Critical Race Theory

3 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

As I mentioned, local education is not funded the same in every locality, but the basic principle still applies. Not to get too into the weeds here but your push back on cameras is working directly against the very technology that will open the door to significantly increasing the pay scale for educators. 

You’re talking about monitoring teachers with cameras.  I don’t see how that affects pay scale.  At least not in NYS.  And, on top of that, I doubt that such monitoring is even permissible under many operative CBAs.  Around here the number of observations permitted of a tenured teacher is limited by contract.  Not sure how video monitoring would fit with those clauses. 

1 hour ago, SectionC3 said:

You’re talking about monitoring teachers with cameras.  I don’t see how that affects pay scale.  At least not in NYS.  And, on top of that, I doubt that such monitoring is even permissible under many operative CBAs.  Around here the number of observations permitted of a tenured teacher is limited by contract.  Not sure how video monitoring would fit with those clauses. 

You need to think bigger than that Section. The largest university in the world is the University of Phoenix (at least it used to be) and they have NO CLASSROOMS. There’s a significant change happening in education. There are massive costs to running a physical school. You’re too focused on Big Brother supervision…with all due and serious respect. 

1 hour ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

you couldn’t pay me enough to deal with other peoples kids that behave that way. 

And therein lies the rub; the quality of the students ( and their parents) largely determines the quality of the school . Teachers matter to a point but are we to believe all “good “ schools have all the best teachers ? There are probably a mix of great, good and bad. The students matter most, and while you may occasionally be able to polish a turd you probably can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear. 

• Agree 1

SUPERSTAR !

There are two competing philosophies right now:

• One says America is systemically racist and your skin color determines your outcomes.

• Another says America is a land of progress and you can chart your own future through your human agency.

Choose one—and choose wisely.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, B-Man said:

SUPERSTAR !

• One says America is systemically racist and your skin color determines your outcomes.

• Another says America is a land of progress and you can chart your own future through your human agency.

That was one of the most powerful two minutes and twenty seconds I think I have ever heard.  Bravo sir.  I would love him to run for office but I think if anyone approached him with that he'd likely tell them to go pound sand. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Boatdrinks said:

And therein lies the rub; the quality of the students ( and their parents) largely determines the quality of the school . Teachers matter to a point but are we to believe all “good “ schools have all the best teachers ? There are probably a mix of great, good and bad. The students matter most, and while you may occasionally be able to polish a turd you probably can’t make a silk purse from a sow’s ear. 

The quality of parenting in this country is splitting into two distinct camps and it feels like it is becoming more 50/50 when I think I was a kid it was 80/20. Some parents legitimately think it is a schools and societies job to raise their children, while I believe that school should educate them in topics I can't and I raise them. The better schools generally have the parents like me, and the lessor schools have the other. But as far as good teachers at bad schools not many exist anymore because they are not allowed to enforce rules, if the principal from "Stand by Me" tried to fix those schools he would be stopped by federal laws. Last point, I had a discussion with a black student who told me that they call the police 7-8 times a year when they have family disagreements, how do I teach life skills to a person who thinks calling the police is acceptable but then bashes police for being racist?

1 hour ago, Buffalo Timmy said:

The quality of parenting in this country is splitting into two distinct camps and it feels like it is becoming more 50/50 when I think I was a kid it was 80/20. Some parents legitimately think it is a schools and societies job to raise their children, while I believe that school should educate them in topics I can't and I raise them. The better schools generally have the parents like me, and the lessor schools have the other. But as far as good teachers at bad schools not many exist anymore because they are not allowed to enforce rules, if the principal from "Stand by Me" tried to fix those schools he would be stopped by federal laws. Last point, I had a discussion with a black student who told me that they call the police 7-8 times a year when they have family disagreements, how do I teach life skills to a person who thinks calling the police is acceptable but then bashes police for being racist?

When I was a kid it was 100/0. 

20 hours ago, B-Man said:

SUPERSTAR !

Great speech. Nailed it.  Two points especially.  Telling minority kids they are oppressed is a self fulfilling prophecy.    The other is what I've thought for a long time. The vast majority of people are not racists.  They don't care what your skin color is.  Its the government, the court system, and people and politicians making hay out of it that are.  

Of course there is racism in America, not saying there's not.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Agree 1