Reasons to be optimistic about the season

First, it's much more fun and healthy than to be pessimistic, and because no one has any idea how it is going to turn out, I choose to look at what could be. There are reasons to be pessimistic, too, and I'm sure we can get Dee Ray or d Rag to provide them. But here is the state of the Bills, unit by unit.

1. Coaching. We really should be improved with Mularkey and Clements having a year under their belt, and the players (mainly Losman) with the skills they can use to their advantage, meaning creativity on offense. We didn't lose anyone as a coach and I find it hard to believe that our coaching will not improve.

2. DBs. We didn't have Vincent at safety until the last couple games and immediately he made an impact. Having him the whole year plus a training camp to learn the position should make us better back there. McGee was forced into a starting position a little before he was ready and it showed but he also should be much better than last year. He's a ballplayer and a playmaker. Thomas and Greer with an extra year, along with Baker as a reserve, should all make this a better unit overall, and it was pretty good to start with. Nate should excel as he came into his prime, is in contract year, and has Vincent behind him.

3. LBs. I see no reason to think this unit will perform at any different level than they did last year. They will, however, probably make a few more tackles 4 yards back instead of 2 because of the loss of Phat Pat, but there is no reason for any worry about one of the better units in the league. This unit stays the same as last year, when they were strong.

4. DL. Phat Pat may indeed be a big loss. That said, we should gain a little in the pass rush from Edwards. If Tim Anderson can stuff adequately we shouldn't lose much. I do see a gain, however, in Kelsay's play after a year as a starter and there is no reason to believe that Schobel will not be as good or slightly better coming into his prime. This is a small but not crucial loss on the line because of Pat...

But overall the defense should be as good as it was last year. A little less stout against the run and a little more efficient against the pass. The base unit is coming into their third year together and Jerry Gray proved his mettle last year as its coach.

5. WRs. We should be significantly better here this year simply because it took Evans about half the season to get up to speed, which is burning. Adding more speed with Parrish can create mismatches. We didn't lose anyone, we gained a half year of Evans at his best and we gained speed and play-making. This is a better unit than last.

6. TEs. All depends on injuries and how Campbell and Euhus return from them but we are being told they will be 100% by training camp and again, we simply should be a better unit with Everrett replacing Neufeld and with Jason Peters jumping in at the end of the line in double TE formations. Plus we only had TEs in our offense for 3/4 of the season because we lost both in the same 12th game. Losing Neufeld and gaining Everett who can run, as well as Euhus coming on after starting slow but showing promise makes this a better unit than last year.

7. RBs. We're better here, too. Willis for the entire year barring injury makes us a completely better team. Who knows what happens with Travis and who cares, unless Willis goes down but we're simply in better shape as a unit because Willis is a stud and will be healthy and start the season FAR better off than we were when we went 0-4. Shelton has a year in the system and no reason to think he won't play as well.

8. QB. Most here, myself included, think we're better off here, too, if only for addition by subtraction. I expect JP to be very Flutie-esque: Gain a lot of first downs with his smarts and his feet, have trouble throwing touchdowns in the red zone, make some bonehead plays and bad throws at inopportune times, but OVERALL provide better quarterbacking than we had. And he doesn't have the noodle arm that Flutie dd, so he can get the ball deep to Evans and Moulds and Parrish enough to keep the defense honest. Teams will not be able to blitz us as much in all likelihood. We will be able to do so many more things and get the ball to our playmakers because of his mobility and because of the way MM and TC and SW will use him when they couldn't get Drew to do it. I don't predict greatness or even good stats, but I expect production and moving the ball and scoring some points. I think we will get better quarterbacking than we had last year.

9. OL. We took a blow not replacing perhaps our best lineman which isn't saying much. We should be able to run the ball slightly better, however, with Willis healthy and Bennie Anderson and with most of them having a year under McNally's guidance. Teague improved significantly as did Big Mike. If our LT doesn't kill us, which is possible, we should be as good as we were last year based on three things: less skill because of JJ, a little better run blocking because of Anderson and McNally and Williams getting better, and mostly, because Willis's running threat and Losman's legs will mask some deep problems (like Flutie used to) that other teams used to be able to take great advantage of.

We should have better coaching on offense now that they have been here a year and know the players. We should be able to run a little better with a healthy Willis the whole year. We should get better QBing. We have more playmakers, more firepower, more weapons and better ways to use them than last year.

