calls in his favor, or when he does, he doesn't throw accurately enough for the defender to have to take a penalty.

There's a TON of potential stuff going on in a simple statistic like that.

Don't draw a quick conclusion.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

Another would be to suggest that Josh doesn't often throw long enough to get coverage calls in his favor, or when he does, he doesn't throw accurately enough for the defender to have to take a penalty.

Yes. Rarely does Allen underthrow passes.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Nextmanup said:

I'd add that he hardly ever throws those deliberately short throws that are intended to generate a DPI call. Rogers, Roethlisberger, and Brady do that all the time. 

27 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

I'd add that he hardly ever throws those deliberately short throws that are intended to generate a DPI call. Rogers, Roethlisberger, and Brady do that all the time. 

Someone told me that this is made up bs.    No one does this.  It’s all in your head. 

🙄 

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.