Democracy’s Fiery Ordeal: The War in Ukraine 🇺🇦

Tiberius

2 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Without the help of anyone, I know 

I’ve always thought this was an interesting philosophical discussion and it’s actually at the heart of all our internal division. There’s a balance, an equilibrium, between what you get and what you gave in every society. One side believes that balance needs to move further in the direction of you ‘getting’ from others, and the other side believes they’ve ‘given’ more than enough. You obviously cannot have a functioning civilization at either polar end. But…I personally believe the modern LEFT would like to see us move really close to all ‘getting’….ever widening the so called safety net….while I don’t know a single person on the RIGHT that believes in total individualism…the so called every man for himself philosophy.

It’s that simple. 

4 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve always thought this was an interesting philosophical discussion and it’s actually at the heart of all our internal division. There’s a balance, an equilibrium, between what you get and what you gave in every society. One side believes that balance needs to move further in the direction of you ‘getting’ from others, and the other side believes they’ve ‘given’ more than enough. You obviously cannot have a functioning civilization at either polar end. But…I personally believe the modern LEFT would like to see us move really close to all ‘getting’….ever widening the so called safety net….while I don’t know a single person on the RIGHT that believes in total individualism…the so called every man for himself philosophy.

It’s that simple. 

Creating an open health care system allows more people to rise and be doers 

1 minute ago, Tiberius said:

Creating an open health care system allows more people to rise and be doers 

You might be surprised to learn that I’m not a big healthcare voter. My concern with universal healthcare is that while spreading a wider net will of course cover everyone, it almost certainly means that the quality of care will be diminished. 

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Without the help of anyone, I know 

So tiring.  This is that same argument that Obama made with the "you didn't build that" argument.  I did build it, leveraging what people put into the system before me. But my net input to the system far exceeds any output I have received from said system. And I am ok with that because I want other hard workers to have the opportunity to succeed as I did. 

Just now, Tenhigh said:

So tiring.  This is that same argument that Obama made with the "you didn't build that" argument.  I did build it, leveraging what people put into the system before me. But my net input to the system far exceeds any output I have received from said system. And I am ok with that because I want other hard workers to have the opportunity to succeed as I did. 

See my post above. It’s a delicate balance between giving and getting.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

Well, just like auto insurance, you put more in than you hope to take out. No big deal. It's  how it works.....an d it works well :) 

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Well, just like auto insurance, you put more in than you hope to take out. No big deal. It's  how it works.....an d it works well :) 

Not exactly. You actually have auto insurance to protect others. You have health insurance to protect yourself. But I know what you mean. 

7 minutes ago, Tenhigh said:

It works better for some than others.

Works fine all around, actually. Take off the political blinders 

Are you upset red states get more federal money and representation in government than blue states? 

38 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

Works fine all around, actually. Take off the political blinders 

Are you upset red states get more federal money and representation in government than blue states? 

No, I am upset that lazy people are often rewarded for it.  

21 hours ago, Tenhigh said:

I'm against me paying for your healthcare, if that's what you mean.  Get a job and get your own, because mine is already too expensive. 

Unfortunately, we've all been paying for the 10's of millions of uninsured people.

The uninsured use ER's and hospitals for their primary care because they can't be turned away when they're sick or injured, and have no means of pay. Those costs get passed on to those with insurance through increased prices. 

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Tiberius said:

That does suck. But a lot of hard working people are hurt by not having access to health care. That's wrong 

Stop with the talking points. They have “access to health care”. They can’t afford the INSURANCE. That’s different. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

So I watched pretty good interview on CNN while running at the gym this morning. They were interviewing some dude representing the European Union. When asked why the EU wasn't doing more to help their neighbor, Ukraine, the guy starts waffling all over the place (I burst out laughing on the treadmill)....and he then tells the interviewer that the US must understand the EU is very intertwined with Russia, so it's "complicated" for them. You've got be kidding me! Where's Tibs when we need him? These are not serious people.

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

So I watched pretty good interview on CNN while running at the gym this morning. They were interviewing some dude representing the European Union. When asked why the EU wasn't doing more to help their neighbor, Ukraine, the guy starts waffling all over the place (I burst out laughing on the treadmill)....and he then tells the interviewer that the US must understand the EU is very intertwined with Russia, so it's "complicated" for them. You've got be kidding me! Where's Tibs when we need him? These are not serious people.

In 2021, the European Union imported 155 billion cubic metres of natural gas from Russia, accounting for around 45% of EU gas imports

https://www.iea.org/news/how-europe-can-cut-natural-gas-imports-from-russia-significantly-within-a-year

26 minutes ago, ALF said:

In 2021, the European Union imported 155 billion cubic metres of natural gas from Russia, accounting for around 45% of EU gas imports

https://www.iea.org/news/how-europe-can-cut-natural-gas-imports-from-russia-significantly-within-a-year

Exactly.  An unchecked invasion in Ukraine is what comes from all of this. Everything is connected.