11. Special teams. There is simply no way that we are as good on special teams as we were last year but we can be close. It would be hard to believe we will get 5-6 touchdowns like we did last year but mostly it all comes back intact so we won't lose much. Parrish could be exciting and dangerous. Moorman and Lindell will likely be the same, one excellent and one dangerously inconsistent. Our coverage teams should do well. This is basically a wash or slight downgrade simply because it will be hard to match, not because we lost any talent.

Granted, this isn't counting injuries and things could completely fall apart, at any of these units, but we were a whisker from the playoffs last year, kept away by a bad start, a bonehead play by Nate, a bad slip by Travis, a bad call on a TH touchdown, some bad calls by the coaches and bad quarterbacking. And yet still should have been in the playoffs in the toughest division in football.

We're in good shape, we're better than last year, and this is going to be fun. Go ahead, bash away.

I'm very optimistic as well. I have two concerns, one being the quarterback. Say what you want about bledsoe's shortcomings, or losman's potential, but you can't argue with one fact. You knew exactly what you were getting with bledsoe, and losman still hasn't taken a meaningful snap yet. Now, being the optimist, i fully expect losman to play at a very high level.

My second concern is the defensive line. Pat wasn't an every down player, yada yada yada, but he still was a force. Ron edwards can fill his shoes, but can he play a full 16 games at pat's level? Who knows.

I'm not really concerned about the OL... They obviously see something in teague that will allow him to play LT. donahoe isn't done signing ol people either. I trust mcnally to get that line into playing condition by week 1. Hell, look what he did to that line last year.

I'm willing to be optimistic, but it's hard for me to think that a 165 or whatever lb., 5' 8" slot receiver won't as a simple matter of physics and colliding bodies, be on the IR list sooner or later. Or that a virtual rookie QB sure to be mystified by an NFL playbook not noted for featuring the TE has much of a chance of trying to connect with a TE with 1 year of college experience at the position, all the time with defenses showing looks and changes that JP in his wildest dreams never envisioned.

Uphill battle. But I would stay the course and not bench him.

I'm willing to be optimistic, but it's hard for me to think that a 165 or whatever lb., 5' 8" slot receiver...

He's 5'9-3/4" and 170#, with room the Bills say to add another 10-15#. Just adding 5# more will make him as heavy as Harrison, at 2" shorter. You can't hit what you can't catch, and you can't get a good shot on what doesn't give you a lot of area to hit.

He's 5'9-3/4" and 170#, with room the Bills say to add another 10-15#.  Just adding 5# more will make him as heavy as Harrison, at 2" shorter.  You can't hit what you can't catch, and you can't get a good shot on what doesn't give you a lot of area to hit.

321674[/snapback]

Not going to be a line or downfield blocker for the run game, then? :doh:

Great analysis. One major improvement JP will give us is in the touch passes. i cannot remember which game but DB failed to complete an easy pass to a wide open Moulds who could have run forever. The pass had to travel only 5 or so yards and DB failed as he did on so many such occassions. The swing pass to WM in the flat will be a big play all year long. Why isn't it September?

I'm very optimistic as well.  I have two concerns, one being the quarterback.  Say what you want about bledsoe's shortcomings, or losman's potential, but you can't argue with one fact.  You knew exactly what you were getting with bledsoe, and losman still hasn't taken a meaningful snap yet.  Now, being the optimist, i fully expect losman to play at a very high level.

321622[/snapback]

You knew what you were getting with Bledsoe alright...pat, pat, pat, SACK! It's amazing how people will cling to crap! JP Losman would have to be pretty bad to make me miss Drew Bledsoe. I have enough faith in JP and the coaching staff that they feel like he will be a major improvement.

PTR

First, it's much more fun and healthy than to be pessimistic, and because no one has any idea how it is going to turn out, I choose to look at what could be. There are reasons to be pessimistic, too, and I'm sure we can get Dee Ray or d Rag to provide them. But here is the state of the Bills, unit by unit.

1. Coaching. We really should be improved with Mularkey and Clements having a year under their belt, and the players (mainly Losman) with the skills they can use to their advantage, meaning creativity on offense. We didn't lose anyone as a coach and I find it hard to believe that our coaching will not improve.

