Time to adjust our expectations

damj

6 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Tonight Show Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Really?  You don't see an existential problem with this team?  I guess if they get smoked by the Jets next week you'll assure us that it's not really a problem?  I mean if you dont want to see fans complaining after a loss like yesterday maybe a fan forum isn't for you?

• Shocked 1

47 minutes ago, damj said:

Losing to the Jags shows that we can lose to anyone. It's time to adjust our expectations.

We're 3 games out of the lead for first in conference.

1/2 game ahead of NE for the division.

Within 1 game of 7 teams in the mix for 3 play-off spots.

We'll probably drop more games we should win. We need to focus on winning the division and making the play-offs and hope that  figure something out by the play-offs.

Or we let the team know they have failed and are failing on the field with our voices. Billed to be a contender. You rise to those expectations or you should hear it. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, dorquemada said:

So let's just say that the Bills get their act together and squeak out a win against a bottom feeding team.  Will you feel better about them then? 

I would feel pretty good with the Bills at 6-3. They have issues and we all know what they are. Unfortunately they won't be fixed until the offseason. It is what it is.

2 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

So let's just say that the Bills get their act together and squeak out a win against a bottom feeding team.  Will you feel better about them then? 

Not really, but if they play well above the Jets level it shows life and things will probably be ok. If they flame out against the Jets and win by 3, yeah it won't look good.

11 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Really?  You don't see an existential problem with this team?  I guess if they get smoked by the Jets next week you'll assure us that it's not really a problem?  I mean if you dont want to see fans complaining after a loss like yesterday maybe a fan forum isn't for you?

Sure sure lol.. 

Youre like a toddler having a temper tantrum with Clappy Mcidiot comments and benching Allen. You’re not Stevan A Smith bruh no need to try and act like him. 

Well if there is anything that encourages me it’s the Bills D. There are some things that I don’t like but at the end of the day it’s very good. And I think on that side of the ball the coaches and players can suck it up when the going gets tough later in the year. That alone will make the Bills a tough team to beat in the playoffs (and yes I think we will see them).

9 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Sure sure lol.. 

Youre like a toddler having a temper tantrum with Clappy Mcidiot comments and benching Allen. You’re not Stevan A Smith bruh no need to try and act like him. 

I suggested benching Allen to keep his head attached to his shoulders, not as punishment.  Until the Bills field at least a C- OL, we're risking the franchise to...prove a point?

But go on defending the status quo, it's definitely working well

• Haha (+1) 1

Nah.

Any team that played with the arrogance the Bills showed yesterday can lose to anyone. 

If the Bills simply go back to the way they prepared and worked last year they will start trashing teams again. McDermott has some work to do to get these players in the right mindset. 

Maybe he needs to get himself in the right mindset first tho. His coaching arrogance seems to be rubbing off on the players.

There is a difference between confidence and arrogance and the Bills seem to have gone too far on the other side.

1 hour ago, Southern_Bills said:

It's a horrible loss I agree but I do think the overreaction on the board is a bit much. I'd wait and see how the team responds against the Jets before I started on my mock drafts. That's all I'm saying. 

I agree. They played a bad game on D against Tennessee; offense almost pulled out the win. We took a gamble and lost. Ok, it was one game.

But ... then to sit with that over the bye week and come out flat the first half against Miami, then turned it on in the second half and won going away.

Perhaps they've just gotten complacent and think they can just roll out and win the game. Miami should have been a wake up call.

We'll see where they are next week. If they come out flat again, then we really need to worry.

The Bills are an incredibly arrogant and undisciplined football team. The penalties yesterday were terrible. The officiating was bad but the calls on the Bills were pretty legit.  The Bills believed all the hype. That hype was built on a win against a mediocre Chiefs and bunch of wins against terrible football teams. They played two good teams and lost to both of them. 

Maybe the Bills are not that good. I am not sure this Bills coaching staff has what it takes to win a Superbowl.

1 hour ago, Greg S said:

I would feel pretty good with the Bills at 6-3. They have issues and we all know what they are. Unfortunately they won't be fixed until the offseason. It is what it is.

Im not sold on our issues are unfixable this season...i think our issues have alot to do with our blocking scheme and our playcalling by daboll......those things can be fixed as soon as next week if the coaching can admit to what their issues are

5 minutes ago, Billever76 said:

Im not sold on our issues are unfixable this season...i think our issues have alot to do with our blocking scheme and our playcalling by daboll......those things can be fixed as soon as next week if the coaching can admit to what their issues are

I hope you are right but I just don't have confidence in this group. No matter what happens this season improving the OL has to be priority #1 for Beane this offseason.

Edited by Greg S
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Eastport bills said:

Now is the time to see what kind of coach we have. These next 3 games,all winnable, demand adjustments and a display of discipline.  If this does not happen we should adjust expectations to the downside. 

Yes, and we see how the Offense responds. Our D got punched in the mouth against Tennessee, but otherwise they have given us a chance to win every week. It's the offense that is falling short

This isn't an injury excuse (because ALL TEAMS have injuries) but it's an injury analysis.  The worst two games the Bills have played this year have been the two games after the bye.  They went into Tennessee on a Monday night and played the Titans to a standstill and absolutely had a great shot to win the game.  Last week against Miami they looked awful and looked worse against a bad Jacksonville team.  Defense played well in both games.  Who would have guessed that Spencer Brown and Dawson Knox are absolute essentials if the team is going to go anywhere this year?  I've been very impressed with Brown.  I think he has the potential to be an All-Pro in a year or two.  It allows Williams to slide inside and give us adequate guard play.  Knox gives us better blocking and a valuable outlet for Allen.  If the offense looks as bad as it's been when the two of them get back, we're toast but I think we'll be back to where we were offensively before the bye.  Not perfect but capable of complimenting a good defense.  

Also, I think the Board it too hard on Beane for offseason moves re the offensive line.  He drafted OT #3 (who looks to be at a minimum a long-term starter), OT #5 and OG #6.  The key was Ford playing like a #2 pick and taking a starting job.  That, of course, has been an absolute disaster.  Like everyone else, I want to go to the time machine to stop the Wyatt Teller trade.  He is exactly what this OL needs.  Got to believe guard will be priority at draft time.

3 hours ago, dorquemada said:

You're right of course.  My expectation at this point is that they'll drop both Pats games and if they're lucky, split with the Jets. 

Like I said yesterday, we might back into the playoffs like we did when we broke the drought but this team isn't built for playoff football.  Hell, they're not built to beat the worst teams in the league.

I was pissed enough about the game itself but seeing the Jags player comments about the Bills not seeming to have any heart or care if they won or lost just chapped my azz.  That's 'culture' and maybe clappy mcidiot should focus on winning games and not whatever smooth brained notion of 'culture' he's been pushing.  They are soft, and lack discipline.  The O-Line doesn't seem to care if Allen gets killed or not. What's the story there?  Did he piss them off somehow, or are they really a JV group of players?  I'm sick and tired of seeing Allen get wrecked and a bunch of O-Lineman standing around with pristine jerseys and no DL around them. 

You said it all in " the oline doesn't seem to care if Josh gets killed". They disgraced this organization and fanbase yesterday by simply giving no effort and quitting.  You can't tolerate that.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Any team that played with the arrogance the Bills showed yesterday can lose to anyone. 

New Bills catchphrase alert

"On any given Sunday, the Bills can, nay WILL, lose to any team, regardless of record, discretion, or valor"

Before the season I went on record and picked 12-5 and losing in the divisional round, when of course many others were throwing around outlandish 16-1 and 15-2 type of predictions and cruising to the SB.

As of now we are 5-3 and are trending more towards 10 or 11 wins as the ceiling so my prediction seems a bit optimistic in hindsight.

Either way it's clear this team has glaring flaws that will prevent this team from going very far this year, and looking ahead at the remaining schedule it's not out of the realm of possibility this team misses the playoffs altogether because more losses are coming even if this team gets their heads out of their behind and understands you need to bring it for four quarters every game.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.