Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

Great piece on weaponry and starlink from UB grad Terry Gross interviewing a reporter who’s covering it. He also reported on Guliani for years. Some interesting comments:

https://www.npr.org/2023/09/13/1199222328/ny-times-reporter-details-the-struggle-within-the-military-to-modernize-its-forc

LIPTON: Yes, I mean, no question. And again, everyone you speak with at the Department of Defense will tell you that they're tracking the commercial technology in particular that's been used in Ukraine. I mean, it's the traditional, you know, missile systems and other, you know, heavy artillery that has played - it's still a 20th century war effectively that's being fought in Ukraine. But on the margins, the drones and the satellite imagery and the - you know, the artificial intelligence that is helping with targeting that Palantir is bringing - they're making significant impact on Ukraine's side and its ability to challenge a much bigger nation and a much bigger military force.

And so I think that DOD has looked at the innovative use of this new technology, and it's - and it has really shown the Pentagon that they must move more quickly to embrace, you know, everything from satellite-based imagery that's put up there by commercial companies at a much cheaper cost. You know, you can flood the orbit with these much smaller and inexpensive satellites that would be harder to take out in - by Chinese, if they were to go and strike in space. And you can, you know, build swarms of drones, and, you know, these are all things that Ukraine is - has done, and it's really sort of - it's a version of a modern war that we haven't experienced in the world before that - I think that has really enlightened the Pentagon to - that this isn't esoteric. This is real. We have to act now.

Edited by Joe Ferguson forever

On 9/7/2023 at 11:53 AM, Doc said:

If this is "winning" I don't want to see losing...

Nobody really wins in these conflicts innocent people are the ones that take the brunt

On 9/9/2023 at 12:41 PM, Tiberius said:

I was next to the patriot missile silos as they were firing in Iraq. It really is some amazing stuff.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Tiberius said:

Slow steady progress. Putin will lose Crimea 

Getting all happy about all of them Russian civilians in Crimea being ground up along with all the soldiers from both sides

its ghoulish

especially when one realizes people make money from it (cough, cough)

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Getting all happy about all of them Russian civilians in Crimea being ground up along with all the soldiers from both sides

its ghoulish

especially when one realizes people make money from it (cough, cough)

The Russians are the invaders.  They should flee crimea and no one gets hurt...

the Biden administration is mulling giving Ukraine the Pentagon's long-range Army Tactical Missile Systems, or ATACMS, which is capable of hitting targets 190 miles away. Per ABC News:

on top of Ukraine using UK supplied cruise missiles.

its all just driving escalation and carnage. 

• Agree 1

The walls be closing in 

Wednesday’s attacks on Russia’s Black Sea Fleet “almost certainly” caused major damage to a landing ship and submarine as they underwent maintenance at the Sevastopol naval base, Britain’s Defense Ministry said Friday. Open-source material indicates that the landing ship Minsk “has almost certainly been functionally destroyed, while the [Rostov-na-Donu submarine] has likely suffered catastrophic damage,” the ministry said. It added that repairs to the submarine are “likely to take many years and cost hundreds of millions of dollars,” while removing wreckage could leave the docks “out of use for many months.”

--Was post

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, B-Man said:

End the war.

But then the ones making bank from this carnage might have to find another source of revenue.

one of the biggest cheerleaders for the carnage openly stated its profiting from its investment in some shady military industrial company.

3 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

MAGA wants to kill the constitution...Kill America! 

That's MAGA 

Riiiiiiiiight.  AND libs want to "fundamentally transform" America into a land of illegals, transgenders and criminals.

• Haha (+1) 1