2. DBs. We didn't have Vincent at safety until the last couple games and immediately he made an impact. Having him the whole year plus a training camp to learn the position should make us better back there. McGee was forced into a starting position a little before he was ready and it showed but he also should be much better than last year. He's a ballplayer and a playmaker. Thomas and Greer with an extra year, along with Baker as a reserve, should all make this a better unit overall, and it was pretty good to start with. Nate should excel as he came into his prime, is in contract year, and has Vincent behind him.

3. LBs. I see no reason to think this unit will perform at any different level than they did last year. They will, however, probably make a few more tackles 4 yards back instead of 2 because of the loss of Phat Pat, but there is no reason for any worry about one of the better units in the league. This unit stays the same as last year, when they were strong.

4. DL. Phat Pat may indeed be a big loss. That said, we should gain a little in the pass rush from Edwards. If Tim Anderson can stuff adequately we shouldn't lose much. I do see a gain, however, in Kelsay's play after a year as a starter and there is no reason to believe that Schobel will not be as good or slightly better coming into his prime. This is a small but not crucial loss on the line because of Pat...

But overall the defense should be as good as it was last year. A little less stout against the run and a little more efficient against the pass. The base unit is coming into their third year together and Jerry Gray proved his mettle last year as its coach.

5. WRs. We should be significantly better here this year simply because it took Evans about half the season to get up to speed, which is burning. Adding more speed with Parrish can create mismatches. We didn't lose anyone, we gained a half year of Evans at his best and we gained speed and play-making. This is a better unit than last.

6. TEs. All depends on injuries and how Campbell and Euhus return from them but we are being told they will be 100% by training camp and again, we simply should be a better unit with Everrett replacing Neufeld and with Jason Peters jumping in at the end of the line in double TE formations. Plus we only had TEs in our offense for 3/4 of the season because we lost both in the same 12th game. Losing Neufeld and gaining Everett who can run, as well as Euhus coming on after starting slow but showing promise makes this a better unit than last year.

7. RBs. We're better here, too. Willis for the entire year barring injury makes us a completely better team. Who knows what happens with Travis and who cares, unless Willis goes down but we're simply in better shape as a unit because Willis is a stud and will be healthy and start the season FAR better off than we were when we went 0-4. Shelton has a year in the system and no reason to think he won't play as well.

8. QB. Most here, myself included, think we're better off here, too, if only for addition by subtraction. I expect JP to be very Flutie-esque: Gain a lot of first downs with his smarts and his feet, have trouble throwing touchdowns in the red zone, make some bonehead plays and bad throws at inopportune times, but OVERALL provide better quarterbacking than we had. And he doesn't have the noodle arm that Flutie dd, so he can get the ball deep to Evans and Moulds and Parrish enough to keep the defense honest. Teams will not be able to blitz us as much in all likelihood. We will be able to do so many more things and get the ball to our playmakers because of his mobility and because of the way MM and TC and SW will use him when they couldn't get Drew to do it. I don't predict greatness or even good stats, but I expect production and moving the ball and scoring some points. I think we will get better quarterbacking than we had last year.

9. OL. We took a blow not replacing perhaps our best lineman which isn't saying much. We should be able to run the ball slightly better, however, with Willis healthy and Bennie Anderson and with most of them having a year under McNally's guidance. Teague improved significantly as did Big Mike. If our LT doesn't kill us, which is possible, we should be as good as we were last year based on three things: less skill because of JJ, a little better run blocking because of Anderson and McNally and Williams getting better, and mostly, because Willis's running threat and Losman's legs will mask some deep problems (like Flutie used to) that other teams used to be able to take great advantage of.

We should have better coaching on offense now that they have been here a year and know the players. We should be able to run a little better with a healthy Willis the whole year. We should get better QBing. We have more playmakers, more firepower, more weapons and better ways to use them than last year.

11. Special teams. There is simply no way that we are as good on special teams as we were last year but we can be close. It would be hard to believe we will get 5-6 touchdowns like we did last year but mostly it all comes back intact so we won't lose much. Parrish could be exciting and dangerous. Moorman and Lindell will likely be the same, one excellent and one dangerously inconsistent. Our coverage teams should do well. This is basically a wash or slight downgrade simply because it will be hard to match, not because we lost any talent.

Granted, this isn't counting injuries and things could completely fall apart, at any of these units, but we were a whisker from the playoffs last year, kept away by a bad start, a bonehead play by Nate, a bad slip by Travis, a bad call on a TH touchdown, some bad calls by the coaches and bad quarterbacking. And yet still should have been in the playoffs in the toughest division in football.

