JP's past...

Oh YEAH!  Bill's found a new crusade.  Batten down the hatches and lock up the children.    :P

Losman could admit to eating only broiled kitty cat and no one will care if the team is 12-4.

325410[/snapback]

Not true AD. We truly need the kid to play well!!! No crusade here. I merely like to see a player do it on the field before I lavish praise upon him, and thought that the quote was in poor taste.

Something told me not to comment on it but I did anyway, so in that sense, SDS was correct with his barb. :D

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

hey, defending johnson is a losing arguement, no crap.  but that drive was excellent.  go watch the film on that game and then type some more.  the rest of his career was bruttal - no kidding.  helen keller could make that analysis. 

but really, that game was great and if we had won, who knows how far we would have went.  remember the offensive line injuries?  that roster was pathetic and butler had given phillips a bunch of scubs to work with. 

but this post is about JP, not rob johnson.

325412[/snapback]

That game wasn't great. Leading a team to 16 points isn't great. One drive that ends in a FG late in the game isn't "great" (though I was impressed with his ability, to just once, overcome adversity). Great is probably the most overused term in our society.

That roster was far from pathetic and if Johnson or Flutie were just better than average that team would have been in the Super Bowl instead of losing the WC game on the road.

Not true AD. We truly need the kid to play well!!! No crusade here. I merely like to see a player do it on the field before I lavish praise upon him, and thought that the quote was in poor taste.

Something told me not to comment on it but I did anyway, so in that sense, SDS was correct with his barb.  :D

325416[/snapback]

Looks to me like your simply offering up your contrarian argument because it's the road you already started down when the also ridiculous "big cat" story got blown up around here.

And we wonder why the country is going to sh--.

That game wasn't great.  Leading a team to 16 points isn't great.  One drive that ends in a FG late in the game isn't "great" (though I was impressed with his ability, to just once, overcome adversity).  Great is probably the most overused term in our society.

That roster was far from pathetic and if Johnson or Flutie were just better than average that team would have been in the Super Bowl instead of losing the WC game on the road.

325419[/snapback]

The meaningless game before it was great (vs. Indy).

That was the problem with RJ. He would do superb things sometimes and make us forget that he couldn't play football very well.

i am not sure what terms are overused in society. i would have see polls on that. however, to say something "is probably the most overused term in our society" seems like an overused phase to me.

ah, the titans game was amazing, johnson ran for his life. fina was dinged up. the right side of the line looked like this: C – Jerry Ostroski; RG – Dusty Zeigler; RT – M. Spriggs. kearse was running wild. titans at home on their field. johnson managed a good game anyway you look at it.

Looks to me like your simply offering up your contrarian argument because it's the road you already started down when the also ridiculous "big cat" story got blown up around here.

And we wonder why the country is going to sh--.

325421[/snapback]

My point about the "Big Cat" story is that it WAS ridiculous, not something about which to praise the kid. :D:P:D

325416[/snapback]

there is a difference between not lavishing praise and taking a daily dump on him and anyone who dare carries an once of optimism in May.

Newsflash: the people who frequent this board, especially in May, tend to be supporters of the team. Go figure that gratuitous slams against our players aren't going over very well.

That game wasn't great.  Leading a team to 16 points isn't great.  One drive that ends in a FG late in the game isn't "great" (though I was impressed with his ability, to just once, overcome adversity).  Great is probably the most overused term in our society.

325419[/snapback]

Tenessee had a great defense that year and I do mean great. I believe they were undeafeted in Adelphia too. Dusty Ziegler was moved to LEFT TACKLE that game.

Considering his lack of playing time and all the mitagting factors surrounding that game - I think it was pretty impressive that we were in a position to win with 16 seconds left.

i would have to see some stats and numbers, that "the people who frequent this board, especially in May, tend to be supporters of the team." is there data on this?

the comment seems contrived somewhat. as fans we are to analyze such commentary and hash it out. these guys make millions for this type of hazing by us. look at poor giambi.

Johnson didn't play great in that game; but the hypocrisy is ridiculous from most fans. Frutie made a living that year playing like crap for 58 minutes before a final drive in the last minute. Vinaterri missed like 2 chip-shot game-winners against us that year before he and the Patriots were God which set up Magic Man's "heroic" overtime drive). Nobody cared about the first 58 minutes because "he's a winner". We also lost 2 home games to the Raiders & Giants - neither of which were playoff teams - which was one of the reasons for playing on the road in the 1st round.

The playoff game was pretty much a carbon copy of the rest of the season, only Tennessee was better than anybody we played in the reg. season that year, and the Special Teams F*****d up; plus the officiating at the end of the 1st half made the 1972 Olympic basketball refs in Munich look competent.

