Talking heads on the Cable News programs.

this probably belongs in an active thread....so sorry for not taking the time to find a place to put this.

I have been watching some of the Cable News programs lately as this Fillabuster debate heats up.

Last night I flipped between Hardball, Scarbourough Country, and a couple of the Fox News programs.

Why do Liberals continue to say, "The American people do not want the conservative Republican agenda forced down their throats."

Who do they think put those people in office? Much to their dismay, the French and the Canadians and the Germans do not vote for the men and women serving in the US Congress and Senate......American People do.

SO why do they continue to presume what the American people do or do not want?

I actually have no problem with a Fillabuster ...although, my preference would be to see these clowns keep their mouths shut and vote "yeah or neah".

If anything....those (and they are not all democrats) that support the Fillabusters are the ones forcing their agenda down the throats of America by not allowing a vote.

Norman Lear was on Hardball the other night....and he made one incoherent comment after another.

Thoughts?

Why do Liberals continue to say, "The American people do not want the conservative Republican agenda forced down their throats."

Who do they think put those people in office? Much to their dismay, the French and the Canadians and the Germans do not vote for the men and women serving in the US Congress and Senate......American People do.

SO why do they continue to presume what the American people do or do not want?

322216[/snapback]

Because the American people overwhelmingly do not support a rule change.

Washington Post thingy

"But by a 2 to 1 ratio, the public rejected easing Senate rules in a way that would make it harder for Democratic senators to prevent final action on Bush's nominees. Even many Republicans were reluctant to abandon current Senate confirmation procedures: Nearly half opposed any rule changes, joining eight in 10 Democrats and seven in 10 political independents, the poll found."

322216[/snapback]

Because Hardball, Scarborough Country and a couple of Fox News programs pay them to say that. Kill your television.

Over the years I've also heard conservatives say - The American people do not want the liberal Democratic agenda forced down their throats.

Just depends on who is power at the time. Though the republicans are experts at also using a version of that comment while they are in power. They are the political pros.

you know what annoys me abou this whole debate?

the last few days i've come home from work and had a message on my machine, it was a recorded political thing urging me to contact my senators to stop the fillabuster.

i doubt my senators have anything to do with the filabuster, as both are republican. (warner/allen - virginia)

you know what annoys me abou this whole debate?

the last few days i've come home from work and had a message on my machine, it was a recorded political thing urging me to contact my senators to stop the fillabuster.

I had one of those recorded political message to urge me to call my congressmen to support the Bush SS plan.

ok....here's a question.....what kind of logistical nightmares would there be if there were annual elections on such topics as:

Abortion

Death Penalty

Legalization of pot

Gay Marriage

I had a few people tell me that no one knows what the American People want based on who is in the White House...and who controls the Senate or Congress.

Why not have a core group of items and send it to the American public once annually.

I am not saying, each of these items go on the ballot each year.

Maybe one item lets say Gay Marriage goes on the ballot once every 5 to 10 years.

And whichever way the people vote....so goes the law of the land.

The theory behind the filibuster according to the founding fathers, was that one party that had simple majority power would not be able to control the whole shebang and thereby persecute the minority. It also prevents a tennis match situation where when one party has control and sets X rule, then when the other party gets a majority, they set it at Z. Cuts to the chase and they meet at Y, in theory.

If the Repubs do get what they're looking for, do you think they'll shut up and take it when the pendulum swings the other way. Because what goes around comes around.

Some things will not be settled like this tho, abortion and civil rights among them. There is one judgment for them. By and large, they only roll forward, not back. When Republicans got back in power in the '80s, they couldn't (overtly) re-enforce segregation.

Over the years I've also heard conservatives say - The American people do not want the liberal Democratic agenda forced down their throats.

Just depends on who is power at the time.  Though the republicans are experts at also using a version of that comment while they are in power.  They are the political pros.

322297[/snapback]

I think the majority of the American people do not want any agenda forced down their throats. Personally, I don't need Tom Delay telling me who to worship any more than I need Nancy Pelosi telling me I shouldn't trust Wall Street.

I think the majority of the American people do not want any agenda forced down their throats.  Personally, I don't need Tom Delay telling me who to worship any more than I need Nancy Pelosi telling me I shouldn't trust Wall Street.

322473[/snapback]

Well said.