Congress and steroid use in sports

Forgive me if this is a topic that has already been discussed, but can someone please help me understand why there are congressional hearings dealing with steroid use in the NFL and baseball. Does this really fall under the juristiction of Congress? Shouldn't this be self-regulated by the leagues themselves? Aren't there more important issues for Congress to spend there time on, such as social security, rising health care costs and the possible future bankruptcy of medicare, rising energy prices, the national debt, etc? Or am I just missing something.

Forgive me if this is a topic that has already been discussed, but can someone please help me understand why there are congressional hearings dealing with steroid use in the NFL and baseball. Does this really fall under the juristiction of Congress? Shouldn't this be self-regulated by the leagues themselves? Aren't there more important issues for Congress to spend there time on, such as social security, rising health care costs and the possible future bankruptcy of medicare, rising energy prices, the national debt, etc? Or am I just missing something.

322812[/snapback]

Free campaign advertising... :angry:

I agree with both of you. I have to hope they are losing credibility over this. They are proabably spending time on this diversion to make an excuse to avoid the real issues, where tough decisons have to be made and a future opponent running for his seat can use those decisions against him.

They have a right to Regulate baseball, with the anti-trust exemtption and all...but the NFL and NBA? Its going overboard. The NBA as we know it would not exist if they were actually testing and punishing for drug use. Now THAT would be interesting...

They have a right to Regulate baseball, with the anti-trust exemtption and all...but the NFL and NBA?  Its going overboard.  The NBA as we know it would not exist if they were actually testing and punishing for drug use.  Now THAT would be interesting...

322899[/snapback]

I'll believe they can keep drugs out of multi-billion dollar professional sports as soon as they can keep them out of public school playgrounds.

I'll believe they can keep drugs out of multi-billion dollar professional sports as soon as they can keep them out of public school playgrounds.

322900[/snapback]

Public school playgrounds are "drug free zones".... Can't you read the signs?

I would think they have something else better to do.

322858[/snapback]

Well, it seems they do (what a joke):

"Looking up at dozens of empty black leather chairs and a lone lawmaker, former Steeler Steve Courson testified to Congress about his use of steroids and how that might have contributed to his heart disease."

and:

"In a hearing room where all but one congressman left because of a floor vote, he said steroid use in the NFL began in the 1960s and was prevalent in his day."

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05117/495484.stm