Panthers trade for Stephon Gilmore

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

So who gets fired for breaking the Gilmore released news?

Doesn't even make sense. Everything happened exactly the way it was supposed to.

1 hour ago, msw2112 said:

Gilmore is the thin version of Dareus.

In what way?  Is Dareus a multiple Defensive Player of the Year? Is he considered in the very top echelon of those in his position? Other than they used to play for the Bills, I don't see a lot of similarities here.

2 hours ago, Mr. WEO said:

Since when did everyone become so frightened of facing Gilmore?

Who said anything about being frightened?  I am just not interested in seeing people directly in our path to the SB getting better, or someone we might face in the SB get better.  There is not a roster in the NFL that Gilmore doesn't make better.  Does not mean it makes them invincible or people need to panic, but its clearly in our best interest that people in our path did not get better.  I don't think anyone believes the Panthers are true SB contenders right now.  Doesn't mean its impossible, but I would rather see him go there rather than one of the other top teams in the league.  

Given what he was traded for after making several Pro Bowls, being DPOTY and winning SB's (which he didn't do in Buffalo), it kind of kills the narrative that the Bills should have franchised him and then looked to trade him.  I doubt they'd have gotten even a 6th rounder and teams would have just waited it out.

39 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

First time I have ever heard of a player being traded after being released. I guess the ink wasn't dry yet on the paper work?

He was released, but the cut doesn't process until 4PM.  The Pats* said, basically, "he's gone, but we're still looking to trade him if someone really wants him". The trade was done before the papers were processed.  

I'd like to know what the Panthers have to pay him now. But I have to assume they have the cap space. And giving up a 6th (in 2023?) is a no brainer. The Panthers will be knocking on a playoff door this year. This is a good move for them. The Pats* got hosed, but Gilmore more or less assured that. They got something instead of nothing.

Life's strange sometimes.

Edited by The Dean
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

4 hours ago, The Dean said:

He was released, but the cut doesn't process until 4PM.  The Pats* said, basically, "he's gone, but we're still looking to trade him if someone really wants him". The trade was done before the papers were processed.  

I'd like to know what the Panthers have to pay him now. But I have to assume they have the cap space. And giving up a 6th (in 2023?) is a no brainer. The Panthers will be knocking on a playoff door this year. This is a good move for them. The Pats* got hosed, but Gilmore more or less assured that. They got something instead of nothing.

Life's strange sometimes.

Dean his cap figure this year was 10 million or so, but I don’t know how they count all that.  I think his base was 1.5, roster bonuse about 4.5 and then so on.

Given that we are four games in it has to be less than 10 (maybe 8?) for the rest of the year.  I don’t know how much the Patriots eat.

Yes, a lot of I don’t know here, but what I do know is that it’s a great deal for the panthers that really doesn’t cost them that much for a former defensive mvp who is in the last year of his deal.

Carolina will be paying a whole lot for a guy who can still play but not play as well as he used to.  They're falling into the trap of being all-in on a particular year, instead of building steadily.  Carolina is aiming for the playoffs, but their goal should be to win the Super Bowl, and they're a long way from being a contender.

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

Carolina will be paying a whole lot for a guy who can still play but not play as well as he used to.  They're falling into the trap of being all-in on a particular year, instead of building steadily.  Carolina is aiming for the playoffs, but their goal should be to win the Super Bowl, and they're a long way from being a contender.

just mentioned it on GMFB…6 million.

We paid that for a CB last year who was decidedly not in Gilmore’s league.   And again, this is the last year of his deal.

Respectfully, this is a complete steal by the panthers, no matter how it works out.

10 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Who said anything about being frightened?  I am just not interested in seeing people directly in our path to the SB getting better, or someone we might face in the SB get better.  There is not a roster in the NFL that Gilmore doesn't make better.  Does not mean it makes them invincible or people need to panic, but its clearly in our best interest that people in our path did not get better.  I don't think anyone believes the Panthers are true SB contenders right now.  Doesn't mean its impossible, but I would rather see him go there rather than one of the other top teams in the league.  

Maybe. I would even say that there is a strong possibility that the bolded is true. Then again, maybe not LOL. A 6th Round Pick???😮

That said, if he was the superstar that he was portrayed as yesterday, 31 GMs would have been clamoring around, even tripping over themselves trying to trade a first round pick for him and then sign him to a very costly long term deal, most of it in guaranteed bonus money. 

I guess not!!!😁 

Don't worry, despite your HUGE mistake wrt your take on the situation, your value as a poster has NOT decreased even one iota, at least not to me.

You are AOK in my opinion! 👍👍👍👍👍

Edited by Bill from NYC

First time I have ever heard of a player being traded after being released. I guess the ink wasn't dry yet on the paper work?

Then you haven’t been a fan of the NFL long. Happens all the time. Teams leak gonna release x player. 5 hour later Team trades x player (as nothing is official until 4pm that day) 

2 hours ago, Utah John said:

7M this year to be exact. They have both Henderson and Gilmore now for a combined 8M cap hi in 2021 or something like that. That isn’t bad at all. 

however have traded away a lot of picks 

Edited by MAJBobby
  • Like (+1) 3

It happens several times a year - usually in training camp.  A team will announce they are cutting a player and then someone decides we want that guy and are not getting him another way and offer up a late round pick and they make a trade.  They may have been talking, but not getting a commitment and this gives a deadline and commitment to force the deal.

The transaction does not occur until 4pm - so they can put him on the cut list and pull him off several times right up until the official times.  Sometimes they have pulled guys after announcing a cut and put them back on the active roster while they work on deals - it might be days or even a week.

The media guys report out the upcoming transaction- ie. The looming cut as that is what is the news and then the GM gives a final push to either sign/trade for the guy or wait and see.  It also still gives the team a last ditch chance to control the situation. 

8 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

i am glad that Gilmore finally stood up to Patriots negotiation strategies. They better get used to it. The times of players taking less because of Tom Brady is over. 

I am not a fan of Brady. Not at all but wasn't he taking less money so the Pats could bring in more players?

40 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

i am glad that Gilmore finally stood up to Patriots negotiation strategies. They better get used to it. The times of players taking less because of Tom Brady is over. 

I see it as a lot of players thinking they were great because they had opportunities to win SBs because of Brady. Many dbs, rbs, wide outs had a career because of Brady. 

11 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

It wouldn't matter where he went as far as the Bills future success is concerned.  It really doesn't.

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

I am not a fan of Brady. Not at all but wasn't he taking less money so the Pats could bring in more players?

Yes he and the Patriots were circumventing the cap.  While he was taking Below Market Value in pay checks Kraft was funding his TB12 business.

• Disagree 1

32 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yes he and the Patriots were circumventing the cap.  While he was taking Below Market Value in pay checks Kraft was funding his TB12 business.

That's a bit time lie and there is definitely no proof of any of that.

Edited by Ghost_002!
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.