Will JP be better than Drew?

What makes Tom Brady so effective, more than anything else in my opinion, is his ability to see every receiver and how open they are. Drew Bledsoe has proven to me over the years he can only see one receiver per play.

JP will bring an improvement in mobility, and hopefully accuracy. It should not be too hard to improve on Drew's behind-the-receiver throws. What will cinch the deal is JP's abilit to see his receivers in the heat of battle. If he can be anything like Brady in that department, we have our franchise QB.

PTR

Thanks to recent innovations courtesy of ESPN's Sunday Night Football that provide the television viewer with the QB's point of view, I was able to pick up on this fixation of Bledsoe. During the Pats game at Gillete Stadium last year you could see other WR open downfield and Bledsoe would continue to make bonehead decisions in the pocket that lead to turnovers.

Good point and good topic

I think that it is great that JP is working so hard at studying film & working with Sam Wyche

but yeah I think his field vision & how well he will be able to look off his receivers will be important to his success

Brady may be the best in the league at it

Drew locked into his receiver then would be sacked before he would look anywhere else. Drew also through way too many interceptions thoughout his career.

Lets hope that JP will be able to see the field well & read defenses & find ways to get the ball where it needs to be, whether it be a 1st 2nd or 3rd option

Good point. I think the only area in which Bledsoe might have a slight edge over JP would be arm strength. Does JP have the ability to throw the ball 40 - 50 yards in the air? I think he will equal or exceed Bledsoe in the other areas.

Can the coaches speak into the QB's helmet radio and offer advice during the play. Such as, the 3rd WR is open down the left side , etc. ?

321894[/snapback]

haha, that would make it a little easier!

someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the communication is cut when they're are 10 or 15 seconds left on the play clock........

Drew also through way too many interceptions thoughout his career.

Unbelievable; yet more revisionist history :P

Manning throws 1.07 INTs per game. Bledsoe throws 1.05 INTs per game. Culpepper throws 1.00 INTs per game. Kurt Warner (whom people wanted as the starting QB for Buffalo) throws 1.10 INTs per game. Our very own Jim Kelly threw 1.09 INts per game.

And before someone says "He threw too many in Buffalo," I'll point out that he threw 0.90 INTs per game during his time here.

There are defiantely some QBs who have thrown less (yes, Brady is one of them), but he by no means throws "too many interceptions."

CW

someone can correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe the communication is cut when they're are 10 or 15 seconds left on the play clock........

321923[/snapback]

I believe you are correct.

CW

Good point.  I think the only area in which Bledsoe might have a slight edge over JP would be arm strength.  Does JP have the ability to throw the ball 40 - 50 yards in the air?  I think he will equal or exceed Bledsoe in the other areas.

321917[/snapback]

Actually, his arm strength is probably JP's greatest skill right behind his athletic ability to run. He was concidered by many to have the strongest arm, and a more accurate deep ball than any other QB in last years class.

The only reason JP was not a top 10 pick was because he came from a not so great football program at Tulane, and JP supposely has an attitude that rubs people the wrong way.

The only reason JP was not a top 10 pick was because he came from a not so great football program at Tulane, and JP supposely has an attitude that rubs people the wrong way.

321940[/snapback]

The other reason he wasn't a top-10 pick is because he needs to work on his mechanics. It was reported that he doesn't set properly, doesn't throw properly, and needs some work there.

Here's an example:

http://www.packersnews.com/archives/news/d..._15751564.shtml

“He’s a guy that needs work. Technically, he gets a little bit out of control. His mechanics aren’t always sound,” said a scout for an AFC East team.

and another:

http://wagerstreet.com/btl/btl.html?id=21&...ecd901fc4ed0644

Losman has terrible

mechanics and is somewhat immature, though he does have the raw talent to be a quality signal caller

Also, here's a list of his negatives according to TSN:

Locks onto his primary target. Holds the ball too long and will force some throws. Puts too much mustard on short passes. Played in a shotgun system and must work on his drop. An emotional young man with a rep for being cocky at times.

Wow, sounds like everything people said Bledsoe did, except for the cocky part. :P

http://tsn.ca/nfl/teams/player_bio.asp?pla...314&hubname=BUF

Again, not saying he won't be good, not saying he won't be an improvement. However I still believe that saying he definately will be an improvement, that it's not hard to improve upon what we've had in the past, etc, is pure folly.

CW

The other reason he wasn't a top-10 pick is because he needs to work on his mechanics.  It was reported that he doesn't set properly, doesn't throw properly, and needs some work there.

Here's an example:

and another:

Wow, sounds like everything people said Bledsoe did, except for the cocky part.  :P

Again, not saying he won't be good, not saying he won't be an improvement.  However I still believe that saying he definately will be an improvement, that it's not hard to improve upon what we've had in the past, etc, is pure folly.

CW

321945[/snapback]

all good points, but I don't see basic mechanics as something that would scare a team off because every single rookie to enter the NFL needs to adjust mechanics a bit to adjust to a different game. What if this was said about a QB.....

"He doesn't throw a particularly great deep ball, is not very mobile. He seems to have good pocket presence, but at times doesn't appear to see the blitz coming."

"Deep throws lack speed and must improve his accuracy down the field. Lacks the quick set up or ability to immediately get the ball off on a three-step drop. Does not display pinpoint pass placement coming out of college."

"Not known for his deep ball and takes too many sacks. Definelty not fast by any means and will be strictly a pocket passer."

Does that sound like a top 10 pick? Those are all scouting reports of Eli Manning.

The other reason he wasn't a top-10 pick is because he needs to work on his mechanics.  It was reported that he doesn't set properly, doesn't throw properly, and needs some work there.

Here's an example:

and another:

Wow, sounds like everything people said Bledsoe did, except for the cocky part.  :P

Again, not saying he won't be good, not saying he won't be an improvement.  However I still believe that saying he definately will be an improvement, that it's not hard to improve upon what we've had in the past, etc, is pure folly.

CW

321945[/snapback]

rivers mechanics sucks . JP has is a lot better than rivers in his throwing motion .

rivers mechanics sucks . JP has is a lot better than rivers in his throwing motion .

321963[/snapback]

It's not just throwing motion, it's also his footwork; apparantly he doesn't set properly.

Last I checked, Rivers wasn't a good QB in the league yet.

CW

It's not just throwing motion, it's also his footwork; apparantly he doesn't set properly.

Last I checked, Rivers wasn't a good QB in the league yet.

CW

321968[/snapback]

was taken a head of JP . JP carried tulane on his arm

Agreed. I'm as optimistic as the next guy, but people need to realize that the odds are against JP being successful in the long run, and they OVERWHELMINGLY are against JP beig successful next season. More likely than not, either Holcomb starts the season after an inconsistent camp/preseason by JP (not the worst scenario in my estimation), or we struggle through a difficult year by JP as he learns the game. I don't care how much learning/watching/thinking he's doing right now, it's the rare case that a first-year QB doesn't have serious growing pains as he gets acclimated to the League. Brady is the only one I can think of, really - I don't think Big Ben was as good as people think he was last season.

I don't think Big Ben was as good as people think he was last season.

321997[/snapback]

good or not, he was undefeated as a starter.........as long as the defense, special teams, and running game play up to par, i "big ben" like performance from JP would result in the playoffs.......pittsburgh is the model that buffalo needs to follow for next year.....

Will JP be better than Drew?

I sure hope so, and I fully expect that he will be, but the possibility does exist that he could be worse.

If JP is worse than Drew, would you ever wish that we had kept Bledsoe?

Hmmm... I don't think so. :P:w00t::w00t: