Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

On 8/11/2024 at 9:51 AM, All_Pro_Bills said:

How do you distinguish the truth from disinformation here? Dis meaning intent to deceive and mis meaning being misinformed and repeating it. Almost all "information" on this conflict is screened, produced, and approved by the Russian and Ukrainian governments. Neither is going to say a bad word about themselves. Exaggeration of their position is standard. Truth is we don't really know the facts. There's no independent press. They'll get arrested for telling the truth if it's bad for their government or side.

If you assume everything is a lie you'll be right more than wrong.

What's curiously weird is the people who claim to be the smartest tend to be the most gullible and always believe and obey authority. 

I chose my word specifically. Obviously a fire at a nuclear power plant is concerning. But I also looked at the photo and wondered what could be burning in a cooling tower, which is literally cement, pipes and water. So then I did a modicum of research and found multiple sources that said the Russians had set tires on fire in the cooling tower and then I applied my understanding of the way the Russians operate which led me to the conclusion that it was disinformation. I added my comment that it was disinformation so that everyone would have an opportunity to look at that post in a critical light.

Edited by Starr-Bills
Typos. I blame Siri.
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Doc said:

So anyone still think Russia has the ability to invade a NATO country?  Didn't think so.

That argument was preposterous from day three of their invasion when they got stranded on that highway.

That parade of Russian military equipment could have been completely wiped out in 30 minutes by any competent air strike using four attack armed airplanes.  

The threat of invading a NATO country has been used to justify support, but it is not valid.

In my view, the reason to support Ukraine is justified by other arguments.

I'm always hopeful, but being invaded and occupied by an enemy is dirt in Putin's eye.

Eventually, the Russians will see this and get rid of him, so there is no current path to that.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

It's a dangerous gambit, but Ukraine didn't see any other good options to change the momentum. At a minimum they've now got a lot of Russians to use for a POW exchange.

Agreed. I don’t expect they will hold the territory for long, but it’s shaken up that status quo a bit and provided a morale boost for the good guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

I really enjoy how insidious Russian propaganda is.  They do a fantastic job of projecting a detailed discussion and debate.  You almost forget that the whole thing is kabuki because none of this show would be permitted unless it served state purposes.  The job they do steelmanning the Ukrainian position so they can prime the viewing public for greater sacrifices... it's very slick, definitely showing the accumulated experience of 100ish years of authoritarian rule.  Just top notch theatre here 

20 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

No comment required 

Putin did this to his own people. 

It's been like this the whole time.  Team pro Russia chooses to ignore the thousands of videos showing Russian atrocities.   There was a castration video a year ago.  Worst thing I've ever seen.  Stupid me didn't think it was real. 

• Like (+1) 3

Ever hear of Southern Tier Brewery? Well, it is located in the General George Stoneman industrial park near Jamestown. Stoneman was a Union army general who was a failure, as far as I know. Following the disastrous Battle of Fredericksburg in Dec 1862 the Confederate army, which easily won that really sad battle, was in bad shape. Their only supply line was a RR stretching back to Richmond. Stoneman's job at the next battle of Chancellorsville was to take out that RR line. It might literally have won the war. The confederate army was starving, their horses and mules could barely move their equipment. Stoneman was to take 10,000 union troopers--that had just been reorganized, this was before they had earned their laurels at the heroic Brandy Station Battle--and cut that damn RR. But he never did. He just rode out and disappeared! Then the Battle of Chancellorsville happened 🥲

There is a guy on twitter hammer this point home now about the Russian army. The main army--hundreds of thousands of men--are down south, and badly supplied. Now Ukraine has shifted the battle back to the north and the Russian army is like a beached whale in the south. They are still attacking down there, which is no surprise because what else can they do? To move the army north might just not be possible on the failing Russia rail system. I'm just throwing this out there, but Russia might be in serious crisis now unable to really move their tired army to where it needs to go. If that was the purpose of this Ukrainian offensive, to use the interior lines of defense to change where the war is being fought, then bravo! The Russians were having trouble just supplying an army in one place, and for them to move that army, and supply it might just be too much. And what if they do and Ukraine simply retreats? Ukraine has made Russia waste its time and energy moving for nothing. 

This guy: