4th and short, on the 40 y. line...

For some reason I think that this year in short yardage situations when we'll be in our opponents end of the field, say at the 35-40-45 we are going to go for it more often than in the past. In fact I wouldnt be surprised to see the Bills leading the league in 4 and short attempts in '05...

Considering the following:

- Rian Lindell

- Buffalo's windy conditions

- You lose yardage every time you miss a FG

- Mularky isnt afraid to gamble

- JPL's scrambling abilities, opening up run option plays

- WM in the back field

- Have I mentionned Rian Lindell ??

We'll see....

Marc in Mtl

Clearly it depends most on the game situation, the weather conditions and various other factors fortunately before you even get to the question of whether you have more faith in JP (I have a lot more hope than faith right now) or faith in Lindell (the shank on a very makeable kick against Pitt has removed all faith in him and even putting a hurting on my hope for him and thus for us.

In pre-season, I'm much more interested in testing my faith in JP so virtually evey situation like this I try to move the ball on the ground and see what he does.

As far as Lindell goes this is a job or MM/April as sports psychologists and my guess is they have to show unflagging support for Lindell like they were George Bush searching mindlessly for WMD.

Even if it is against all logic that what motivates us is true, we have to stick to our expressions of faith in Lindell and hope it works out for the best.

From the 40+ I punt most of the time. From the 41 yard line you're asking your FG to kick a 58 yarder. I don't think the Raiders even ask Janikownski to make a lot of those. From the 33 to the 40, I probably would ask my QB to make the first down of a 4th and short. From the 33 in I attempt a FG most of the time.

Rheem, Pochman, Vanderjagt, Gramatica or someone other than Lindell will be our kicker. We can't afford a mediocre kicker with a high cap #. No way do we have Lindell & a $1.3 million cap hit he causes on our 2005 roster.

For some reason I think that this year in short yardage situations when we'll be in our opponents end of the field, say at the 35-40-45 we are going to go for it more often than in the past. In fact I wouldnt be surprised to see the Bills leading the league in 4 and short attempts in '05...

Considering the following:

- Rian Lindell

- Buffalo's windy conditions

- You lose yardage every time you miss a FG

- Mularky isnt afraid to gamble

- JPL's scrambling abilities, opening up run option plays 

- WM in the back field

- Have I mentionned Rian Lindell ??

We'll see....

Marc in Mtl

324888[/snapback]

Don't you mean Moorman? No way in hell does Lindell make a 57 yard FG. Are you kidding? :D

I hope we don't have to even have such discussions like this in the future and we have a reliable kicker.....

Why not bring O'Brien in for a trial.

I know he blew a couple with the Jets last year. However, up till then he was a pretty good PK.

:D

324892[/snapback]

Brien has the same problems that Lindell has. He looks good on paper, has good %, but is painful to watch-missing key kicks at the wrong time. what people who see him play often enough have always known, was exposed in the playoffs to the general public. He's iffy any time an important kick is needed. Always has been, always will. No matter how bad Lindell is, Brien is even worse.