Jim Leonhard

JDG

Yet another reason for me to be a Bills fan. [Me: the first being Lee Evans, the second being Troy Vincent] The Bills are inviting to camp my favorite Badger of all time. This is the perfect kid you want on your training camp roster. Part Rudy-Part Rocky. Jim Leonhard stands at around 5'6'- 5'7' and came from Tony, Wisconsin with a population under 200. He walked on to the Badger football team with absolutely no hope. However, he pocesses the most deceptive athletism and more heart than any player I have ever seen put on a Badger Uniform. He made the starting lineup as a sophmore and opposing teams tried to pick on his small size...their plan backfired and he led NCAA in interceptions as a sophmore and was in the top 3 in interceptions again as a junior. He played in the bowl game with two broken hands (one of them was not discovered until later and hit just as hard as ever) His senior year teams avoided throwing toward him. He was a second team all-american. Now, I don't know if he will be able to contribute at the NFL level, but he is a great kid and the kind of person who you want in camp. Players might think he is part of the training staff until you see him run and jump (btw: he also won the teams slam dunk contest in back to back years).

The PFW draft guide has one of the all-time greatest summaries I've ever seen on a player:

"If he were three inches taller and thirty pounds heavier he would be getting looks in the first round. Looks like Opie Taylor but plays like Gary Fencik. Teams downgrading him for his lack of size will miss out on a very good football player. Return skills should bring him off draft boards early on the second day."

Jim Leonhard, 5-9 185, SR, Wisconsin

He might be short in height, but he is not short on production and he can't be over-looked. In 2002 and 2003 Jimmy boy has came up with more interceptions than any other defensive back in the entire nation with 18. He is a special player and is one of the best return men in the nation, stocky, strong durable, everything you want in a football player except height. When I see him returning punts and kicks out there he reminds me so much of ex-Iowa WR Tim Dwight. He will probably slip a little in the draft but could wind up as a serious steal. Didn’t run at the combine due to injury.

Want to read a cool article about his punt return strategy? This guy is a technician!

Jim Leonhard - punt returner!!!

320202[/snapback]

ouch Nate:

Or that he chose to knock down a pass intended for Penn State wide receiver Gerald Smith on the Nittany Lions' final possession last Saturday instead of going for the interception. Leonhard easily could have gone for the pick on the play to pad his already-impressive career total. Instead, he chose to knock the ball down, his fourth pass break-up of the game.

"I could have had a chance at it," Leonhard said. "It was one of those things that based on the route, I felt I just had to get there for the hit. And then the throw was a little high and late, and I could have had a chance, but it was one of those things where I didn't feel comfortable going for the pick, so I'm going to make sure I've got the hit and the tackle."