More on Shelton and Henry trade

VABills

Sounds like it never got close. But it also sounds like Shelton has stayed in shape this offseason and is willing to go back to the Cards and mend fences. Sounds like a stand-up guy.

Also, sounded Buffalo lowered it to either of Arizona's 3rd rounder and as all the rest of the teams said, Henry wasn't worth that.

After months of discussion, the Cardinals never came close to trading for Buffalo running back Travis Henry.

Coach Dennis Green told ESPN on Sunday that the Bills told the Cardinals last week that they had no interest in trading for offensive left tackle L.J. Shelton.

The Bills were willing to take a third-round draft choice, but the Cardinals didn't want to part with one of their two picks in that round.

"We weren't presented with very much, to be honest with you," Buffalo General Manager Tom Donahoe told Bills beat reporters. "We have to hear something that makes sense, other than somebody offering a player we don't want or somebody offering a late-round pick, which we're not going to do."

Shelton remains in limbo, although he said he didn't expect the deal to be made.

"If it was going to happen, it probably wouldn't have come down to the last day," he said.

Shelton has been working out at Make Plays, a Phoenix training center. He said he weighs 336, one pound above his normal playing weight.

He planned to talk to coaches to see if they wanted him to report to minicamp later this week. Shelton said he's prepared to return to the team.

"It's still a business," he said.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...ardsnb0425.html

Man, I guess Shelton was really a bad player. I don't know much about him, but for TD to have absolutely no interest in a LT with starting experience signed to a cap friendly deal, whose cousin is already on the team and is a team leader and hard worker, man Shelton must have rubbed someone the wrong way.

Man, I guess Shelton was really a bad player.  I don't know much about him, but for TD to have absolutely no interest in a LT with starting experience signed to a cap friendly deal, whose cousin is already on the team and is a team leader and hard worker, man Shelton must have rubbed someone the wrong way.

322809[/snapback]

From the reports it sounded like TD wanted him, but the coaches on the Bills convinced him not to. Not sure what they saw. As I have said I watched him some last year at RT and he was pretty damn good. Never saw him at LT, but they say that is his natural position.

But I am not a coach so they must have seen or known something that my amateur eye didn't see.

But from this report it sounds like all indications are he is a pretty good person. I know doesn't make him a good football player, but interesting to see the contrast between he and Henry. Both basically backups, who were starters for several years and both considered to be pretty good when they were.

But from this report it sounds like all indications are he is a pretty good person.  I know doesn't make him a good football player, but interesting to see the contrast between he and Henry. 

322816[/snapback]

No offense, but Shelton's about two inches away from being cut, and knows it:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cardinals | Shelton Absent from Start of OTA - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:27:54 -0700

Mike Jurecki, of XTRA Sports 910 in Arizona, reports Arizona Cardinals OT L.J. Shelton was a no-show for the team's on-field training session Monday, April 25.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Now it looks like Shelton's crawling back to Denny on his belly and asking for forgiveness.

TH on the other hand still has nothing to lose (yet) by moaning and groaning, because he knows TD's not going to cut him.

No offense, but Shelton's about two inches away from being cut, and knows it:

Cardinals | Shelton Absent from Start of OTA - from www.KFFL.com

Mon, 25 Apr 2005 14:27:54 -0700

Mike Jurecki, of XTRA Sports 910 in Arizona, reports Arizona Cardinals OT L.J. Shelton was a no-show for the team's on-field training session Monday, April 25.

Now it looks like Shelton's crawling back to Denny on his belly and asking for forgiveness.

TH on the other hand still has nothing to lose (yet) by moaning and groaning, because he knows TD's not going to cut him.

322853[/snapback]

Actually that was proven to be an incorrect report, and the Cards came out the day after and said they excused Shelton from the practice. Get your facts straight.

You say crawling back, I see team player.

322870[/snapback]

...................................................................................... :angry:

BTW, I found the following story, so even though you're technically correct about it being an approved absense , it doesn't sound too promising for ol' LJ:

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...rdsnb04260.html

Boldin misses voluntary workout

Kent Somers

The Arizona Republic

Apr. 26, 2005

"Offensive tackle L.J. Shelton was excused from the workouts. The team is trying to trade him."

