Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

3 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

and there have been frequent hand changes in S and C American countries but you are correct, other than the Falklands and the other one, the borders haven't changed.  you got me!!!

Not interested in "getting you."

But.... You have a post above that has a quote from me that is grossly inaccurate.

You seem to have deleted what I said, and included what you did.

Honest editing mistake, but to make the record clear, I never said what you posted I said.

2 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Not interested in "getting you."

But.... You have a post above that has a quote from me that is grossly inaccurate.

You seem to have deleted what I said, and included what you did.

Honest editing mistake, but to make the record clear, I never said what you posted I said.

so have there been wars that resulted in border changes since WW2 and if yes, pls give examples?  what we have here is a failure to communicate

9 minutes ago, redtail hawk said:

so have there been wars that resulted in border changes since WW2 and if yes, pls give examples?  what we have here is a failure to communicate

Never made that claim.

Someone else did and I'm not going to comment.

It's hard enough refuting what you deny saying, and further correcting misquoted posts.

O the other hand........Re the Falklands, since you brought it into this, if we ever have a discussion on that, I'd be glad to inform the group on interesting tid bits.

Allied ships passing in the night and exchanging things, outside of Congressional approval.

The way things work.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, redtail hawk said:

must have had a brain shart...boundaries have changed immensely in Eastern Europe and the middle east (the Israeli's are still redefining borders).  Crimea for goodness sake.  and S and Central American countries are constantly changing hands

Hawk…the examples you cited aren’t significant armed conflicts that America was involved with, even if you count our complacent ceding of Crimea. But Korea, Viet Nam, Iraq, Afghanistan, and possibly Ukraine would all fall into the category. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ChiGoose said:

In reality, the war started because the Ukrainian president went against the will of the people and cancelled plans to move the country towards the West in favor of closer relations with Russia. The people revolted and forced the president out. 

Putin couldn’t have that so he invaded Crimea under false pretenses. When that did not deter Ukraine’s move towards the West, he apparently decided to try to take over the whole country and install a puppet government. 

As much as people want to stretch the truth so they can blame Biden, the sole reason this was exists is because Putin wants to restore the USSR. 

But that government was elected through the democratic process.  And governments acting against the wishes of the majority of it's citizens is not unusual.  So there was a coup?  An insurrection.  I thought our government frowned upon insurrections?

The problem faced by the Ukrainian people is the historical track record of US interventions and proxy wars.  Where are all the examples of the promised shinning democracies? The record reveals it never ends well for the citizens of the host country.  The leaders sell out the people for money, throw their forces into a meat grinder, and in the end flee with a suitcase full of loot to places like Palm Beach.  That's how this proxy war will end too.  At some point Washington's attention will move to other interests.

3 minutes ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

The problem faced by the Ukrainian people is the historical track record of US interventions and proxy wars.  Where are all the examples of the promised shinning democracies? The record reveals it never ends well for the citizens of the host country.  The leaders sell out the people for money, throw their forces into a meat grinder, and in the end flee with a suitcase full of loot to places like Palm Beach.  That's how this proxy war will end too. 

Come on.

The problem faced by the Ukrainian people is being attacked by the Putin Russian regime.

"Promising democracy" has nothing to do with it.

The ultimate responsibility lies with the citizens of the country wanting freedom or status quo.

It is on them.

29 minutes ago, sherpa said:

Come on.

The problem faced by the Ukrainian people is being attacked by the Putin Russian regime.

"Promising democracy" has nothing to do with it.

The ultimate responsibility lies with the citizens of the country wanting freedom or status quo.

It is on them.

So if China made a deal with Mexico to park a couple Army divisions and tactical weapons along the US border our government would be okay with that action?  And all the proponents of countries being able to "do whatever they want" in the examples of Ukraine would be cool with that?  Because that's what Ukraine in NATO meant to Moscow. 

Now I'm not siding with the Russians here but failure to objectively understand your enemies goals and motivations can lead to missteps and mistakes. 

You may disagree with my first paragraph but based on your posting history and statements of you experience I expect you agree with my second paragraph here.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

What I commented on was your claim that the Ukraine has a problem with the US and proxy wars.

The US does what it does.

It eliminated the Iraqis from Kuwait in the most brilliant military campaign ever.

Kuwait decided to remain a country.

It then eliminated the Saddam regime in another brilliant military campaign.

The Iraqis allowed Iranian and other forces to  undermine whatever hope that country had.

The Us demolished the Taliban in Afghanistan in another superb military performance.

The tribal leaders permitted ISIS and others to get a foothold.

The point is that the US has not failed thee countries, their own people have.

The US can assist the Ukraine in prohibiting a Russian takeover.

It cannot determine what comes next, and that is not a US failure, and was not in either Kuwait, Iraq nor Afghanistan.

Ultimately, that result is on them.

5 hours ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

Lol there you go, you're proven wrong as is normal and you resort to its all fake.  Maybe you are just too old for the internet?  1 min on YouTube and you can find multiple videos on the war.  You saying they're deep fakes is the cheapest cop out there is.

Sure thing Ghost of Kiev.  

17 minutes ago, L Ron Burgundy said:

A scared old man that acts like he's 4.  Unfortunately your type of crazy has become typical of most conservatives.  

No you’re the gullible dupe that bought fake news.  

Stay 6 feet apart and flatten that curve low infos….

You people have zero credibility 

Time to listen to the “conspiracy theorists”

3 minutes ago, Big Blitz said:

No you’re the gullible dupe that bought fake news.  

Stay 6 feet apart and flatten that curve low infos….

Boring too huh?  Scared, boring old man.  Really do feel sorry for people that seek conspiracy because they've unable to comprehend the world around them. 

• Like (+1) 1