Riddle me this, bashers...

I amassed a list of the last few coaches of every team to show how there isn't a single GM in the league that has chosen two consecutive good coaches, and there isn't really even a team in the league that has done it with the possible exception of the Steelers with Noll and Cowher, although a lot of people hate Cowher and even more knew that Noll had lost it long before they replaced him. Here is an updated list:

RAVENS

Billick

Marchibroda

BILLS

Mularkey

Gregg Williams

Wade Phillips

BENGALS

Marvin Lewis

Dick LeBeau

Bruce Coslet

BROWNS

Butch Davis

Chris Palmer

Bill Belichick

BRONCOS

Shanahan

Wade Phillips

Dan Reeves

HOUSTON

Dom Capers

COLTS

Tony Dungy

Lindy Infante

Jim Mora

JAGUARS

Jack Del Rio

Tom Coughlin

CHIEFS

Dick Vermeil

Gunther Cunningham

Marty Schottenheimer

DOLPHINS

Dave Wannstedt

Jimmy Johnson

Don Shula

PATRIOTS

Bill Bellichick

Pete Carroll

Bill Parcells

JETS

Herman Edwards

Al Groh

Bill Parcells

Rich Kotite

RAIDERS

Norv Turner

Bill Callahan

Jon Gruden

STEELERS

Bill Cowher

Chuck Noll

(two good ones but not same GM and the last one that did was you know who)

CHARGERS

Marty Schottenheimer

Mike Riley

Kevin Gilbride

TITANS

Jeff Fisher

Jack Pardee

Jerry Glanville

(this is arguable too as Fisher and Pardee were both pretty good but neither won anything and Mike Holovak hired Pardee while Floyd Reese hired Fisher))

CARDS

Denny Green

Dave McGinnis

Vince Tobin

Buddy Ryan

FALCONS

Jim Mora, Jr.

Dan Reeves

June Jones

PANTHERS

John Fox

George Seifert

Dom Capers

BEARS

Lovie Smith

Dick Jauron

Dave Wannstedt

COWBOYS

Bill Parcells

Dave Campo

Chan Gailey

Barry Switzer

LIONS

Steve Mariucci

Mike Mornhinweg

Bobby Ross

PACKERS

Mike Sherman

Ray Rhodes

Mike Holmgren

Lindy Infante

VIKINGS

Mike Tice

Denny Green

Joe Burns

SAINTS

Jim Haslett

Jim Mora

Mike Ditka

GIANTS

Tom Coughlin

Jim Fassell

Dan Reeves

Ray Handley

EAGLES

Andy Reid

Ray Rhodes

Rich Kotite

49ers

Dennis Erickson

Steve Marriucci

George Seifert

SEAHAGS

Mike Holmgren

Dennis Erickson

Tom Flores

RAMS

Mike Martz

Dick Vermeil

Rich Brooks

BUCS

Jon Gruden

Tony Dungy

Sam Wyche

REDSKINS

Joe Gibbs

Marty Schottenheimer

Steve Spurrier

Norv Turner

I amassed a list of the last few coaches of every team to show how there isn't a single GM in the league that has chosen two consecutive good coaches, and there isn't really even a team in the league that has done it with the possible exception of the Steelers with Noll and Cowher, although a lot of people hate Cowher and even more knew that Noll had lost it long before they replaced him. Here is an updated list:

RAVENS

Billick

Marchibroda

BILLS

Mularkey

Gregg Williams

Wade Phillips

BENGALS

Marvin Lewis

Dick LeBeau

Bruce Coslet

BROWNS

Butch Davis

Chris Palmer

Bill Belichick

BRONCOS

Shanahan

Wade Phillips

Dan Reeves

HOUSTON

Dom Capers

COLTS

Tony Dungy

Lindy Infante

Jim Mora

JAGUARS

Jack Del Rio

Tom Coughlin

CHIEFS

Dick Vermeil

Gunther Cunningham

Marty Schottenheimer

DOLPHINS

Dave Wannstedt

Jimmy Johnson

Don Shula

PATRIOTS

Bill Bellichick

Pete Carroll

Bill Parcells

JETS

Herman Edwards

Al Groh

Bill Parcells

Rich Kotite

RAIDERS

Norv Turner

Bill Callahan

Jon Gruden

STEELERS

Bill Cowher

Chuck Noll

(two good ones but not same GM and the last one that did was you know who)

CHARGERS

Marty Schottenheimer

Mike Riley

Kevin Gilbride

TITANS

Jeff Fisher

Jack Pardee

Jerry Glanville

(this is arguable too as Fisher and Pardee were both pretty good but neither won anything and Mike Holovak hired Pardee while Floyd Reese hired Fisher))

CARDS

Denny Green

Dave McGinnis

Vince Tobin

Buddy Ryan

FALCONS

Jim Mora, Jr.

Dan Reeves

June Jones

PANTHERS

John Fox

George Seifert

Dom Capers

BEARS

Lovie Smith

Dick Jauron

Dave Wannstedt

COWBOYS

Bill Parcells

Dave Campo

Chan Gailey

Barry Switzer

LIONS

Steve Mariucci

Mike Mornhinweg

Bobby Ross

PACKERS

Mike Sherman

Ray Rhodes

Mike Holmgren

Lindy Infante

VIKINGS

Mike Tice

Denny Green

Joe Burns

SAINTS

Jim Haslett

Jim Mora

Mike Ditka

GIANTS

Tom Coughlin

Jim Fassell

Dan Reeves

Ray Handley

EAGLES

Andy Reid

Ray Rhodes

Rich Kotite

49ers

Dennis Erickson

Steve Marriucci

George Seifert

SEAHAGS

Mike Holmgren

Dennis Erickson

Tom Flores

RAMS

Mike Martz

Dick Vermeil

Rich Brooks

BUCS

Jon Gruden

Tony Dungy

Sam Wyche

REDSKINS

Joe Gibbs

Marty Schottenheimer

Steve Spurrier

Norv Turner

320104[/snapback]

no offense dog, but i don't know of anyone the board who thinks mularkey was a bad hire. i for one think he's great - positive but easygoing attitude with the media, no boasting, realistic, flexible. it was a good move by donohoe, who in retrospect overanalyzed when picking williams. with mularkey, he seems to have gone with his gut. smart move.

no offense dog, but i don't know of anyone the board who thinks mularkey was a bad hire. i for one think he's great - positive but easygoing attitude with the media, no boasting, realistic, flexible.  it was a good move by donohoe, who in retrospect overanalyzed when picking williams. with mularkey, he seems to have gone with his gut. smart move.

320179[/snapback]

Sorry, perhaps you missed the point, and I certainly didn't explain what I meant. I like the Mularkey hire a lot. It seems obvious that the Gregg Williams hire was a mistake. The point of the list is only to say that GMs around the league have a difficult time choosing coaches, and no GM in the entire league has made two consecutive good picks. It is not a talent that good GMs have and bad or mediocre GMs don't. And just because TD did make a mistake on his first, and needs to be held accountable, it is not unusual for even the very best GMs to make glaring errors in choosing head coaches.

Sorry, perhaps you missed the point, and I certainly didn't explain what I meant. I like the Mularkey hire a lot. It seems obvious that the Gregg Williams hire was a mistake. The point of the list is only to say that GMs around the league have a difficult time choosing coaches, and no GM in the entire league has made two consecutive good picks. It is not a talent that good GMs have and bad or mediocre GMs don't. And just because TD did make a mistake on his first, and needs to be held accountable, it is not unusual for even the very best GMs to make glaring errors in choosing head coaches.

320222[/snapback]

I think part of the reason there's few GMs who make two good hires is because A. They are gone after the first bad hire. B. They redeem themselves with a good second hire after screwing up the first time ... ex. Mularkey.

No wonder the Bears have stunk for so long, hiring a Lovie, a Dick and a Dave!

the jury is still out on Jags (unless Coughin was considered GM). I think TC was successful there and JDR looks promising. Also, Walsh/Seifert were a good tandem.

Of course there is an inherent bias in this analysis in that highly successful coaches are only replaced via retirement as opposed to being fired.

