Per the front page...

What are the chances of Henry not getting moved and him sitting out the season? He says there's no way he plays in Buffalo this year and we all know he's hurting for cash. He strikes me as the type of person that is selfish and would sit just to spite the Bills even if it would hurt him in the future.

What are the chances of Henry not getting moved and him sitting out the season? He says there's no way he plays in Buffalo this year and we all know he's hurting for cash. He strikes me as the type of person that is selfish and would sit just to spite the Bills even if it would hurt him in the future.

321984[/snapback]

Talk about cutting off your nose to spite your face.

If Henry sits this season he is dumber than we all gave him credit for.

321984[/snapback]

He can't sit. If he sits the year he is still property of the Bills next year, and any team that wants to sign him has to get his rights from the Bills. The Bills hold the cards here, not Henry.

321984[/snapback]

how do we know he's hurting for cash? perhaps he learned his lesson regarding the rookie deal and has taken care of the bonus money he received on the extension? perhaps he has secured a sizeable loan? i don't think we can make assumptions that henry is broke.......

i don't view henry as being selfish.......i think he just wants to play, and that isn't going to happen in buffalo.......as a result, he's doing what he can to force a move to another club........can't say i blame him.......

sitting for spite? i don't think so.......he just wants to move on, and that is his leverage in the situation -- the threat of a holdout........

how do we know he's hurting for cash? perhaps he learned his lesson regarding the rookie deal and has taken care of the bonus money he received on the extension? perhaps he has secured a sizeable loan? i don't think we can make assumptions that henry is broke.......

i don't view henry as being selfish.......i think he just wants to play, and that isn't going to happen in buffalo.......as a result, he's doing what he can to force a move to another club........can't say i blame him.......

sitting for spite? i don't think so.......he just wants to move on, and that is his leverage in the situation -- the threat of a holdout........

322000[/snapback]

Like Todd said above. He has no leverage. If he sits out a year then the Bills still hold his rights for another year. Maybe he's thinking he'll get an outright release. I disagree with you about Henry being selfish. He was a little B word from day 1 that McGahee was drafted. He's done a great job (most of the time) for the Bills but has handled this situation like a baby. If you want to be a frickin starter then earn it.

He thinks he's playing hardball right now by not attending the mini-camp. If he's still with the team come July, he'll be at camp. If he isn't, he can kiss any type of decent contract goodbye come 2006.

Like Todd said above. He has no leverage. If he sits out a year then the Bills still hold his rights for another year. Maybe he's thinking he'll get an outright release. I disagree with you about Henry being selfish. He was a little B word from day 1 that McGahee was drafted. He's done a great job (most of the time) for the Bills but has handled this situation like a baby. If you want to be a frickin starter then earn it.

322001[/snapback]

he has leverage - he can sit until week 11 and come back for the final 6 games........that counts as an accrued season and he is then a UFA.......

he has leverage - he can sit until week 11 and come back for the final 6 games........that counts as an accrued season and he is then a UFA.......

322005[/snapback]

He can be fined an ungodly amount also. He can't win.

He can be fined an ungodly amount also.  He can't win.

322010[/snapback]

he would be fined 5/8th's of his salary.......i wouldn't consider getting paid almost 500K to dress for 6 games a horrible situation........

You'd think Travis would get a clue and realize "hey, if a trade doesn't happen and I don't play this year, what kind of contract would I get then?" In this day and age in the NFL, numbers talk and if Henry doesn't put up any numbers this season by sitting out, then that just goes to show how ignorant he and his agent really are. If it were me, I'd be at the camps, the team activities, etc., if just for face time, and be ready to go should I get the call. The NFL isn't for babies Travis.

he would be fined 5/8th's of his salary.......i wouldn't consider getting paid almost 500K to dress for 6 games a horrible situation........

322014[/snapback]

Maybe at face value. But the message he sends to the rest of the NFL by being a jerk hurts his value. He sits and he's screwed. Donahoe knows this, and holds all the cards.

Look, nobody held the kid at gunpoint when he signed his extension, and certainly nobody promised him a starting job for the duration of the contract. I know this sounds terribly naive, but what the hell ever happened to signing a contract and honoring it? Again, he's a complete idiot if he thinks this will help his cause.

Maybe at face value. But the message he sends to the rest of the NFL by being a jerk hurts his value. He sits and he's screwed. Donahoe knows this, and holds all the cards.

