Dear Mister Grassley

Dear Senator Charles E. Grassley (R-IA),

Recently you said, "Those of you that are bad-mouthing every other suggestion out there, suggest your own plans…" in regards to the outlash against President Bush's social security plans. I would like to remind you that you are a legislator, elected to congress by the people, and that you are holding that position in order to create legislation for the good of the nation. It is not as if those are your plans, so if you don't like the outlash against them, I will make a suggestion to you: "Do your job and suggest your own plans."

Sincerely,

BlueFire

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Recently you said, "Those of you that are bad-mouthing every other suggestion out there, suggest your own plans…" in regards to the outlash against President Bush's social security plans.  I would like to remind you that you are a legislator, elected to congress by the people, and that you are holding that position in order to create legislation for the good of the nation.  It is not as if those are your plans, so if you don't like the outlash against them, I will make a suggestion to you:  "Do your job and suggest your own plans."

Sincerely,

BlueFire

320321[/snapback]

Can we CC other Congresscritters on this memo, too? The one (the only, really) thing I like about Bush's plan is that it's at least an attempt at addressing the Social Security issue. I would love to see any alternative (other than "There is no problem with Social Security") come from the opposition.

Can we CC other Congresscritters on this memo, too?  The one (the only, really) thing I like about Bush's plan is that it's at least an attempt at addressing the Social Security issue.  I would love to see any alternative (other than "There is no problem with Social Security") come from the opposition.

320327[/snapback]

Haha, agreed on both counts.

Recently you said, "Those of you that are bad-mouthing every other suggestion out there, suggest your own plans…" in regards to the outlash against President Bush's social security plans.  I would like to remind you that you are a legislator, elected to congress by the people, and that you are holding that position in order to create legislation for the good of the nation.  It is not as if those are your plans, so if you don't like the outlash against them, I will make a suggestion to you:  "Do your job and suggest your own plans."

Sincerely,

BlueFire

320321[/snapback]

Since these comments were made to other Senators in a Congressional hearing room in the Capitol, I think he already understands his job.

Since these comments were made to other Senators in a Congressional hearing room in the Capitol, I think he already understands his job.

320362[/snapback]

Interesting. So the fact he made the comment to other Senators in a Congressional hearing room in the Capitol makes it okay for him to issue this without having his own plans?

Interesting.  So the fact he made the comment to other Senators in a Congressional hearing room in the Capitol makes it okay for him to issue this without having his own plans?

320381[/snapback]

What in the world are you talking about? He was responding to the Democrats' grandstanding on Bush's SS plan, without coming up with a counter proposal of their own.

It appears that he's using better restraint than Cheney would in face of such obsene legislative ignorance of real issues. Perhaps you should do a serach of the Meet the Press transcript of Rahm Emanuel's visit with Russert.

Sounds like 3 months later, there's still nothing from Dems to address this issue. And you're nailing Grassley for having the nerve to suggest to Dems to finally get off the shi&&er and propose a plan?

And you're nailing Grassley for having the nerve to suggest to Dems to finally get off the shi&&er and propose a plan?

320420[/snapback]

In fairness to the Dems, it's not exactly like the GOP has anything resembling a plan. In fact, the GOP is pretty-much cannibalizing themselves over it.

Some congressional Republicans who have been trying to craft a Social Security reform package say their efforts have been undercut by an unlikely source: conservatives whose top priority is to restructure the program.

As President Bush has struggled to gain traction on Social Security reform, Republicans have repeatedly criticized Democrats for refusing to negotiate on changing the entitlement system.

But some say that Bush should look to his right for scapegoats if Congress does not pass a Social Security bill this year. They blame conservatives for drawing several lines in the sand and refusing to consider compromises.

Conservatives have been outspoken on what should — and should not — be in a Social Security reform measure. Outside groups that are a driving force in the GOP have attacked Republicans for suggesting that raising taxes could be part of reform legislation.

http://www.thehill.com/thehill/export/TheH...042605/gop.html

How about if we did away with Congressional pensions and their own cushy private social security system and put them on the same Social Security plan as the rest of us? Might light a fire under their butts. And while we're at it, make those things as well as Congr. pay raises a national ballot issue rather than letting the foxes in the henhouse to do as they please?

At the end of the day, Bush's Social Security initiative and failure will be his very own National Health Care. I'm not taking glee in this. SS is the biggest Ponzi scheme in the history of the world. He saw a problem and tried to fix it. The problem is, no answer exists that a majority of the country will accept. It's just something he must've slept through in POLS: You don't touch the third rail.