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showth...ghlight=Shelton

...................................................................................... :angry:

BTW, where did you get your info on the inaccuracy of the KFFL report?  I'd like to know how to get more of my facts straight.  Linky?

322873[/snapback]

From the Arizona Republic. So Shelton didn't skip, he was given permission. Big difference in reporting there.

"Offensive tackle L.J. Shelton was excused from the workouts. The team is trying to trade him. Wide receiver Bryant Johnson missed practice because he is attending classes at Penn State."

From the Arizona Republic. So Shelton didn't skip, he was given permission. Big difference in reporting there.

"Offensive tackle L.J. Shelton was excused from the workouts. The team is trying to trade him. Wide receiver Bryant Johnson missed practice because he is attending classes at Penn State."

322882[/snapback]

Thanks...found it myself.

Here's another linky worth looking at:

http://www.arizonasportsfans.com/vb/showth...ghlight=Shelton

From the reports it sounded like TD wanted him, but the coaches on the Bills convinced him not to.  Not sure what they saw.  As I have said I watched him some last year at RT and he was pretty damn good.  Never saw him at LT, but they say that is his natural position. 

But I am not a coach so they must have seen or known something that my amateur eye didn't see. 

But from this report it sounds like all indications are he is a pretty good person.  I know doesn't make him a good football player, but interesting to see the contrast between he and Henry.  Both basically backups, who were starters for several years and both considered to be pretty good when they were.

322816[/snapback]

Yeah, my boss says everyone on the Cardinal's board loves Shelton. My boss also talked about how Shelton admitted to being thrown off by having to play at RT, so he just run blocked on every play.

Cardinals | Shelton Excused From Minicamp - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:22:27 -0700

The Associated Press' Bob Baum reports Arizona Cardinals OL L.J. Shelton was excused from the team's minicamp which started Friday, April 29. With a potential trade of Shelton to the Buffalo Bills apparently dead, Arizona could release Shelton soon.

:lol::lol:;):P

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...-noshow-ON.html

"The only other player missing on Friday was offensive tackle L.J. Shelton, and he had Green's permission to be absent.

The Cardinals have made it clear that Shelton, who started at right tackle most of last season, does not fit in their plans. With a potential trade to Buffalo for running back Travis Henry apparently dead, Arizona could release Shelton soon.

If they wait until June 1 to release him, it would reduce the salary cap implications for the team."

Cardinals | Shelton Excused From Minicamp - from www.KFFL.com

Fri, 29 Apr 2005 18:22:27 -0700

The Associated Press' Bob Baum reports Arizona Cardinals OL L.J. Shelton was excused from the team's minicamp which started Friday, April 29. With a potential trade of Shelton to the Buffalo Bills apparently dead, Arizona could release Shelton soon.

:lol:  :lol:  ;)  :P

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...-noshow-ON.html

"The only other player missing on Friday was offensive tackle L.J. Shelton, and he had Green's permission to be absent.

The Cardinals have made it clear that Shelton, who started at right tackle most of last season, does not fit in their plans. With a potential trade to Buffalo for running back Travis Henry apparently dead, Arizona could release Shelton soon.

If they wait until June 1 to release him, it would reduce the salary cap implications for the team."

I'd sign him for league minimum. See what he can do. If he can't, cut him. If he can, great, he's cheap.

More on Shelton's impending release:

Cards, Green can't avoid Boldin's absence

Kent Somers

The Arizona Republic

Apr. 30, 2005 12:00 AM

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/...0cards0430.html

Then Green reiterated one of his off-season themes, that he's going to be less patient this year than last, when the Cardinals went 6-10.

"I've got a lot more on my mind about what I'm going to do with this football team," he said. "And I don't really care who buys into it or not."

With that, Green started to leave, saying: "I think I've probably said enough."

But he changed his mind when someone asked him about offensive tackle L.J. Shelton, who was not encouraged to attend. The team is trying to trade Shelton and didn't require his attendance.

It's a precautionary move, but the club doesn't want Shelton to suffer an injury. If Shelton isn't traded, it's likely he'll be cut after June 1