JP's past...

mcbride -

Johnson hit Price for like a 30 yard TD.  Kearse was unblockable and got to Johnson for a sack - but we had NO RIGHT TACKLE that game (hicks injured?) Johnson then led the team on a game-winning march to the Tennessee 23, thanks to a 14-yard pass to Price, a 12-yard run by Jonathan Linton and a 9-yard pass to Price. On the play before the final completion to Price, Johnson lost his shoe and was unable to replace it because the clock was ticking down but still executed the crucial play shoeless.

325404[/snapback]

he didn't throw any td passes that game, and gave up two fumbles. hicks played rt in that game. tennessee had the 25th ranked passing defense in the league that year.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/1999/20000108/boxscore/buften.html

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

That game wasn't great.  Leading a team to 16 points isn't great.  One drive that ends in a FG late in the game isn't "great" (though I was impressed with his ability, to just once, overcome adversity).  Great is probably the most overused term in our society.

That roster was far from pathetic and if Johnson or Flutie were just better than average that team would have been in the Super Bowl instead of losing the WC game on the road.

325419[/snapback]

thank you, darin!

he didn't throw any td passes that game, and gave up two fumbles. hicks played rt in that game. tennessee had the 25th ranked passing defense in the league that year. 

http://espn.go.com/nfl/1999/20000108/boxscore/buften.html

325535[/snapback]

one other thing:

re tennessee's vaunted defense in 1999, here are some stats:

Team Defense

|---------- PASSING -----------||----- RUSHING -----| TOTAL

CMP ATT YD YPA TD INT ATT YD YPA TD YD

312 557 4000 7.18 26 16 383 1550 4.05 8 5550

NFL rank ---> 15 18 26 27 28 18 4 10 22 9 18

TN's defense in 1999 (this time, more legibly):

Team Defense

they also played a couple of games with scores like 36-35 and 47-36

TN's defense in 1999 (this time, more legibly):

Team Defense

they also played a couple of games with scores like 36-35 and 47-36

325545[/snapback]

jeez - this never comes out lined up properly. here's the link re tennessee's defense in 1999, for those who are interested.

http://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/oti1999.htm

someone most likely posted this, but i think it was interesting:

JP stated that he was NOT rob johnson and that his dad did cement work and his mom worked 2 jobs.  while i like his modest past and candor, is he trying to hard to be a blue collar/ buffalo type guy?  just be yourself JP and play hard and win games.  the fans will love you for who you are on the field - nothing else.  these sentences - where he relates to fans - are strange.  is sam W. writting these?

325363[/snapback]

I think RJ's father is one of those high-falootin' carpenters who coached football after work. I also think RJ did or didn't do things the way he did because he didn't want to be a phony. The reality is that the majority of what comes out of our "favorite" players mouth is custom made for public consumption and often very light on truth. RJ wasn't a slouch in terms of hard work and he was tougher than his body was strong. He just never turned into a good QB, and part of that was not understanding his audience and giving them an excuse to turn on him and make his job even more difficult. Losman may be full of BS, but he's doing the right thing.

I think RJ's father is one of those high-falootin' carpenters who coached football after work.  I also think RJ did or didn't do things the way he did because he didn't want to be a phony.  The reality is that the majority of what comes out of our "favorite" players mouth is custom made for public consumption and often very light on truth.  RJ wasn't a slouch in terms of hard work and he was tougher than his body was strong.  He just never turned into a good QB, and part of that was not understanding his audience and giving them an excuse to turn on him and make his job even more difficult.  Losman may be full of BS, but he's doing the right thing.

325567[/snapback]

nicely said.

I don't think JP would make an issue of it except that he is getting tired of the Rob Johnson comparisons. He wants it known those comparisons aren't valid. Can't say as I blame him.

Gents,

As someone who grew up in Buffalo and now lives in California I know exactly what JP's trying to say. There are many bitter, angry people who live in Buffalo and want to use the tired old "I work harder than you California pansies" line. I hear it all the time when I go home on leave. There are people left in that city who have this attitude about anything not from Buffalo...that it's all bad. In a larger sense, it's that type of mentality that, IMO is what's killing the city. I'm sure many of you know the type...because you don't stay out drinking until 0400, but instead work hard to get ahead in life your some sort of weak being. I've never understood that logic.

I agree with JP, give the kid a break, he's not RJ, and I'm pretty sure he's going to show us that with his play on the field. I can't say I blame him for being tired of the comparison...shoot when did RJ ever spend as much time in the city learning his craft. The point is JP is doing all that he's capable of to try to earn the respect of his teamates as well as the people of Buffalo...what else can he do?

