Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

19 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Yes.  Ww3 can't come soon enough eh 

This is all escalation to a place that's no good for anyone.

Are Ukrainian flying them?

Edited by Tommy Callahan

On 7/29/2024 at 2:54 PM, Doc said:

Can't buy an army...

Mercenaries?   Not really your point stands.  Conscription is a nasty business.   But life under Putin will be just as bad if not worse.  History has shown this repeatedly.   Otherwise eastern Europe wouldn't have such a deep seeded hatred for Russia.  

You really feel bad for rich brats clubbing while others fight?  I empathize a bit but...watch some of the front line clips they are extraordinary.   

4 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Mercenaries?   Not really your point stands.  Conscription is a nasty business.   But life under Putin will be just as bad if not worse.  History has shown this repeatedly.   Otherwise eastern Europe wouldn't have such a deep seeded hatred for Russia.  

You really feel bad for rich brats clubbing while others fight?  I empathize a bit but...watch some of the front line clips they are extraordinary.   

No, I don't feel bad for them.  But if they're killing their youth...

• Like (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Who is killing their youth?

Yeah I didn't get that either.  They're damned if they do damned if they don't.  If Ukraine was more western they'd be in nato and this wouldn't be a conversation. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

3 hours ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Yes.  Ww3 can't come soon enough eh 

This is all escalation to a place that's no good for anyone.

Are Ukrainian flying them?

This is a bad take. I mean look how you slurp up that Putin propaganda. 

2 hours ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Yes. It's called Peace Through Power. 

I think a former Republican President liked to say that.

The Republicans we knew are long gone.  In their place we have Twitter bots owned body and soul by an insurrectionist that they pretend is a savior.  Who would have thought 10 years ago they'd be eating up Russian propaganda and asking for seconds?  In this thread they amplify ANYTHING  negative about Ukraine.   Its almost comical. 

58 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

The Republicans we knew are long gone.  In their place we have Twitter bots owned body and soul by an insurrectionist that they pretend is a savior.  Who would have thought 10 years ago they'd be eating up Russian propaganda and asking for seconds?  In this thread they amplify ANYTHING  negative about Ukraine.   Its almost comical. 

They call every ordinary politician or commentator a "communist" while conveniently pretending that Russia is not led by an actual unreformed KGB communist who is still seeking to reconstitute the old Soviet Union, the crumbling of which was his greatest humiliation.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

They call every ordinary politician or commentator a "communist" while conveniently pretending that Russia is not led by an actual unreformed KGB communist who is still seeking to reconstitute the old Soviet Union, the crumbling of which was his greatest humiliation.

I'm telling you, in the not too distant future, when this cancer is dead, they'll be shouting loudest that they did NOT support Trump.  In the distant future these buffoons will be looked on with scorn by all.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

6 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Most of this is irrelevant. The disagreement is over the risk vs. reward assessment and the cost in cash and material with intervention in Ukraine. You and others, and many in our government discount the risk of escalation into a regional conflict with Russia. And over-state benefits. Driven by an absurd belief Putin's goal is to re-assemble the former Soviet Union. Russia has neither the economic or military might to pull that off. They know it, we know it. But the idea sells well here with the simpletons.

Another problem is there's not a lot of critical thinking when it comes to assessing Washington's interventions, past and present. The record is at best incomplete and more likely a failure. It certainly can't be characterized as a succes. The policy is a relic from a time long since gone. Historical performance suggests we come out on the losing end here, again. What was last time the neoliberal/neocon war hawks actually won a war they supported, I don't know.

As for the supporting democracy angle that's a ruse. If anything is comical that's it. Washington supports and tolerates many monarchies and dictatorships when it's convenient and suits their needs. Look no further than oil rich Middle Eastern kingdoms for an example of such an interest. 

• Like (+1) 1