Week 14 Gameday Bills at Buccaneers Postgame thread

Hapless Bills Fan

2 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

So you think we’re losing 2 of our next 4? That’s essentially what it will take… 

We’re currently sitting as the 7 seed. 

Cleveland, Cincinnati and Denver are tied with us but are losing the tiebreaker. They all play each other on top of other division opponents. 

On the SNF broadcast on NBC, they had a playoff calculator that gave us a pretty low chance of making the playoffs at this point - I want to say it was 22%

Edit:  OK, I found it on 538

It’s 67% chance of making the playoffs, and 20% chance of winning the division

1 hour ago, Chicken Boo said:

I would never choose to give Brady more opportunities to win a game.  Should have went for it on 4th and 2.

Call me crazy, but this game kind of felt like the Gaints/Patriots season ender in 2007.  You picking up what I'm putting down?

We'll see where they go from here.  

I hate when people say "there are no moral victories", yes in the standings there are no moral victories, you lose or win it's all in your record. However teams are comprised of human beings and confidence is a funny thing that can be inspired by a narrow loss. The Giants at the end of the 2007 regular season stood toe to toe with the Pats and lost a nail bitter. That game allowed the Giants to feel as though they could take anyone, they stood right up to Goliath and even though they lost they came away with a feeling that they could contend with them and thus anyone (since the Pats were so far and above any other team that regular season.) 

Now as good as this Tampa team is, it isn't quite the juggernaut that the 2007 Pats team was. But the Bills composed themselves and forced OT after being down 21 points on the road against one of the best teams in the league with a HOF QB playing at a high level. It didn't end in victory but it could be positive for the team going forward. 

1 hour ago, Rock-A-Bye Beasley said:

Did 60 minutes have to, immediately after the game, play a piece about how the taliban is running Afghanistan to really hammer home the fact that I’ve wasted my life following the Buffalo Bills and being in the military

The seeds are planted.  The taliban are the weeds, growing wild for now, but the seeds have seen the sunshine and they will grow. 

The Bills... well, I just can't help you there.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, mannc said:

The failure to go for the TD at the end of regulation was an absolute killer, although I’m sure many here disagree.  No way do I let TB and his friends in the black and white stripes have another chance at it. Gotta win the game there.  I so wish Frank Reich was our coach.

Reich is a fantastic coach but if he is the coach, who is the GM?  Is Josh Allen our QB?   

7 hours ago, Gene1973 said:

The WR was playing the odds. Just like when the Chiefs DB's were mauling Bills WR's last season. They got away with it enough times.

Which again shows a referee problem.  Glad we could circle back to that.

7 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We never win a game from behind. The only game this team seems to win is when the front run from the start. Somehow once we get down, it’s just over. We can get back, make it interesting but never close the deal. It’s ridiculous 

Hard to come from behind when your receivers are allowed to be grabbed so they physically cant catch a ball and on the flipside the DB is allowed to be bear hugged and be called for PI.

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The loss to Tennessee when we could have kicked a field goal and had 15 minutes and potentially one possession vs putting it all on one play…that was heartbreaking

Might have been heartbreaking, but trying to win was the right call there.

• Agree 2

The thing I don't understand is how a primary target WR gets held multiple times during the game once blatantly on a deep pass with the cloth stretched for all to see and no call.

But several times this year a secondary target on the opposite side of the field gets a flag and extends the Bills opponents drive.

Come On Refs kiss us before you screw us :( 

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

May I present to you an even worse view. 

2D38D76E-4C56-49C7-97EF-FAE5E07A26F8.jpeg

What is the source of this?  If it was shown on the broadcast it would have affected the conversation even more after the game including the national media.  More evidence for those already calling out the refs, and indisputable proof for the stop-crying-it-was-50-50 / tHe-ReFs-DoNt-InFlUeNcE-tHe-OuTcOmE-oF-a-GaMe crowd.  Also makes you wonder if they had the angle in the production room but chose to not show it.

Edited by stevewin
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Angry 1
  • Agree 1

9 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

The thing I don't understand is how a primary target WR gets held multiple times during the game once blatantly on a deep pass with the cloth stretched for all to see and no call.

But several times this year a secondary target on the opposite side of the field gets a flag and extends the Bills opponents drive.

Come On Refs kiss us before you screw us :( 

Yeah, at least buy us dinner first.  And thanks for stealing a great comeback and a gut it out performance by Allen with a PI call against the Bills defense they wouldn't make and obviously were afraid to make against Tampa's secondary with several opportunities to do so at the end of the 4th and OT.  Like we've seen so many times before the Bills get hurt by inconsistent officiating at a critical point in the game.  Was their anyone watching the end of the game here that didn't expect the ref's to screw the Bills at the end?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

1 hour ago, mannc said:

Might have been heartbreaking, but trying to win was the right call there.

Also in hindsight, there’s nothing about our play in crunch time this season to make me believe we’d have won that game in OT. We don’t play very loose or relaxed in those spots. 

16 minutes ago, stevewin said:

What is the source of this?  If it was shown on the broadcast it would have affected the conversation even more after the game including the national media.  More evidence for those already calling out the refs, and indisputable proof for the stop-crying-it-was-50-50 crowd.  Also makes you wonder if they had the angle in the production room but decided to not show it.

There have been a ton of non shows on bad calls this year.

Refs have been terrible. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, SirAndrew said:

Also in hindsight, there’s nothing about our play in crunch time this season to make me believe we’d have won that game in OT. We don’t play very loose or relaxed in those spots. 