325451[/snapback]

Agreed. I've always hated this "blue collar" thing that's always brought up. It's no wonder everyone in the country thinks of us being some frumpy backwater of Wal Mart wardrobers. Give the rest of the world a break and buy some decent looking clothes that don't look stuck in 1982! And try wearing something other than sweatpants or Zubaz and a cheap Bills hat when you go out to dinner or even the freakin' grocery store for cripessake. Did you see that Buffalo show on Travel Channel? They tried to portray the region in a good light, but every scene was filled with sweatpant wearing, mullet headed, overweight Bills cap wearing walruses! It was embarassing. I couldn't help thinking "this place looks like the epitome of uncool". Good if you like slumming it I suppose. A travesty. :blink:

indeed, players try to identify with the fans now. used to be, watch me on the field and you will love me. now, with the agent generated press releases, it is "i am like you, buy my jersey, help me pressure management to sign me for more."

the 'blue collar' card is overused in buffalo.

how many time are the sabres players, that they trade for, called hard nosed, etc, etc, etc. he fits the mold, he is one of us, he wears zubas, he drinks genny cream ale, etc.

let JP do his talking on the field. i hope he does, we will see. he has the cast to do so.

Agreed. I've always hated this "blue collar" thing that's always brought up. It's no wonder everyone in the country thinks of us being some frumpy backwater of Wal Mart wardrobers. Give the rest of the world a break and buy some decent looking clothes that don't look stuck in 1982! And try wearing something other than sweatpants or Zubaz and a cheap Bills hat when you go out to dinner or even the freakin' grocery store for cripessake. Did you see that Buffalo show on Travel  Channel? They tried to portray the region in a good light, but every scene was filled with sweatpant wearing, mullet headed, overweight Bills cap wearing walruses! It was embarassing. I couldn't help thinking "this place looks like the epitome of uncool". Good if you like slumming it I suppose. A travesty.  :blink:

325656[/snapback]

It never ceases to amaze me how cynical some of you can be.....JP is 24 years old. How many 24 year old millionaires do you know that would choose Buffalo to be their 'home' when they could easily choose anywhere else? How many QBs have we had in here since Jimbo that were truly excited about the opportunity to lead our team? How many QBs have spent 6 days a week in the offseason trying to offset his inexperience as much as possible before the season begins?

Good Lord, some of you will never be satisfied......if Jesus Christ came to town and said he wanted to be the Bills' QB, there are some of you who would openly campaign for Buddha!!

This may seem like a nitpick, but I honestly thought the same thing when reading the Buf. News.  Seemed like he went out of his way to say he's working out in Buffalo.  Maybe it was taken out of context, I dunno. 

I do know that the GW's dad never missing a day of work (how many times did we read that story in '01?) did nothing to help his coaching ability.

325414[/snapback]

I am absolutely positive that some one at One Bills Drive, visits Two Bills Drive daily, and tells TD & co what the "fans" are thinking...who gives a crap what JP said? Maybe he stressed the fact that he was in Buffalo all off season, because so many on TBD pissed themselves because Bledsoe didn't spend his every waking hour lifting weights in Buffalo, hanging out with the guys, and eating chicken wings...jeez, lets give this kid a break! Even if it is all PR, it says something about him that he is intelligent enough to know what to say...I heard the interview that this quote was from, and Losman was responding to a question about how the fans in Buffalo had received him, when they saw him in public. He said that they usually inundated him with team history, and compared him to "other qb's" from the Bills past. He was likely referring to Rob Johnson, because of their (perceived) similarities. He also went out of his way to praise Drew Bledsoe, but nobody would want to hear that...

It never ceases to amaze me how cynical some of you can be.....JP is 22 years old. How many 22 year old millionaires do you know that would choose Buffalo to be their 'home' when they could easily choose anywhere else? How many QBs have we had in here since Jimbo that were truly excited about the opportunity to lead our team? How many QBs have spent 6 days a week in the offseason trying to offset his inexperience as much as possible before the season begins?

Good Lord, some of you will never be satisfied......if Jesus Christ came to town and said he wanted to be the Bills' QB, there are some of you who would openly campaign for Buddha!!

326156[/snapback]

Relax Bro. :blink:

As I said in another post, we all have different ways of self preservation wrt the Bills. I am the first to say that optimism is better than pessimism. It makes sense. This does not mean that all can be flying high with optimism, right?

Choosing Buffalo? He was drafted by Buffalo. Buffalo chose him.

That said, I for one am impressed by the time and effort he seems to put forth. Forgive me if I dont jump up and down with glee and make up cute little nicknames every time he says something.

Time will tell if JP is what we want him to be.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Relax Bro.  :blink:

As I said in another post, we all have different ways of self preservation wrt the Bills. I am the first to say that optimism is better than pessimism. It makes sense.

Choosing Buffalo? He was drafted by Buffalo. Buffalo chose him.

That said, I for one am impressed by the time and effort he seems to put forth. Forgive me if I dont jump up and down with glee and make up cute little nicknames every time he says something.

Time will tell if JP is what we want him to be.

GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

326165[/snapback]

Bill, it doesn't matter what team you play for. I live in Atlanta and I can probably name 20 NFL and MLB players off the top of my head who live down here but don't play for the Falcons or Braves.

It just seems like there are some people on this board who simply cannot tolerate something positive without having to question it, criticize it, or refute it. I don't see how you can look at JP's attitude and work ethic as anything but a really great sign of his dedication to success. He can't give you a crystal ball to see in May what is in store for this team come September. All he can do right now is learn, practice, and prepare for the season.