We're in good shape, we're better than last year, and this is going to be fun. Go ahead, bash away.

321605[/snapback]

Good analysis thanks for the insight

I do not want to be pessimistic but here are some worries of mine. I worry Mularkey may end like other Pittsburgh assistants. That is to say I think Cower disciples have had little success. Dom Capers had some early success in Carolina guiding them to the NFC championship game in there second season,b ut quickly faded. The jury is still out on him in Houston. The French Chef Dick Lebeau did little in Cincinatti. Haslett had some early successs in New Orleans and has done little since. Chan Gailey had some early succes in Big D but faded as well. What I am trying to say is Bill Cowher's coaching tree has not been overly succesful in my opinion.

As far as JP goes I trust that MM made the right call in going with him over Bledsoe and this is because he made the correct call to switch from Kordell to Tommy Maddox. Perhpas this was Cowher's decission I don't know.

I am not too worried about JP starting and that is because I think if MM can coach guys like Kordell Stewart and Tommy Maddox to decent seasons I think he and Tom Clements can work wonders with JP.

As far as the o-line yes, I would have loved to have had Jennings back, however was the o-line came together they played great. Imagine how good our o-line would have been if they had played the same way they did down the streach for the entire season. The only troubles we may run into here is that Bennie Anderson and possibly Gandy if they both start will be forced to learn a new scheme. Does anybody have any idea about Anderson and Gandy's intelligence.

Anyway I do not want to write an essay here, but there are questions facing this team like just like there is every team.

321605[/snapback]

I agree with this, to a point. What I really hope to see happen with JP is the opposite of what Ray Lucas did when he came in fresh after Fiedler went out with injury for the fins... I want to see him first, be a caretaker not a playmaker on offense! short, consistent throws to the wr's and te's, pick up a few first downs with his legs and most importantly rely on our defense and ST's to dictate the games. Then as he gets more comfortable open it up downfield with his cannon! :P

I agree with this, to a point. What I really hope to see happen with JP is the opposite of what Ray Lucas did when he came in fresh after Fiedler went out with injury for the fins... I want to see him first, be a caretaker not a playmaker on offense! short, consistent throws to the wr's and te's, pick up a few first downs with his legs and most importantly rely on our defense and ST's to dictate the games. Then as he gets more comfortable open it up downfield with his cannon! :P

321896[/snapback]

Yeah, I think so, too. No one knows at this point how much he can handle and what they will ask of him. I would guess that it opens up as the season goes on and how well he plays. I don't expect them to be wide open at all, but that doesn't mean a few plays a game they ask him to air it out and go deep, or throw some wrinkles in just to keep the defense on its heels. Also, a lot has to do with how well Willis can run and the line can block for him. If he is picking up yards suddenly play-action is opened up which allows the line and quarterback more time to throw.

321605[/snapback]

It's hard to navigate around all the show-offs who need to slam the the new QB at every opportunity, and I like what I'm hearing so far about JP...

But... It's also very hard to predict anything until I see Buffalo actually win a football game with the new QB.

It's hard to navigate around all the show-offs who need to slam the the new QB at every opportunity, and I like what I'm hearing so far about JP...

But...  It's also very hard to predict anything until I see Buffalo actually win a football game with the new QB.

322175[/snapback]

I don't see this post as "slamming" the new QB ....... IMHO, it sounds like a pretty fair expectation for a first year QB.

2. DBs.

321605[/snapback]

DB...hes gone :angry: thats reason enough to be optimistic...

an optimistic post?

OMG! Shouldn't this have self-destructed by now?

Here's what I think, FWIW, AIAWM:

the trend in the league is shorter, quicker WRs with long speed. See Deion Branch, Lee Evans, and now Roscoe Parrish. With the illegal contact, it's the quick, slippery ones that are getting open better.

The Jags' Reggie Williams is huge but he couldnt' get open for schitt. I guarantee you he will be the least productive WR taken in that round.

the trend in the league is also to shorter, quicker, faster DBs with one critical skill: Change of direction. If their hips don't swivel and if they can't sink 'em, they won't swim in the NFL.

I really like the two young, smart, motivated guards we have.

One concern I have and it may not be popular is McGahee. I worry that he was out to prove something last year and having done that he may be a little cocky and over-confident ending up with a serious sophomore slump or worse an injury. He won't have Henry pushing him this year. Just a thought. :angry: