Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

4 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Vance was a Marine Corps journalist/correspondent. He was deployed to Iraq, basically as an in-house reporter, for I think 6 months.

So yes, he was in an active war theater, much like Al Gore's service in the Vietnam era.

I'm not in any way belittling his service - he was obviously bright and worked his way into that assignment - but I'm not sure it's accurate to say he fought in a war.

What branch did you serve in?

Just now, Tommy Callahan said:

What branch did you serve in?

None.

But what did I say that was wrong?

Vance enlisted in the Marine Corps, served honorably including in Iraq, but there is no indication that he "fought in a war." If I'm wrong, well, please point to something that corrects me.

• Eyeroll 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

None.

But what did I say that was wrong?

Vance enlisted in the Marine Corps, served honorably including in Iraq, but there is no indication that he "fought in a war." If I'm wrong, well, please point to something that corrects me.

Being in an active theater of war counts as fighting in a war, even in a clerical position.

Your life is at risk from mortar and rocket attacks. You're in the middle of an active insurgency. It counts.

Edited by yall
  • Agree 3

Vance enlisted in the Corps as a combat correspondent, or 4341 military occupational specialty, according to his service record, which was provided to Military.com by the service on Monday. He served for four years, from 2003 to 2007.

During that time, he deployed to Iraq for six months. The last enlisted vice president was Al Gore, who similarly deployed to Vietnam for six months as an Army correspondent. Vance earned the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, and some conventional honors awarded during the Global War on Terror.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/07/16/jd-vances-marine-corps-service-would-set-him-apart-most-vice-presidents.html

Just now, yall said:

Being in an active theater of war counts as fighting in a war, even in a clerical position.

You're life is at risk from mortar and rocket attacks. You're in the middle of an active insurgency. It counts.

No doubt that's true. Again, I'm not arguing about any of that other than the descriptor "fought" in a war.

Served in a war theater? Even in a combat zone? Sure.

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Vance enlisted in the Corps as a combat correspondent, or 4341 military occupational specialty, according to his service record, which was provided to Military.com by the service on Monday. He served for four years, from 2003 to 2007.

During that time, he deployed to Iraq for six months. The last enlisted vice president was Al Gore, who similarly deployed to Vietnam for six months as an Army correspondent. Vance earned the Marine Corps Good Conduct Medal, Navy and Marine Corps Achievement Medal, Iraq Campaign Medal, Sea Service Deployment Ribbon, and some conventional honors awarded during the Global War on Terror.

https://www.military.com/daily-news/2024/07/16/jd-vances-marine-corps-service-would-set-him-apart-most-vice-presidents.html

No doubt that's true. Again, I'm not arguing about any of that other than the descriptor "fought" in a war.

Served in a war theater? Even in a combat zone? Sure.

Yeah, "fought" is fine.

If there are any other vets here that disagree, feel free to chime in. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

58 minutes ago, JDHillFan said:

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/18/europe/ukraine-germany-aid-halved-intl/index.html

Germany effing Ukraine. Somehow that becomes a TRUMP headline.

It's CNN, what did you expect?  Germany decides on their own to halve funding to Ukraine and they just had to stick Trump's name in there so as to blame him. :rolleyes:

40 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

And water is dry...

Fascism and lies, hand and hand

Oh, the hypocrisy!  Thanks for taking the bait.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Doc said:

Putin favored Biden.

Whether Putin favored Biden or not from a results perspective it seems like the manipulated results of 2020 US election worked out pretty well for him. He skirted the sanctions, ditched the US dollar and set other countries on course to do the same, established closer ties with China, consolidated alliances with other anti-US countries, weakened the economies of Europe, and occupies Crimea and other provinces that have majority ethnic Russian populations. Feeble Joe and his gang of misfits and cretins handed Putin all of this and people want to say he favored Trump? They're in denial of reality and can't be reasoned with or think critically. So don't bother trying.  

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

13 minutes ago, Doc said:

It's CNN, what did you expect?  Germany decides on their own to halve funding to Ukraine and they just had to stick Trump's name in there so as to blame him. :rolleyes:

Oh, the hypocrisy!  Thanks for taking the bait.

Sure Comrade

You are pro-Putin, just like the rest of MAGA

• Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Whether Putin favored Biden or not from a results perspective it seems like the manipulated results of 2020 US election worked out pretty well for him. He skirted the sanctions, ditched the US dollar and set other countries on course to do the same, established closer ties with China, consolidated alliances with other anti-US countries, weakened the economies of Europe, and occupies Crimea and other provinces that have majority ethnic Russian populations. Feeble Joe and his gang of misfits and cretins handed Putin all of this and people want to say he favored Trump? They're in denial of reality and can't be reasoned with or think critically. So don't bother trying.  

Oh, I wasn't.  I was trying to bait him into making a hypocrite of himself...and it worked.

• Like (+1) 1