Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

2 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

Oh, so you don't follow wars so hard for the profit you make.

just purely get off on carnage.  

whatevers.

See, saying stupid sh it like that just shows what an idiot you are. 

• Eyeroll 1

This sentiment has been all over Twitter from Ukrainians. 

So done with this war and “pretending” like there are any good guys. 

The conflict is far deeper than what western media has propagandized.  

Russia went way too far by invading eastern Ukraine.  That is a valid point that anyone should concede. 

That said, Russia’s govt is evil and Ukraines is corrupt.  Americans would be shocked at the level of sub-humanity in the conflict, from the Russians obviously.. but also from the Ukrainians.

It’s always been there.  Media just won’t report it.  

Mask off. 

3 hours ago, SCBills said:

This sentiment has been all over Twitter from Ukrainians. 

So done with this war and “pretending” like there are any good guys. 

The conflict is far deeper than what western media has propagandized.  

Russia went way too far by invading eastern Ukraine.  That is a valid point that anyone should concede. 

That said, Russia’s govt is evil and Ukraines is corrupt.  Americans would be shocked at the level of sub-humanity in the conflict, from the Russians obviously.. but also from the Ukrainians.

It’s always been there.  Media just won’t report it.  

Mask off. 

As someone who has actually seen this stuff for firsthand the people that I truly care for are the Ukrainian citizens

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

2 hours ago, John from Riverside said:

As someone who has actually seen this stuff for firsthand the people that I truly care for are the Ukrainian citizens

Then you should wish for the war to stop and for America to stop funding the proxy war “just enough” for perpetual conflict. 

The Ukrainian govt is forcing their fathers and sons to fight, many against their will.  

Russian citizens are also thrown into the meat grinder against their will.  

If you’re going to respond with “Russia can retreat and stop the war whenever”.. well, that’s not going to happen.  

I also think you vastly overestimate the humanity from the Ukrainian side .. they are not, and have not for years, been innocent in all this. 

As usual, NATO expansion and the MIC destroys another region of the world. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Then you should wish for the war to stop and for America to stop funding the proxy war “just enough” for perpetual conflict. 

The Ukrainian govt is forcing their fathers and sons to fight, many against their will.  

If you’re going to respond with “Russia can retreat and stop the war whenever”.. well, that’s not going to happen.  

I also think you vastly overestimate the humanity from the Ukrainian side .. they are not, and have not for years, been innocent in all this. 

So you want appeasement? You want us to stop helping a free nation defend itself, isn't that right? 

20 minutes ago, SCBills said:

You know that if Russia wins and Ukraine is under Russian control, similar to a Chechnya, people will still die right?  It wont get attention but will definitely happen.  Also, they won't have anything resembling what we call freedom.  They are choosing to fight for that.  Which I assume nearly every American would do if somehow roles were reversed.

41 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

You know that if Russia wins and Ukraine is under Russian control, similar to a Chechnya, people will still die right?  It wont get attention but will definitely happen.  Also, they won't have anything resembling what we call freedom.  They are choosing to fight for that.  Which I assume nearly every American would do if somehow roles were reversed.

Let's say you're correct.  If it's the only way to stop that are you willing to support the commitment of US forces to combat operations?  

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Let's say you're correct.  If it's the only way to stop that are you willing to support the commitment of US forces to combat operations?  

No.  Keep doing what we're doing.  I'd like to give them less money but that's me being selfish.  I'm also hoping we get something on the backend when rebuilding starts.  Maybe that's callous but sheeeeit that's a Lotta money.

And I am right.  It's happened in every country Russia controls.  Ukraine would maybe be worse because they embarrassed Putin. 

3 hours ago, Tiberius said:

So you want appeasement? You want us to stop helping a free nation defend itself, isn't that right? 

If this was happening on the continent of Africa, we wouldn’t be involved.. and you know it.  

Yes.   I think working out a deal between Ukraine and Russia over long disputed land in Crimea and the Donbas, along with negotiations on NATO expansion is preferable for most involved over a long, drawn out war that will end up in (at minimum) more death and destruction and (at most) a global realignment and WW3. 

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

No.  Keep doing what we're doing.  I'd like to give them less money but that's me being selfish.  I'm also hoping we get something on the backend when rebuilding starts.  Maybe that's callous but sheeeeit that's a Lotta money.

And I am right.  It's happened in every country Russia controls.  Ukraine would maybe be worse because they embarrassed Putin. 

I ask that question because I believe the only way for Ukraine to "win" what has become a war of attrition is for the US or some other NATO member country to commit combat forces on the ground.  We haven't reached that tipping point yet as the clear strategy is to supply more and more sophisticated weapons deliveries.  The latest commitment being the pledge of F-16's.  By the time these aircraft are delivered and the flight crews trained I don't think these aircraft will make much of a difference. 

My conclusion based on what information is available is what Ukraine needs more than anything is a large number of well trained soldiers rather than more advanced weapons systems.  At this point I don't expect Ukraine can field such a force on their own as this war of attrition just by shear numbers favor Russia.  The soldiers would need to come from someplace else.  Obviously, any decision to become involved in combat operations would take this conflict in an entirely different and unknown direction. 

As officials out of Washington has said they're prepared to do "whatever it takes for as long as it takes" I think that's where we're eventually headed.  They won't say it because the American public absolutely is against such a more but that's what it's going to take.  So I'm watching for subtle clues and comments intended to soften up the public to the idea.  In some 6-9 month time frame we'll begin to hear louder and louder calls from the standard war hawks about the need to directly intervene..  

• Like (+1) 2

36 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

I ask that question because I believe the only way for Ukraine to "win" what has become a war of attrition is for the US or some other NATO member country to commit combat forces on the ground.  We haven't reached that tipping point yet as the clear strategy is to supply more and more sophisticated weapons deliveries.  The latest commitment being the pledge of F-16's.  By the time these aircraft are delivered and the flight crews trained I don't think these aircraft will make much of a difference. 

My conclusion based on what information is available is what Ukraine needs more than anything is a large number of well trained soldiers rather than more advanced weapons systems.  At this point I don't expect Ukraine can field such a force on their own as this war of attrition just by shear numbers favor Russia.  The soldiers would need to come from someplace else.  Obviously, any decision to become involved in combat operations would take this conflict in an entirely different and unknown direction. 

As officials out of Washington has said they're prepared to do "whatever it takes for as long as it takes" I think that's where we're eventually headed.  They won't say it because the American public absolutely is against such a more but that's what it's going to take.  So I'm watching for subtle clues and comments intended to soften up the public to the idea.  In some 6-9 month time frame we'll begin to hear louder and louder calls from the standard war hawks about the need to directly intervene..  

You may be right about well trained soldiers, makes sense.  Though they are getting a lot of outside help in terms of training.  It may depend on how many Ukrainians are willing to fight.   Thus far the numbers have been good.  I know they've had to draft some but I'd say that's expected.   They've even had some celebrities and athletes join which speaks to their cause.  Time will tell.