Anyone see that story last night on 60 Minutes?

A bunch of soldiers in Iraq stumbled upon a HOARD of cash...some $300 million dollars in metal boxes. And the Army didn't let them keep a red cent. The government should be ashamed that they kept these soldiers away from their find.

321981[/snapback]

NOTE: I did not see the story, so my only point of reference is JSPs description.

Why should they keep part of the money? Did they find it while doing their jobs? If a cop finds a bunch of cash while on the job, should he be allowed to keep part of it or turn it in?

NOTE: I did not see the story, so my only point of reference is JSPs description.

Why should they keep part of the money? Did they find it while doing their jobs? If a cop finds a bunch of cash while on the job, should he be allowed to keep part of it or turn it in?

322008[/snapback]

Personally, I have no problem with a cop keeping some of the money he finds. He's more than earned it. Same with these soldiers. Really, in the grand scheme of things, what's a couple hundred thousand dollars out of 300 mill?

Really, in the grand scheme of things, what's a couple hundred thousand dollars out of 300 mill?

322024[/snapback]

...or you could give it to the Iraqi people. Imagine what a couple hundred thousand could do for the people of that country and the good will it would impart.

...or you could give it to the Iraqi people. Imagine what a couple hundred thousand could do for the people of that country and the good will it would impart.

Actually I think they stated that the US govt was using the money for the "rebuilding" efforts in Iraq.

Sorry Joe, dangerous precedent.  You'd have guys "finding" money all the time.  That's not the kind of incentive to give guys with that much power.

322053[/snapback]

Indeed. Imagine rogue units shaking people down, then going "Oh, we 'found' this money."

Edit:Still, Kelly's Heroes was a great fuggin' movie. :P

Sorry Joe, dangerous precedent.  You'd have guys "finding" money all the time.  That's not the kind of incentive to give guys with that much power.

322053[/snapback]

What's odd was, the sergeant they talked to said his superiors ORDERED him to do "whatever it took" to secure items such as Vs, DVDs, stereos and computers for the men of his unit (my former division). Then when it came time to find something for himself, they threw him out.

And I'd imagine it's not all that often one "finds" $300 million dollars. Some of thes guys found it twice or thrice.

Indeed. Imagine rogue units shaking people down, then going "Oh, we 'found' this money."

Edit:Still, Kelly's Heroes was a great fuggin' movie.  :P

322097[/snapback]

Like Three Kings.

I'm sure there are more than a few soldiers in Iraq who can't wait to get home and spend some cash they found along the way.

The rule is right: you can't keep booty. The reality is also right: you can keep the booty you don't get caught with.

What's odd was, the sergeant they talked to said his superiors ORDERED him to do "whatever it took" to secure items such as Vs, DVDs, stereos and computers for the men of his unit (my former division). Then when it came time to find something for himself, they threw him out.

And I'd imagine it's not all that often one "finds" $300 million dollars. Some of thes guys found it twice or thrice.

322114[/snapback]

Initial reports said it was 320 million. Maybe it was a misprint.

Initial reports said it was 320 million. Maybe it was a misprint.

322120[/snapback]

They found several caches of that size over the span of a month.

What would any of you do if you were a private earning $15k a year to be shot at and potentially blown up and YOU stumbled across $300 million?

And cut the bull because you KNOW you'd want to take a stack.

A bunch of soldiers in Iraq stumbled upon a HOARD of cash...some $300 million dollars in metal boxes. And the Army didn't let them keep a red cent. The government should be ashamed that they kept these soldiers away from their find.

321981[/snapback]

I think you're heart is in the right place, Joe, but it does set a bad precedent. We don't want to make it look like we went there to "liberate" the money from Iraq.

Actually I think they stated that the US govt was using the money for the "rebuilding" efforts in Iraq.

322079[/snapback]

I hope that means something beyond spending the money on the the oil industry.

They found several caches of that size over the span of a month.

What would any of you do if you were a private earning $15k a year to be shot at and potentially blown up and YOU stumbled across $300 million?

And cut the bull because you KNOW you'd want to take a stack.

322129[/snapback]

Mine was a joke... that the pile of cash was "320... I mean 300 million, sir. All 300 million accounted for. I *thought* there was 320, but I was wrong. "

If I stumbled on 320 million in blood money, what would I do? I don't smoke, but I would sit down on that enormous throne of money, and have a long contemplative smoke.

I saw it. What played out is exactly what was supposed to play out, except for the Supply Sergeant getting booted out of the Army. When soldiers happen upon $300 Million, they think of what they could do with that money. Then the officers show up and say, "Yup it sure would be nice, but that's not what we're here for. Now do the job you were trained to do." They'll look the other way when it comes to some small creature comforts, but looting Saddam's blood money ain't part of the deal. They should not have discharged (honorable? general? dishonorable? they didn't say) the Supply Sergeant. Just because he said, "Hey, what if we keep it? They're shootin' at us, fer cryin' out loud!" doesn't mean he did anything wrong. Lots of folks would ask that question.