I think part of the reason there's few GMs who make two good hires is because A. They are gone after the first bad hire. B. They redeem themselves with a good second hire after screwing up the first time ... ex. Mularkey.

No wonder the Bears have stunk for so long, hiring a Lovie, a Dick and a Dave!

320224[/snapback]

Yeah, and there is subtle mathematics going on here. A good hire has a much longer tenure than a bad hire. This skews the statistics, so on average most GM hires are 'bad.' No GM, for example, is likely to have two good hires, let alone three.

On another note, IMO some of the hires listed were good but the team struggled for other reasons (like ownership) and the coaches reps took the blame: Shottenheimer / Spurrier for example.

the jury is still out on Jags (unless Coughin was considered GM).  I think TC was successful there and JDR looks promising.  Also, Walsh/Seifert were a good tandem.

Of course there is an inherent bias in this analysis in that highly successful coaches are only replaced via retirement as opposed to being fired.

320240[/snapback]

Where was the highly successful coach who retired followed by a good choice for his successor? You're right about Walsh and Seifert though, although I believe Walsh handpicked his successor rather than the same GM making two good consecutive picks.

Del Rio still could be good, you're right, although after that stinker the team pulled at the end of the season at home that allowed the Bills to even have a chance at the playoffs doesn't bode well for his big game abilities.

That kind of supports my theory though.

320281[/snapback]

With the steelers that is 6 teams that have really gone from one good coach to the next. What is your point? I see the Bills have gone from one poor coach to another and yet again to another. I think Wade was the best of our coaches after Levy. In fact if he wasn't stubborn, I think Wade would have our best option still.

With the steelers that is 6 teams that have really gone from one good coach to the next.  What is your point?  I see the Bills have gone from one poor coach to another and yet again to another.  I think Wade was the best of our coaches after Levy.  In fact if he wasn't stubborn, I think Wade would have our best option still.

320284[/snapback]

What? The Steelers, MAYBE the Titans (although again they never won it) and the 49ers have had two in a row, and no GM has chosen two in a row. Where are these six teams? The coaches may have been good on other teams but they didnt perform for the team they were hired for. the point is that it's difficult to pick a good coach and no GM had chosen two in a row. In other words, hit or miss.

What? The Steelers, MAYBE the Titans (although again they never won it) and the 49ers have had two in a row, and no GM has chosen two in a row. Where are these six teams? The coaches may have been good on other teams but they didnt perform for the team they were hired for. the point is that it's difficult to pick a good coach and no GM had chosen two in a row. In other words, hit or miss.

320290[/snapback]

I repeat:

Broncos, and Pats had 2 out there their last three turn out damn well. Same could be said of the Rams and Bucs. Hell Indy has even had some good but not great ones all the way through.

Plus steelers and you say titans (I don't) but that makes 7 then. I just think certain GM's and owners are better at it then others. Polian is one.

Thats why mcnally was hired :lol:

Also, shula and Johnson wasnt a bad duo either

Oh, and what man ISNT a boob man?

320203[/snapback]

The greatest concern going into the interview process was that Richard Speck was the favorite, but apparently that morning Greg chose a plunging neckline and REALLY gained the bosses attention!

Where was the highly successful coach who retired followed by a good choice for his successor? You're right about Walsh and Seifert though, although I believe Walsh handpicked his successor rather than the same GM making two good consecutive picks.

320273[/snapback]

Walsh was coach and GM during his tenure with the Niners. Debartolo gave him both duties when he (walsh) left Stanford for the NFL.

I repeat:

Broncos, and Pats had 2 out there their last three turn out damn well. Same could be said of the Rams and Bucs. Hell Indy has even had some good but not great ones all the way through.

Plus steelers and you say titans (I don't) but that makes 7 then.  I just think certain GM's and owners are better at it then others.  Polian is one.

320299[/snapback]

I repeat. No one can pick two in a row. Hit-miss-hit-miss. If you're calling coaches with .500 records on the team they coached and fired after two seasons "good" like Wade Phillips, or Chuck Knox who was 15-33 in his three year stint with the Rams, or Jim Mora (32-32) Lindy Infante (12-20) and Ted Marchibroda (21-27), I am really not sure why I am in this discussion.