Throwback Saturday -our 1st Super Bowl season.

Nearing the beginning of our much anticipated ‘21 season, here’s a look back at a time when we were previously ascending. We had been in the playoff the previous seasons, falling just short of ‘the Big Game’! Will 2021 follow the 1990 path? 

Heres to Hope!🥂🍻🍸🍹

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

• Chandler#81 changed the title to Throwback Saturday -our 1st Super Bowl season.

One of the things that really helped the K-Gun take off was the threat that former Raider James Lofton brought to the table, perfectly complementing Andre and giving defenses fits with the number of options that had to be accounted for…similarly I think Emmanuel Sanders will provide a complementary piece to Diggs that could be even better than Lofton—here’s hoping anyway! 

• Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

It's funny. We've had some very good defenses over the years but have only seriously challenged when our offense is high-octane. Speaking, of course, of the modern era.

Edited by Beast

2 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

One of the things that really helped the K-Gun take off was the threat that former Raider James Lofton brought to the table, perfectly complementing Andre and giving defenses fits with the number of options that had to be accounted for…similarly I think Emmanuel Sanders will provide a complementary piece to Diggs that could be even better than Lofton—here’s hoping anyway! 

The addition of James and the ascendancy of Thurman Thomas suddenly became too much for any Defense of the day to corral. Even in our 1 point loss in SBXXV, we scored at a rate of a point a minute. Problem was, we only had the ball for 19 minutes..🤦‍♂️

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

The addition of James and the ascendancy of Thurman Thomas suddenly became too much for any Defense of the day to corral. Even in our 1 point loss in SBXXV, we scored at a rate of a point a minute. Problem was, we only had the ball for 19 minutes..🤦‍♂️

And of course we’d just beaten the Giants that same season in the Meadowlands towards the end of the season, a few weeks before that fateful SB…check out the condensed game, the Bills had to hold at the end for a close victory, just like the Giants had one last drive to try to win and came up just short, except this was turnover on downs instead of kick…

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I've never thought of James lofton as  a former raider 

He played like a decade with Green Bay and only 2 in Oakland

But I guess technically he's a former raider

• Like (+1) 1

Was at the regular season game in NYC as was down there on business.  Forgot that Jim Kelly was hurt that game too.   The Phil Simms injury in this game is why Hosteleter played in playoffs. 

It was tough sledding for the Bills on the ground. Giants ran the ball 42 times and had ball for 38 minutes versus Bills 22 minutes.  No turnovers by either team but LT dropped a couple INTs and one was a pick 6.  

Thurman was stifled running but had a long catch on a screen.  Might have been the most physical game I ever saw in person.  

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I think you mean Packers for Lofton, but agree with you’re point on Sanders.  When Chandler placed

ascending, it reminded me of 1988, not 1990.  I say that as we made it to the Championship game.  Unfortunately, we backslid in the bickering Bills year, 1989,

but galvanized the team in 1990.

Lofton was definitely the missing piece for that team.

15 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

I think you mean Packers for Lofton, but agree with you’re point on Sanders

Lofton had already left Packers after 1986 season.  He spent 87 and 88 with the Raiders before coming to BUF in 1989.

Edited by freddyjj

The best Sunday of my life pry was watching the Bills destroy the Raiders and then the Giants upsetting the 49ers without scoring a touchdown.  It's between that and my second daughter being born.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1