JP's past...

someone most likely posted this, but i think it was interesting:

JP stated that he was NOT rob johnson and that his dad did cement work and his mom worked 2 jobs. while i like his modest past and candor, is he trying to hard to be a blue collar/ buffalo type guy? just be yourself JP and play hard and win games. the fans will love you for who you are on the field - nothing else. these sentences - where he relates to fans - are strange. is sam W. writting these?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

For what it's worth, I had family who did cement work, too, and it was extremely difficult work. Especially because the boss wanted the guy awake while you held his feet still and poured the concrete around them.

But it paid well.

JP stated that he was NOT rob johnson and that his dad did cement work and his mom worked 2 jobs.  while i like his modest past and candor, is he trying to hard to be a blue collar/ buffalo type guy?  just be yourself JP and play hard and win games.  the fans will love you for who you are on the field - nothing else.  these sentences - where he relates to fans - are strange.  is sam W. writting these?

325363[/snapback]

I was not going to mention that quote due to the probability of being castigated for being a non-worshipper, but I too found it disturbing.

Rob Johnson had at least as much talent as JP, and he is bigger. Was RJ a good qb? NO. Has JP proven that he is even as good as RJ in a real game? NO.

I am proud and delighted to see a kid from working class parents succeed. That said, I wish that the kid would just shut up and play football.

He would be much better off, because dumb statements to the press can and will come back to haunt a player.

JP stated that he was NOT rob johnson and that his dad did cement work and his mom worked 2 jobs.  while i like his modest past and candor, is he trying to hard to be a blue collar/ buffalo type guy?  just be yourself JP and play hard and win games.  the fans will love you for who you are on the field - nothing else.  these sentences - where he relates to fans - are strange.  is sam W. writting these?

325363[/snapback]

if there's one thing that's crystal clear, it is that no matter what comes out of JP's mouth, some people are going to overanalyze it.

regardless, the guy is either incredibly savvy or has some very good advisors. buffalo IS a blue collar town; local fans want to root for people who are in some way like them. by mentioning his background and attempting to distance himself from someone the fans of buffalo loathed, JP is endearing himself to the community. people in buffalo are going to want this guy to succeed in a big way, and that will show in the support on gameday. it can only help him as he starts his career.

in summary, i don't think there's anything "strange" about those comments. they don't seem forced or contrived. i think JP is being himself.

Uh, he's from Venice. In Los Angeles, Venice is what you would call the 'hood. Not exactly sun and surf. You will see more low-riders and empty forty ouncers than surfboards in Venice.

Besides, I'm having trouble determining what he said that would be considered "bad" to say. I would guess that anyone who was being compared to RJ would want to try to squelch that.

I was not going to mention that quote due to the probability of being castigated for being a non-worshipper, but I too found it disturbing.

Rob Johnson had at least as much talent as JP, and he is bigger. Was RJ a good qb? NO. Has JP proven that he is even as good as RJ in a real game? NO.

I am proud and delighted to see a kid from working class parents succeed. That said, I wish that the kid would just shut up and play football.

He would be much better off, because dumb statements to the press can and will come back to haunt a player.

325368[/snapback]

JP's comments concerning RJ were in relation to the "california surfer dude" stereotype. JP didn't call out RJ's physical ability or skills as a QB; he's smart enough to be aware of recent history and realize that a california boy has to prove he belongs in a blue collar town.

i prefer a glib QB who doesn't hide from the media and tells it like he sees it. we can agree to disagree on that point.

is he trying to hard to be a blue collar/ buffalo type guy?

325363[/snapback]

He's trying hard not to be perceived as another RJ....as the lazy ass media and some casual Bills fans seem to want to paint him, since he's from southern California.

sport today - is all about saying the right thing. agents tell guys to say nice things so they can be paid and get endorsements. if the fans buy your jerseys, you get paid. but it's true - comments can come back and bite a player. i appreciate the kids background, but come on, what is next, "my grandmother brought dominic hasek to buffalo - as she knew the GM of the blackhawks and worked that deal out" ???

BTW, bill - Rob johnson did play that one great game in tennessee. without that smoke and mirrors play (wychex throw to dyson ) we win, and who knows what then. not saying johnson was good, but look at the pathetic supporting cast the guy had. he was run out of here on a rail. hard to repalce jim kelly (ask todd collins).

JP's comments concerning RJ were in relation to the "california surfer dude" stereotype.  JP didn't call out RJ's physical ability or skills as a QB; he's smart enough to be aware of recent history and realize that a california boy has to prove he belongs in a blue collar town.

i prefer a glib QB who doesn't hide from the media and tells it like he sees it.  we can agree to disagree on that point.

