A REALITY CHECK

Is the OL situation better or worse than a year ago  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Is the OL situation better or worse than a year ago

• Better
    • Worse
    • The Same

Think back (I know its tough) a second before coming up with answer to this poll.

There have been various posts which have described our OL situation as anything from troubled to horrendous.

How does it compare to the situation regarding the OL as minicamp opened after last year's draft.

The positions were:

LT- Jonas Jennings (a good start though at that point he had yet to start all 16 games yet in his career)

LG- Opem as Ruben had been cut but Mike Pucillo was the likely candidate to replace him at the time

C- Teague was the definite center though he was coming off a 2003 season where complaints about whether he could handle the big bodies increasinly at DT were heard.

RG- Chris Villarial had been signed but he had yet to take a snap as a Bill

RT- MW's grandma who had raised him had passed away and he was about to begin a series of excused absences from minicamp which were part of a general meltdown.

Clearly in 2005 our OL is unsettled but this group is coming off of posting wins in 8 of their ten outings. They lost Jennings to FA, but 16 players will be coming to camp to attempt to forge an OL unit.

So what do you think? It is clearly unsettled, but are we in worse shape on the OL than we were last year when this unit was part of a team which fell just short of the playoffs and posted a winning record?

You male the call.

The OL situation will be infinitely improved. The Bills added some players who have starting experience and some came from lousy teams. And the draftees (and undraftees) they got made McNally happy (even moreso if they can get Munoz, I would expect). Just the competition alone will make the O-line better.

Yeah, we won't see a replay of what happened to Big Mike last TC, so that's an improvement right there. And the LG position will at worst be manned by Andersen who was part of some good Ravens O-lines (despite him being called the "weak link" of that O-line, it's all relative and he's still better than the "best" LG the Bills had to offer last year). I'm personally hoping that "Duke" wins the OC spot, because I don't want to see Teague or Tucker there, since they don't have the natural size "Duke" does. And if Teague plays LT, I'm fine with that. Get him some help (i.e. put a TE next to him a lot) if need be.

I think the major Teague problem at LT is that he has a strength of smarts and mobility, but that isn't the road grater/seal blocker that oue offense wants at LT for WM to stiff-arm his way to the outside.

I assume that the docs report on the Shelton ankle was a big part of why the Bills braintrust didn't pull the trigger on this deal. From what I hear of our O scheme, a player who has trouble in space but strength as a road-grater and difficult to dislodge once he gets his arms on you is just what we can use at LT. The problems blocking outside speed rushes is tough since it is the QBs blindside byt JP is used to running for his life and if he has the radar out for the left side I'm less worried about the athleticism deficit.

Teague has it reversed however in that his athleticism is good but he is not an immovable object.

I do not think the talent is as good having lost Jonas, however Teague, Williams and Villarial who I think are all locks to start know the scheme now, which they did not know last mini-camp. Mike Gandy and Bennie Anderson could pottentially be new starters and them not knowing the scheme could cause troubles early on, however I am confident this unit will gel and be atleast as good as it was down the streach last year.

I'm confident to a reasonable degree at RT and the guard spots. I like the Anderson pickup. I like Gandy as Price II. I still have to come down on the negative side. We are either completely missing a left tackle (we have none) or we have a below average one and we are missing a center.

I am hopeful something will happen by camp.

I picked the same

I don't think that Trey Teague will be as good of a left tackle as Jonas Jennings

I think that Bennie Anderson or Justin Geisinger will provide an upgrade at LG

I think that Ross Tucker or Raymond Preston will be about the same or a slight downgrade at C

I think that Chris Villarrial & Mike Williams will be a bit better being under McNally for a full season

Think back (I know its tough) a second before coming up with answer to this poll.

There have been various posts which have described our OL situation as anything from troubled to horrendous.

How does it compare to the situation regarding the OL as minicamp opened after last year's draft.

The positions were:

LT- Jonas Jennings (a good start though at that point he had yet to start all 16 games yet in his career)

LG- Opem as Ruben had been cut but Mike Pucillo was the likely candidate to replace him at the time

C- Teague was the definite center though he was coming off a 2003 season where complaints about whether he could handle the big bodies increasinly at DT were heard.

RG- Chris Villarial had been signed but he had yet to take a snap as a Bill

RT- MW's grandma who had raised him had passed away and he was about to begin a series of excused absences from minicamp which were part of a general meltdown.

Clearly in 2005 our OL is unsettled but this group is coming off of posting wins in 8 of their ten outings. They lost Jennings to FA, but 16 players will be coming to camp to attempt to forge an OL unit.

So what do you think? It is clearly unsettled, but are we in worse shape on the OL than we were last year when this unit was part of a team which fell just short of the playoffs and posted a winning record?

You male the call.

321632[/snapback]

I think its about the same when you add in Gandy and Anderson vs. the loss of Jonas and the possibility of moving Teague to LT. But I think also that its a little early to speculate until we see them compete. I think the biggest difference that we'll all notice this year is that they won't have to hold their blocks nearly as long which will result in alot less penalties and injuries, hopefully. :P

I think there should be a choice for unsure, its just so hard to say at this time. How much will the Bills miss JJ? Can the Bills adequately fill the LT position? Can they catch lightning in a bottle with all the OL they have? Honestly, I cannot even give an answer to whether it is better or not right now.