Last year's awesome season actually hurt us this year

Sharky7337

Lat year Josh's and the offensive breakout season was amazing!

The problem is normally the formula for rookie quarterbacks is get them a good supporting cast, running game, and don't ask them to do everything.

After last year the coaches and front office decided to take the training wheels away for lack of a better term. 

The problem is Josh is not ready to be that player yet.

In most of the high pressure situations he has pressed and starts making mistakes.

The front office and coaching staff really need to get back to basics and make running in at least a supporting role carry once in a while a priority.

Look at the top teams and QBs and all or most have solid running games:

green bay / Rodgers have jones

Baltimore has last decades all world team ( because of injury but normally have Edward's and dobbins)

Titans have Henry 

Dallas has zeke and pollard 

Herbert has  ekeler

Brady has fornette

Drew Brees had Kamara/ williams/ Staley bush etc

Manning had Edgerrin James

Truth is most hall of fame QBs had HOF running backs - even now most successful teams still do.

Hopefully we can turn this around, but I hope for next season we address this and get a steadying force in the run game ( o line and running back) so josh can be the best version of himself and our team as well.

I think we put too much on josh too soon.

We play in an open air stadium in a cold, wet, snowy, rainy place. We need to be built to be successful in our home stadium at the very least.

Running is usually lower risk and higher success in bad weather.

Even for Brady early on they went for Corey Dillon.

Edited by Sharky7337
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

People on this thread with the Josh Allen is mentally weak take, I feel like they just think that’s like the only answer when things go bad… put it on the QB. The kid is an absolute warrior, giving 1000 percent every down, weak people don’t do that. He is being consistently let down by coaches who can not scheme to fit there personell or hide their weaknesses. It’s more likely that Bill Belicheck doesn’t act like a complete dick in any press conference the rest of his career, than it is that McDermott or Daboll will ever make an adjustment based on what’s actually happening on the field. It should absolutely blow people’s minds how far Allen has carried these losers, weak my ass

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

People on this thread with the Josh Allen is mentally weak take, I feel like they just think that’s like the only answer when things go bad… put it on the QB. The kid is an absolute warrior, giving 1000 percent every down, weak people don’t do that. He is being consistently let down by coaches who can not scheme to fit there personell or hide their weaknesses. It’s more likely that Bill Belicheck doesn’t act like a complete dick in any press conference the rest of his career, than it is that McDermott or Daboll will ever make an adjustment based on what’s actually happening on the field. It should absolutely blow people’s minds how far Allen has carried these losers, weak my ass

No one said he was mentally weak.

22 minutes ago, I am the egg man said:

Last season looking like an oddity. 

Winning at most 10 games and not making playoffs this year seemed preposterous a few weeks ago.....

When analyzing the quality of the wins, it was easy to see many people question play calling, and the inconsistent play. It’s no surprise other teams have passed us by. We fail to adjust and even the chiefs ,  pats, titans all are in control of their chances to get to the SB.  Meanwhile the bills play regresses and no one is fearing facing them in the near future! 

57 minutes ago, Sharky7337 said:

The problem is normally the formula for rookie quarterbacks is get them a good supporting cast, running game, and don't ask them to do everything.

After last year the coaches and front office decided to take the training wheels away for lack of a better term. 

In most of the high pressure situations he has pressed and starts making mistakes.

The front office and coaching staff really need to get back to basics and make running in at least a supporting role carry once in a while a priority.

Baltimore has last decades all world team ( because of injury but normally have Edward's and dobbins)

Titans have Henry 

Herbert has  ekeler

Brady has fornette

Truth is most hall of fame QBs had HOF running backs - even now most successful teams still do.

Hopefully we can turn this around, but I hope for next season we address this and get a steadying force in the run game ( o line and running back) so josh can be the best version of himself and our team as well.

We play in an open air stadium in a cold, wet, snowy, rainy place. We need to be built to be successful in our home stadium at the very least.

So true. Without a good OL and good RB, Josh will find so many challenges regardless of his amazing talent. And if Buffalo and their community leaders insist on an open stadium,  these truths will become even more important. Build this kid an epic OL and watch him thrive.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Sharky7337 said:

Titans have Henry 

Herbert has  ekeler

Brady has fornette

That wasn't the problem. Not even close. Excluding Allen, our RBs went 10 carries for 73 yards. When we have run problems it's almost always the OL that is responsible for most of it. With Brown and Feliciano out the OL was really hurting, though they weren't as awful as they were against the Jags.

A few of many of the real causes were:

1) Not good enough through the middle on D without Lotulelei and Edmunds

2) Not good enough on OL without Spencer Brown.

3) Allen didn't play well enough, including losing his cool near the end

4) Far too many penalties

5) McKenzie's fumble

6) Some drops

7) We have better personnel than Indy, particularly when healthy, but they match up with us extremely well

08) There's been a revolution on defense in handling high-flying passing attacks using two-high. Teams are learning how to make it really hard for guys like Mahomes and Allen. We need to adapt. It won't be easy.

I mean, it wouldn't have hurt to be better at running the ball. But that wasn't a top ten problem today.

I like what Tompsett said on Cover1 today. "They built for the past on both sides of the ball." They built a gap run OL in a league that's suddenly going zone rush. And they built a small but athletic DL in a league that is suddenly - mostly due to the two-high revolution is rewarding teams with physical OLs because there are so many small but athletic DL groups.

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.