325376[/snapback]

Maybe you are correct. I hope so, but I saw nothing in what was posted to indicate that.

My mother and father were in the iron and steal business.

My Mother Ironed and my father stole.

My Grandfather was an old indian fighter. My grandmother was an old Indian.

Thank You I vill be here all da veek.

JP's comments concerning RJ were in relation to the "california surfer dude" stereotype.  JP didn't call out RJ's physical ability or skills as a QB; he's smart enough to be aware of recent history and realize that a california boy has to prove he belongs in a blue collar town.

i prefer a glib QB who doesn't hide from the media and tells it like he sees it.  we can agree to disagree on that point.

325376[/snapback]

Saying that Buffalo is his home doesn't hurt either. JP, Anderson, Parrish & Goldsberry are all saying the right things. Does that guarantee them success? Nope, but it sure is a good starting point. This team is going to outwork their opponents from the coaching staff down to the players.

Count me as one who wears rose colored glasses. I really like what these guys are about.

Maybe you are correct. I hope so, but I saw nothing in what was posted to indicate that.

325384[/snapback]

This might be the time for all of us to actually find out what he was asked and what he actually said. I'm having trouble finding it on the board.

sport today - is all about saying the right thing.  agents tell guys to say nice things so they can be paid and get endorsements.  if the fans buy your jerseys, you get paid.  but it's true - comments can come back and bite a player.  i appreciate the kids background, but come on, what is next, "my grandmother brought dominic hasek to buffalo - as she knew the GM of the blackhawks and worked that deal out" ???

BTW, bill - Rob johnson did play that one great game in tennessee.  without that smoke and mirrors play (wychex throw to dyson ) we win,  and who knows what then.  not saying johnson was good, but look at the pathetic supporting cast the guy had.  he was run out of here on a rail.  hard to repalce jim kelly (ask todd collins).

325383[/snapback]

10 for 22 / 131 yards / sacked and lost fumble in endzone which resulted in 7 TN points.

mcbride -

Johnson hit Price for like a 30 yard TD. Kearse was unblockable and got to Johnson for a sack - but we had NO RIGHT TACKLE that game (hicks injured?) Johnson then led the team on a game-winning march to the Tennessee 23, thanks to a 14-yard pass to Price, a 12-yard run by Jonathan Linton and a 9-yard pass to Price. On the play before the final completion to Price, Johnson lost his shoe and was unable to replace it because the clock was ticking down but still executed the crucial play shoeless.

mcbride -

Johnson hit Price for like a 30 yard TD.  Kearse was unblockable and got to Johnson for a sack - but we had NO RIGHT TACKLE that game (hicks injured?) Johnson then led the team on a game-winning march to the Tennessee 23, thanks to a 14-yard pass to Price, a 12-yard run by Jonathan Linton and a 9-yard pass to Price. On the play before the final completion to Price, Johnson lost his shoe and was unable to replace it because the clock was ticking down but still executed the crucial play shoeless.

325404[/snapback]

Which explains why he's been so darn successful since leaving here. If he had ANYTHING, he'd still be on an NFL roster.

Had Johnson been able to pull his head out of his ass before the last drive...

That said, I wish that the kid would just shut up and play football.

325368[/snapback]

Oh YEAH! Bill's found a new crusade. Batten down the hatches and lock up the children. :D

Losman could admit to eating only broiled kitty cat and no one will care if the team is 12-4.

About the only negative so far have been the comparisons to another Southern California quarterback who played for the Bills —Rob Johnson.

"At first, it didn't bother me much," says Losman, a native of Venice, Calif. "But lately it's become annoying and is said to me in a put-down way. I can assure you I'm not Rob Johnson. I come from a working-class environment. My dad poured concrete for a living and my mother worked two jobs. I just wish people would give that comparison a rest."

hey, defending johnson is a losing arguement, no crap. but that drive was excellent. go watch the film on that game and then type some more. the rest of his career was bruttal - no kidding. helen keller could make that analysis.

but really, that game was great and if we had won, who knows how far we would have went. remember the offensive line injuries? that roster was pathetic and butler had given phillips a bunch of scubs to work with.

but this post is about JP, not rob johnson.

325363[/snapback]

This may seem like a nitpick, but I honestly thought the same thing when reading the Buf. News. Seemed like he went out of his way to say he's working out in Buffalo. Maybe it was taken out of context, I dunno.

I do know that the GW's dad never missing a day of work (how many times did we read that story in '01?) did nothing to help his coaching ability.