Excitement Last Season

MrLocke

I know the team made the playoffs twice during Wade Philips, however I always thought there was something lacking during his tenure as coach. I never found the teams under Wade's watch to be extremely exciting to watch. This was probably because we lacked a great offense and as good as the defense was did not create a high number of turnovers. In any event that streach from the first Miami game to the let down at home against the Steelers was the most excited I had been about the Bills since the Super Bowl years. I think this was in large part because we dismantled so many teams like St. Louis, Seattle, San Fransisco and Cleveland. We put up high numbers on the score board and created many turnovers. In any event do other's agree with this assesment or did you find the Wade Philips era to be more excitng. I am not even going to get in to the Gregg Williams era.

It wasn't Wade or even the team's fault.  People were just so spoiled from going to 4 straight superbowls.  Put one of those teams out on the field now, and we'd go nuts. We'd appreciate them more.

320483[/snapback]

This is quite the point and this thought had never occured to me.

Simply put: the offense didn't excite like it did a few years before. The defense carried us during Wade's tenure here despite what some militant ignorants might claim about the person under center holding us back.

Simply put:  the offense didn't excite like it did a few years before.  The defense carried us during Wade's tenure here despite what some militant ignorants might claim about the person under center holding us back.

320518[/snapback]

Well said. Being where I am everyone is a Flutie fanatic and I cannot stand this. I like you do not want to start a controversey, though.

I always remember the news every year during the super bowl run with how the sportscast was run. Project Pasedena. Mission Minneapolis. It was always such a lock. Can't remember what else they used for Atlanta. I ended up going to those games and used to goof with "I always tell them see you next year and the cowboys actually showed up again"

Love or hate Doug Flutie, he made the 98 season the most exciting since the Super Bowl era. That was the first time i've ever seen a high school style offense work in the NFL.

320563[/snapback]

Hate to agree, after having read all the stuff about Flutie, but yeah. If not for the refs giving one last Dan Marino Sympathy F--- in Habana Norte, they might have gone to the Show.

Hate to agree, after having read all the stuff about Flutie, but yeah. If not for the refs giving one last Dan Marino Sympathy F--- in Habana Norte, they might have gone to the Show.

320660[/snapback]

I barely remember what happened that game... If anyone can refresh me what happened after Reed got thrown out i would be interested. I remember we were inside the 5 or 10... Dre bumped the ref as he was standing up, got tossed, and we got penalized 15 yards. How much were we down, how much time was left on the clock, etc.?

Thanks

I barely remember what happened that game... If anyone can refresh me what happened after Reed got thrown out i would be interested.  I remember we were inside the 5 or 10... Dre bumped the ref as he was standing up, got tossed, and we got penalized 15 yards.  How much were we down, how much time was left on the clock, etc.?

Thanks

320701[/snapback]

This may not be entirely accurate as it is from memory only.

First, I do not believe Reed got kicked, only a 15 yd unsportsmanlike penalty.

Reed thought he had scored, but was ruled down on the one. Bills down 10 at that point would have made it a 3 point game. My best guess is it was just inside the 2.00 minute warning when it happened. As it was, Bills only score 3, stiill down seven.

Bills recover onside kick and drive to the Miami 3 or 4, looking for sure like they are going to force the overtime. Flutie play actions,(I think), turning his back to LOS, and gets blindsided and lost the fumble.

I think for most of old timers, that game doesn't bother us near as much as the "just give it to em" in NE that year. We win that game, and the Felons come to Rich instaed of us going there.

I barely remember what happened that game... If anyone can refresh me what happened after Reed got thrown out i would be interested.  I remember we were inside the 5 or 10... Dre bumped the ref as he was standing up, got tossed, and we got penalized 15 yards.  How much were we down, how much time was left on the clock, etc.?

320701[/snapback]

It was just inside of the final two minutes. Reed had a TD and the EP would have made it 24-21. Don't remember if the refs were calling him down at the 1/2-inch yard line or if he accidentally bumped the ref and they called it back in enforcing the penalty. And yes, he was ejected for it.

It was just inside of the final two minutes. Reed had a TD and the EP would have made it 24-20. Don't remember if the refs were calling him down at the 1/2-inch yard line or if he accidentally bumped the ref and they called it back in enforcing the penalty.

The articles I found on Google don't mention it clearly, almost like it never happened.  :lol:

320723[/snapback]

The one thing I am sure of is that the TD would have made it a three point game.

Also, IMHO, Reed was short of the goalline, and he did bump the ref arguing, not on purpose, but he still bumped him while he was arguing. I remember that pretty well as I was screaming at the TV for him to just get back to the huddle as time was a wasting, and to me at least pretty obvios he did't get in

The one thing I am sure of is that the TD would have made it a three point game.

Also, IMHO, Reed was short of the goalline, and he did bump the ref arguing, not on purpose, but he still bumped him while he was arguing. I remember that pretty well as I was screaming at the TV for him to just get back to the huddle as time was a wasting, and to me at least pretty obvios he did't get in

320727[/snapback]

Yep. Edited re: score. (I wasn't a math major :lol:).

ESPN:

The Bills thought they had a touchdown on the drive when Andre Reed caught a nine-yard pass over the middle and appeared to reach over the goal line with the ball. But he was ruled down at the 1. Incensed, Reed bumped an official and was penalized 14 yards for unsportsmanlike conduct. Although it appeared the bump was inadvertent, Reed was ejected by referee Mike Carey.

"I don't know what to say," said Reed. "I was just getting up. I didn't even know that an official was there. I got up and the guy was right there."

I had to take a hot shower after that game. The Fins had 15 guys on the field the whole day.

It wasn't Wade or even the team's fault.  People were just so spoiled from going to 4 straight superbowls.  Put one of those teams out on the field now, and we'd go nuts. We'd appreciate them more.

320483[/snapback]

I thought the Wade Phillips teams were as exciting as ever....Every time

Flutie stepped on the field, he made things happen. Even both the playoff

games were exciting and came down to the last play. Unfortunately we

were at the receiving end on both those plays.

those teams played some serious nailbiting, exciting games. "Just Give it to them", "The flutie Sack Game", "Homerun throwup" were all tremendous football games, among the best I've ever seen, despite the outcome.

If anything THIS Bills team, up until last year, was BOOOOOOORING.