They needed to score the TD at the end. Once it went OT I wasn't confident at all. I almost wished they would have lost 27-10 instead of coming back. At least that way you can say they got their ass kicked and get over it much better than having a heartbreaking loss which is what it turned out to be.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Yeah, at least buy us dinner first.  And thanks for stealing a great comeback and a gut it out performance by Allen with a PI call against the Bills defense they wouldn't make and obviously were afraid to make against Tampa's secondary with several opportunities to do so at the end of the 4th and OT.  Like we've seen so many times before the Bills get hurt by inconsistent officiating at a critical point in the game.  Was their anyone watching the end of the game here that didn't expect the ref's to screw the Bills at the end?

I expected the Bucs to commit penalties late in the game and OT.   I expected the refs not to call them.   They normally don't call them in those situations.   Yes the Bills got screwed.   And they will get screwed again the next time they are trying to come from behind and "hoping" or "relying" on a ref to make a call in their favor in that situation.    If you put yourself in the situation where you NEED a ref to make a call at the end of a game, you are most likely going to get screwed (unless Tom Brady is your quarterback).

The solution is more refs in the booths with more camera angles.   For each of those refs covering the receivers there should be a second ref in the booth working as a team to make the right call.    Those two refs for each side of the field should be in constant contact making a joint decision on whether there is a call or non call on each play with the booth ref having the tie breaking vote because they would get to view multiple angles.   In reality the sideline refs should be nothing more than puppets throwing the towels only when the booth ref has clear video evidence of a foul.    And the video evidence should be displayed for the fans at the game and on television for every single foul.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, PolishDave said:

I expected the Bucs to commit penalties late in the game and OT.   I expected the refs not to call them.   They normally don't call them in those situations.   Yes the Bills got screwed.   And they will get screwed again the next time they are trying to come from behind and "hoping" or "relying" on a ref to make a call in their favor in that situation.    If you put yourself in the situation where you NEED a ref to make a call at the end of a game, you are most likely going to get screwed (unless Tom Brady is your quarterback).

The solution is more refs in the booths with more camera angles.   For each of those refs covering the receivers there should be a second ref in the booth working as a team to make the right call.    Those two refs for each side of the field should be in constant contact making a joint decision on whether there is a call or non call on each play with the booth ref having the tie breaking vote because they would get to view multiple angles.   In reality the sideline refs should be nothing more than puppets throwing the towels only when the booth ref has clear video evidence of a foul.    And the video evidence should be displayed for the fans at the game and on television for every single foul.

More than missed calls my gripe with officiating is consistency.  Consistency throughout the game, between the crews, and week to week.  You watch 5 or 6 different games on a Sunday and you see 5 or 6 different standards being applied across the league.  In one game they let everything go and in another game they call everything including stuff that's not even close to being an infraction.      

I know these officials have a tough job and have to make split second judgments, but they've got to be more equitable and blind to the names on the backs of the jerseys when making calls.  Watching week to week and game to game you might be left with the impression these crews are playing favorites.  And who got the idea to eliminate PI reviews?    

Like yesterday, you're putting the flag away then put it away. Don't let 2 or 3 obvious calls against one team go and then make one against the other when the games in OT.  

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

More than missed calls my gripe with officiating is consistency.  Consistency throughout the game, between the crews, and week to week.  You watch 5 or 6 different games on a Sunday and you see 5 or 6 different standards being applied across the league.  In one game they let everything go and in another game they call everything including stuff that's not even close to being an infraction.      

I know these officials have a tough job and have to make split second judgments, but they've got to be more equitable and blind to the names on the backs of the jerseys when making calls.  Watching week to week and game to game you might be left with the impression these crews are playing favorites.  And who got the idea to eliminate PI reviews?    

Like yesterday, you're putting the flag away then put it away. Don't let 2 or 3 obvious calls against one team go and then make one against the other when the games in OT.  

We as fans have better viewing angles than the refs on the field do.   Each sideline ref gets only their one angle and they are expected to make the perfect call at full speed every time.  We get to see the play replayed again and again and again from multiple angles.    So the fix seems reasonably obvious to me - Give the refs the same viewing angles as the fans so that they can see what the fans can see.   Call penalties from the booth - but have the ref on the sideline throw the flag.  And make the officials provide video evidence of every penalty.   No evidence = no penalty.   In my opinion this is a no brainer that would reduce poor officiating substantially.   And it could be executed without slowing the game down like challenges do.  

• Disagree 1

9 minutes ago, PolishDave said:

We as fans have better viewing angles than the refs on the field do.   Each sideline ref gets only their one angle and they are expected to make the perfect call at full speed every time.  We get to see the play replayed again and again and again from multiple angles.    So the fix seems reasonably obvious to me - Give the refs the same viewing angles as the fans so that they can see what the fans can see.   Call penalties from the booth - but have the ref on the sideline throw the flag.  And make the officials provide video evidence of every penalty.   No evidence = no penalty.   In my opinion this is a no brainer that would reduce poor officiating substantially.   And it could be executed without slowing the game down like challenges do.  

Calls such as PI should not be dependent on camera angles as much as spotting the ball on 4th-and-1. Missing calls such as the Diggs shirt pull is ridiculous and is not even subject to debate or requiring of the right camera angle. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Everyone KNEW it was going to be a PI

5 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Calls such as PI should not be dependent on camera angles as much as spotting the ball on 4th-and-1. Missing calls such as the Diggs shirt pull is ridiculous and is not even subject to debate or requiring of the right camera angle. 

If you look at where the ref is standing and his viewing angle it is understandable how he did not see the jersey pulling.   And the way Diggs throws his hands up in the air it makes it looks like he is "over selling" the pass interference.    In this case it was interference and should have been called, but I can see how the ref on that side of the field missed it.    You can't miss that if you have enough camera angles to make the call.   In that case Diggs' body is blocking the view of the defender pulling his jersey.

If that ref gets to see what everyone else could see from multiple angles, I think he throws the flag.

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.