322021[/snapback]

i think you could find just as many teams that feel he's been jerked around by the bills and can understand his position......

hopefully we don't need to find out if his threat is hollow and that something gets worked out between now and the start of the season......having him on the roster is not good for either side........

It is good to think that you are worthy of a starting position however, TH has stupefied the Bills brass by unequivocally stating that he is the best RB on the team. What the can he prove holding out? It would just soldify his character amongst his peers as being selfish and the Patriots proved that you win SBs sacrificing for the greater good of the team. He has considered his own success foremost to that of the team's and therefore, TD should trade him even if its for lesser value than what he believes he can get for him.

He is a cancer at this point and he should be surgically removed rather than living with it and having it spread throughout the body.

Yeah, they all came calling on draft day... :P

322038[/snapback]

I was about to type, almost, the exact words...TH has absolutely no leverage in this situation.

To d wag,

If he sits out the first 11 games it is NOT up to him to come back the last 5. Your inference is that TH can pick and choose his contract obligations. Do you honestly think if he sits out 11 games and then announces during week 12 "OK I am ready to return so I can earn 500K"....that TD or RW would let him? No way.

TH is losing the battle, he will lose the war, and if he is not careful he can lose his livelihood. Everyone remotely connected to the NFL realizes the shelf life of a running back is 4-5 years. Especially in light of TH style, what year is he in? Exactly my point.

Plus, he is just not that good to act like a prima donna.

You'd think Travis would get a clue and realize "hey, if a trade doesn't happen and I don't play this year, what kind of contract would I get then?"  In this day and age in the NFL, numbers talk and if Henry doesn't put up any numbers this season by sitting out, then that just goes to show how ignorant he and his agent really are.  If it were me, I'd be at the camps, the team activities, etc., if just for face time, and be ready to go should I get the call.  The NFL isn't for babies Travis.

322015[/snapback]

While I do agree that the best thing for Travis is not to play hardball and just make the best of the situation, I can see why he is frustrated. It is not like he is asking to renew his contract and overpricing himself. He gave is all to the Bills. When McGahee was drafted he was like %95 of this board: WHY? I mean he had just come off a Pro Bowl Season playing on a losing team playing hurt, had just signed a cheap, team friendly extension with every intention of remaining in Buffalo for a long time (his childhood favorite team) and we had so many more pressing needs. We would have been set a RB with a player content on being a Bill without having to dish out megabucks giving the flexibility to spread that money around.Now while McGahee played well last year, if we didn't have him aboard %95 of Bills fan would be all on Henry's ship (as they were in 2002/2003), calling him underated and a hard working, unselfish TEAM player. Now that McGahee has come in and shown FLASHES, most have jumped ship; I mean it isn't like he came in like Bo Jackson and average 5 yards a carry, busting out 90 yard carries, he only averaged 4.0 ypc, about the same as Travis. I'm not discounting Willis in anyway; in some facets he is better than Travis (better blocker,reciever) but not by much. Just wait till Rosenhaus has McGahee sit out and demand a pay raise twice what Henry would have commanded; the grass always looks greener on the other side!

I was about to type, almost, the exact words...TH has absolutely no leverage in this situation.

To d wag,

If he sits out the first 11 games it is NOT up to him to come back the last 5.  Your inference is that TH can pick and choose his contract obligations.  Do you honestly think if he sits out 11 games and then announces during week 12 "OK I am ready to return so I can earn 500K"....that TD or RW would let him?  No way.

TH is losing the battle, he will lose the war, and if he is not careful he can lose his livelihood.  Everyone remotely connected to the NFL realizes the shelf life of a running back is 4-5 years.  Especially in light of TH style, what year is he in? Exactly my point.

Plus, he is just not that good to act like a prima donna.

322049[/snapback]

actually, he does get to pick and choose.......if he decides to return in week 11 (meaning there are 6 games left on the schedule) the bills do have the option to suspend him........however, he still receives credit for an accrued season because he made himself available.......sorry, that is the way it goes.......

however, choosing to suspend him would make not moving him before the season look even more foolish........they would get no value for him (neither in trade or on field performance).......

"There is a dark cloud right now, but I know the sun is going to shine on me eventually."

From the headlines, I was afraid Travis was going to break into song!

Like he's been watching the Annie video at Hadley's house... "the sun'll come up, tomorrow..."