How about if we did away with Congressional pensions and their own cushy private social security system and put them on the same Social Security plan as the rest of us? Might light a fire under their butts. And while we're at it, make those things as well as Congr. pay raises a national ballot issue rather than letting the foxes in the henhouse to do as they please?

At the end of the day, Bush's Social Security initiative and failure will be his very own National Health Care. I'm not taking glee in this. SS is the biggest Ponzi scheme in the history of the world. He saw a problem and tried to fix it. The problem is, no answer exists that a majority of the country will accept. It's just something he must've slept through in POLS: You don't touch the third rail.

320645[/snapback]

They were smart and tied their pay raises into the raises for other federal employees. That way, they can use a guilt trip to get it through ("You are against fedral employees getting a cost of living increase in their pay?").

As far as SS, I am wondering if no solution exists? The problem you have now is the people who oppose anything for the sake of opposing it. You have congressional representatives and PAC's out there specifically lying to people to get them to oppose Bush's "plan." Of course, if Bush actually proposed a plan, then you could start working out a compromise, but since that has not happened yet it is making it a little tough.

The Democrats have said that they will not allow any type of private account. "How can you let Wall Street control the fate of your retirement?" The problem with this argument is that they must then oppose 401K plans, all forms of IRA's, etc which puts your money in private accounts. I did not see them rushing to oppose any of this when it was proposed. The other problem they have with this argument is that the federal government does not have a very good track record in efficiently managing money.

Yes, SS is a third rail issue, but something needs to be done. If the Democrats do not like what the President is proposing, supply an alternative. It is impossible to work out a compromise when one side refuses to put their cards on the table.

Or, my favorite new Democrat thing:  "There is nothing wrong with Social Security.  It's fine.  We don't need to do anything."

Idiots.

320904[/snapback]

If there was an idiot hunting season, I could fill my quota in about 10.5 seconds by travelling to Washington DC.

Aren't we still waiting for the 'Bush plan' to be introduced in congress?

321385[/snapback]

Yup, which is why it amazes me that PACs and representatives can speak with such specifics when bashing the plan that does not yet exist.

Yup, which is why it amazes me that PACs and representatives can speak with such specifics when bashing the plan that does not yet exist.

321395[/snapback]

Not to mention other representatives defending the plan.

Not to mention other representatives defending the plan.

322184[/snapback]

Exactly. See the plan before commenting on the plan.

It is one thing to comment on the idea of private accounts, but scaring the old people into thinking that Bush is going to break into your house and steal everything you own is just stupid until you see his plan. Then comment according to the details of the plan.

It is one thing to comment on the idea of private accounts, but scaring the old people into thinking that Bush is going to break into your house and steal everything you own is just stupid until you see his plan. Then comment according to the details of the plan.

322196[/snapback]

But remember, the Republicans are the party of fear mongering. :P

Let's all wonder why the term "lemmings" is tossed around so frequently.

322196[/snapback]

I agree. It is one thing to comment on the idea of private accounts, but making it seem to younger people that Bush is going to create a system that will allow them all to retire when they are 50 is just stupid until you see his plan.

I agree.  It is one thing to comment on the idea of private accounts, but making it seem to younger people that Bush is going to create a system that will allow them all to retire when they are 50 is just stupid until you see his plan.

322265[/snapback]

And I'd like to see evidence of the backers of Bush's plan making it seem that younger workers can retire at 50 under Bush's plan. From what I've seen, the rhetoric is to take the retirement investment decisions from the government.

I haven't seen anything that parallels tearing down a house because the sink is clogged.

I agree.  It is one thing to comment on the idea of private accounts, but making it seem to younger people that Bush is going to create a system that will allow them all to retire when they are 50 is just stupid until you see his plan.

322265[/snapback]

I do not remember seeing that or hearing it implied anywhere. The point I have been seeing is that the private accounts will take your money out of the hands of the politicians and put it in your control. It is basically creating another IRA type thingy where you have control of how it is invested.

I do not remember seeing that or hearing it implied anywhere. The point I have been seeing is that the private accounts will take your money out of the hands of the politicians and put it in your control. It is basically creating another IRA type thingy where you have control of how it is invested.

322363[/snapback]

Which, of course, will never work. The government is MUCH better at investing than the populous. :P