Darrin is correct in that both QB's stunk, but there is no reason to believe we win that game with the Midget; and if I'm not mistaken McNair threw for less than 100 yards in that game.

there is a difference between not lavishing praise and taking a daily dump on him and anyone who dare carries an once of optimism in May.

Newsflash:  the people who frequent this board, especially in May, tend to be supporters of the team.  Go figure that gratuitous slams against our players aren't going over very well.

325431[/snapback]

Point taken Scott. I am not one to argue with the boss, but I can recall reading literally thousands of posts attacking Bledsoe, and even his family.

It IS harder for some to be optimistic about our Bills than others.

Either way, thanks for your work in making this the best site on the web.

Gents,

As someone who grew up in Buffalo and now lives in California I know exactly what JP's trying to say. There are many bitter, angry people who live in Buffalo and want to use the tired old "I work harder than you California pansies" line. I hear it all the time when I go home on leave. There are people left in that city who have this attitude about anything not from Buffalo...that it's all bad. In a larger sense, it's that type of mentality that, IMO is what's killing the city. I'm sure many of you know the type...because you don't stay out drinking until 0400, but instead work hard to get ahead in life your some sort of weak being. I've never understood that logic.

I agree with JP, give the kid a break, he's not RJ, and I'm pretty sure he's going to show us that with his play on the field. I can't say I blame him for being tired of the comparison...shoot when did RJ ever spend as much time in the city learning his craft. The point is JP is doing all that he's capable of to try to earn the respect of his teamates as well as the people of Buffalo...what else can he do?

Gents,

As someone who grew up in Buffalo and now lives in California I know exactly what JP's trying to say. There are many bitter, angry people who live in Buffalo and want to use the tired old "I work harder than you California pansies" line. I hear it all the time when I go home on leave. There are people left in that city who have this attitude about anything not from Buffalo...that it's all bad. In a larger sense, it's that type of mentality that, IMO is what's killing the city. I'm sure many of you know the type...because you don't stay out drinking until 0400, but instead work hard to get ahead in life your some sort of weak being. I've never understood that logic.

I agree with JP, give the kid a break, he's not RJ, and I'm pretty sure he's going to show us that with his play on the field. I can't say I blame him for being tired of the comparison...shoot when did RJ ever spend as much time in the city learning his craft. The point is JP is doing all that he's capable of to try to earn the respect of his teamates as well as the people of Buffalo...what else can he do?

325451[/snapback]

Thanks for an interesting perspective.

JP is just SICK AND TIRED of being compared to RJ. 

So, he wanted to give us a glimpse into his past to make himself different from RJ. 

I think that comparisons are driving him crazy...  that's all.

325446[/snapback]

Thankyou. The man is merely responding (honestly , god forbid) to the questions he is constantly being hounded with.

Thankyou. The man is merely responding (honestly , god forbid) to the questions he is constantly being hounded with.

325461[/snapback]

Oh, don't worry. If he dodged the questions about the resemblence to RJ, or said something like "Yeah, I can see where you'd say that," he'd be grilled just as much. Everything he does (and doesn't) say is going to get both lauded and criticized for his whole career. It comes with the territory at QB. I personally appreciate that, so far, it sounds like it's JP that's talking, not the "handlers" who, I'm sure, prep him on what he "should" say.

Tenessee had a great defense that year and I do mean great.  I believe they were undeafeted in Adelphia too.  Dusty Ziegler was moved to LEFT TACKLE that game.

Considering his lack of playing time and all the mitagting factors surrounding that game - I think it was pretty impressive that we were in a position to win with 16 seconds left.

325435[/snapback]

We also had a great defense - which is why we were in a position to win with 16 seconds left.

I don't think everyone saw the entire quote in context from JP. And if you all did, I don't find anything wrong at all with what he's saying. From yesterday's Rochester D & C, he said he was getting tired of people comparing him negatively to Johnson. He didn't just come out of the blue and say his parents were blue collar workers.

Here's an excerpt from the article:

Most fans applauded the decision to get rid of Bledsoe and turn the keys over to the inexperienced Losman now. Being a starting quarterback is a dream come true for the 2004 first-round pick out of Tulane University. He is working hard to make sure it doesn't become a nightmare.

"The recognition and feedback I've received when I've been out and about in Buffalo has been amazing," he says. "I'm having fun with it, but I'm reminded that I haven't done anything yet and that this all can disappear if I don't produce this fall. That's why I've been spending so much time with coach (Sam) Wyche in the film room. I don't want to leave anything for chance."

About the only negative so far has been the negative comparisons to another quarterback from southern California who played for the Bills — Rob Johnson.

"At first, it didn't bother me much," says Losman, a native of Venice, Calif. "But lately it's become annoying and is said to me in a put-down way. I can assure you I'm not Rob Johnson. I come from a working-class environment. My dad poured concrete for a living and my mother worked two jobs. I just wish people would give that comparison a rest."