Pay cut: Google employees who work from home could lose money

11 minutes ago, \GoBillsInDallas/ said:

They hate women.  

And beta males.  

Sad.  The equal pay lawsuits will be extremely entertaining.  Maybe they should spend their billions campaigning for politicians that will help lower taxes and cost of living in that 3rd world hell hole.

Edited by Big Blitz

Short sighted move, but at the same time a pay cut at google is like taking a bucket of water out of a swimming pool. 

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

They hate women.  

And beta males.  

Sad.  The equal pay lawsuits will be extremely entertaining.  Maybe they should spend their billions campaigning for politicians that will help lower taxes and cost of living in that 3rd world hell hole.

Tell me more about this beta male thing? It sounds intriguing. 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood

1 hour ago, Big Blitz said:

They hate women.  

And beta males.  

Lots of companies scale their pay based on location. Hell, the federal government does it.

Working from home (WFH) censoring and deactivating the accounts of posters disagreeing with the views of management and tuning search engine algorithms to prioritize politically and socially correct "information" and block those articles and opinions deemed "mis-information" while coordinating company efforts with agencies like the NSA and the CIA seems like a great part-time job for a retired person or a stay at home parent.

Edited by All_Pro_Bills

12 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Lots of companies scale their pay based on location. Hell, the federal government does it.

What a load of crap.  You pay should be based on the expertise you have, the amount of work you do and the value you bring to the company.  Where you do if from should have ZERO influence on your pay.  

3 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

What a load of crap.  You pay should be based on the expertise you have, the amount of work you do and the value you bring to the company.  Where you do if from should have ZERO influence on your pay.  

I mean I won't disagree but the "equal pay lawsuits" bit is laughable.

23 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

I didn't see that.  But I'm not sure what Big Blitz is talking about.  

If you are doing the exact same thing at home as a co worker in the office and you are getting paid less ---- especially if you are female or minority at home, and it's a white male *very unlikely anyway* in the office, how does that not scream lawsuit over equal pay?   

1 minute ago, Big Blitz said:

If you are doing the exact same thing at home as a co worker in the office and you are getting paid less ---- especially if you are female or minority at home, and it's a white male *very unlikely anyway* in the office, how does that not scream lawsuit over equal pay?   

Ok.  Then why is it laughable @LeviF ?  I think it's spot on.  

And BTW working from home you become a less of a liability to the firm from an OSHA/Worker's Comp standpoint. 

Edited by Chef Jim

2 minutes ago, Chef Jim said:

Ok.  Then why is it laughable @LeviF ?  I think it's spot on.  

And BTW working from home you become a less of a liability to the firm from an OSHA/Worker's Comp standpoint. 

The feds are the ones I know most about so I'll use that as a reference.

A fed working for the Miami office but approved to work remotely from their home in Orlando will not receive the locality pay for the Miami region.

Of course locality pay is factored into their contracts.  I can't imagine google and other big tech companies won't CTAs the same way.

1 minute ago, LeviF said:

The feds are the ones I know most about so I'll use that as a reference.

A fed working for the Miami office but approved to work remotely from their home in Orlando will not receive the locality pay for the Miami region.

Of course locality pay is factored into their contracts.  I can't imagine google and other big tech companies won't CTAs the same way.

What is the basis for "locality pay"?

4 minutes ago, LeviF said:

As in, how do they calculate it or how did they decide it was a good idea?  

The reasoning as to why it's fair.  I can see if you have no choice in where you work.  They are telling you where to work which will dictate your cost of living.  This is not what Google and others doing. They are not forcing people to work in a more expensive area.  That's really what the Feds are doing.  We'll pay you a base of X to do your work.  If we ship you off to SF we will pay you more because the cost of living is more.  

7 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

You knew this was coming. Why pay people to live in Silicon Valley when they can zoom from Cedar Rapids? Google is fantastic! 😉

I live in the hills of Montana but because there is nothing to do there you have to pay me more to support my coke and expensive booze habit. 

Just now, Chef Jim said:

The reasoning as to why it's fair.  I can see if you have no choice in where you work.  They are telling you where to work which will dictate your cost of living.  This is not what Google and others doing. They are not forcing people to work in a more expensive area.  That's really what the Feds are doing.  We'll pay you a base of X to do your work.  If we ship you off to SF we will pay you more because the cost of living is more.  

Yeah from what I understand a lot of fed employees sign a mobility agreement basically saying the G can require you to move if you want to keep your job.

Again, I'm not saying it's fair but to say it's unlawful is a stretch.

2 minutes ago, LeviF said:

Yeah from what I understand a lot of fed employees sign a mobility agreement basically saying the G can require you to move if you want to keep your job.

Again, I'm not saying it's fair but to say it's unlawful is a stretch.

I have a good HS friend who has been in the US business promotions sector with the US Embassy.  She has 2-4 year stints.  Here's where she's been:

Warsaw

Monaco

Saudi Arabia (she hated that)

Mumbai

and finally starting next month.....

LONDON!  I'm so happy for her to finally get out of some shitholes the past several years.

She also has forced retirement at 65.  How come someone like her is forced to retire at 65 but those in power that make decisions daily that affect us all can work forever?