Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

5 minutes ago, AlBUNDY4TDS said:

I literally brought it up once. You are in the running for whinest poster on here. Congratulations, Son!

Let's hear more.  What did I whine about?  And your previous post, where and how was I talking in circles?  

Please enlighten me.

1 minute ago, wnyguy said:

LOL This reminds me of a scene in Pope of Greenwich Village

Yeah, I keep circling to the thought that this is a low point in American politics (outside the Civil war).

2 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Let's hear more.  What did I whine about?  And your previous post, where and how was I talking in circles?  

Please enlighten me.

Yeah, I keep circling to the thought that this is a low point in American politics (outside the Civil war).

Yes, yes it's getting pretty low, I can agree.

Rumor is N Korea is going to send troops to Russia.   Russia is going to help NKorea with advancing nuke capabilities.   Not good.

Direct response to escalations I think.  

Hopefully it's not real or doesn't work out.

• Agree 1

On 6/26/2024 at 1:05 PM, L Ron Burgundy said:

Rumor is N Korea is going to send troops to Russia.   Russia is going to help NKorea with advancing nuke capabilities.   Not good.

Direct response to escalations I think.  

Hopefully it's not real or doesn't work out.

Seems like North Korea is sending engineering/construction troops. If true, that’s absolutely massive for a country that’s never had troops outside of Korea. 

7 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Seems like North Korea is sending engineering/construction troops. If true, that’s absolutely massive for a country that’s never had troops outside of Korea. 

Not *technically* true. The Norks have training missions with a number of allied African nations, namely Zimbabwe.

So they have a thin veneer of diplomatic cover for sending engineering and construction troops to the Donbas.

Assuming of course they are actually "engineering and construction" troops. Rather than say, something like the "volunteers" that China sent to North Korea that effectively replaced the North Korean People's Army and stalemated the Korean War.  Or the "support troops" that China sent to North Vietnam to man anti-aircraft defenses and transport supplies. Or the strange number of Soviet Air Force pilots who became fighter aces from 1950-53, and 1965-72, even though the Soviet Union wasn't technically at war with anybody with an air force...

• Like (+1) 3

20 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Yeah I heard the same.  Might just be what Russia and NK want everyone to think.  We'll see soon most likely. 

Well duh.

Ukraine to be told it is too corrupt to join NATO

by Joe Barnes

BB1pidJ4.img?w=768&h=480&m=6&x=932&y=460

Ukraine will be told it is currently too corrupt to join Nato, in a major blow to Volodymyr Zelensky.

The alliance will request “additional steps” from Kyiv before membership talks progress, a senior official in the US State Department said.

The position will be set out in writing in the Nato communique to be signed at the alliance’s annual summit on July 9.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-to-be-told-it-is-too-corrupt-to-join-nato/ar-BB1pi74i

• Agree 2

7 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Well duh.

by Joe Barnes

Ukraine will be told it is currently too corrupt to join Nato, in a major blow to Volodymyr Zelensky.

The alliance will request “additional steps” from Kyiv before membership talks progress, a senior official in the US State Department said.

The position will be set out in writing in the Nato communique to be signed at the alliance’s annual summit on July 9.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/ukraine-to-be-told-it-is-too-corrupt-to-join-nato/ar-BB1pi74i

If true that means the "phone call" impeachment was a joke like many of us knew.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Good God. . . . . . C'mon November.

US to provide $2.3 bn in new security aid for Ukraine

Agence France-Presse, by Staff

The United States will provide a new $2.3 billion security assistance package for Ukraine that will include key air defense and anti-tank weapons, US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin said Tuesday. The announcement comes as Kyiv’s weakened and outgunned forces are struggling to hold back invading Russian troops, with Moscow regularly claiming the capture of new villages in eastern Ukraine. “The United States will soon announce more than $2.3 billion in new security assistance for Ukraine,” Austin said at the start of a meeting with his Ukrainian counterpart Rustem Umerov.

https://www.kyivpost.com/post/35213

https://www.reuters.com/world/us-set-announce-over-23-bln-weapons-package-ukraine-pentagon-2024-07-02/

https://www.cnn.com/2024/07/02/politics/us-ukraine-military-assistance-package/index.html

• Eyeroll 2

Posted (edited)

Wild story I heard on the “No Jumper” podcast, interviewing the band Slaughter to Prevail, a really popular deathcore band that now lives in Florida.

A member of the band who’s from the UK was in Ukraine recently because his girlfriend is from there. 

They were going out to a club and were warned beforehand not to go. 

Apparently there’s a curfew where some big nightclubs are able to stay open but no one is allowed on the streets between 1am and 5 am.  Due to that, you could go to the club and party, but you literally cannot leave until 5 am, or face arrest.  

Ukrainian military would go to these clubs and identify any male Ukrainian nationals and immediately take them back to the military for processing into the war. 

So these teens/twenty-somethings would be in the middle of partying at a club and then get loaded onto buses and sent to the military to be immediately deployed to war. 

And the band is anti-war, and the lead singer has to be careful about going back to Russia & has faced threats from Russians for his stance .. so they’re not just spreading propaganda. 

Crazy. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, B-Man said:

Well duh.

by Joe Barnes

Can’t be true, they are the beacon of the free world now. The shining example of democracy that must be supported however long it takes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 hours ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Can’t be true, they are the beacon of the free world now. The shining example of democracy that must be supported however long it takes. 

Corruption is exactly what US policy makers want here. One reason for the resistance to audits and checks. It's a lot easier to control corrupt officials, bribed by or stealing large amounts of money earmarked for aid and assistance, than it is to control an honest person. If they suddenly develop a conscious and actually work for the betterment of their country, then they get outed and replaced by somebody willing to play along. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1