#@%$ the Pats, #@%$ Donald Trump: Once a Cheater, Always a Cheater

IN THE SPRING of 2008, the NFL was in crisis. A hard-charging United States senator from Pennsylvania named Arlen Specter had launched an investigation into the Spygate scandal. He tried to determine how many games the New England Patriots' illegal videotaping operation of opposing coaches' signals had helped the team win and learn why the NFL, under the orders of commissioner Roger Goodell, had destroyed all evidence of the cheating. By May, Specter -- a former Philadelphia district attorney and a lifelong Eagles fan -- was so angry at the "stonewalling" of his inquiry by the league and the Patriots that he called for an independent investigator, similar to the Mitchell investigation of steroid use in professional baseball. League executives and coaches might be forced to testify under oath. The prospect sent the league, and its new commissioner, into panic. "If it ever got to an investigation," Goodell said at one point, "it would be terrible for the league."

The NFL tried to combat the Specter inquiry with public statements from teams that were the primary victims of New England's spying saying the league had done its due diligence. It wasn't working.

But there was one man, a mutual friend of Specter and Patriots owner Robert Kraft, who believed that he could make the investigation go away. He was a famous businessman and reality television star who routinely threw money at politicians to try to curry favor, whether it worked or not. He had been a generous political patron of Specter's for two decades.

One day in early 2008, Specter had dinner with the man in Palm Beach at his palatial club, not far from Kraft's Florida home. A phone call followed. The friend offered Specter what the senator felt was tantamount to a bribe: "If you laid off the Patriots, there'd be a lot of money in Palm Beach."

Much more in the article

• Like (+1) 2

Did you guys know that Donald Trump once ran over @716ers puppy while driving 80mph down his street in a 24k gold Cadillac limo (that he ordered from gm but never paid for) while blaring AC/DC's thunderstruck and eating a big Mac which he half finished then beamed 716er in the head with? 

True story.

• Haha (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, Unforgiven said:

did trump like piss in your flutie flakes this am rofl

4 minutes ago, TSOL said:

Did you guys know that Donald Trump once ran over @716ers puppy while driving 80mph down his street in a 24k gold Cadillac limo (that he ordered from gm but never paid for) while blaring AC/DC's thunderstruck and eating a big Mac which he half finished then beamed 716er in the head with? 

True story.

These people are sane. No doubt about it. 

The story is flimsy but Bills fans rushing to defend a guy accused of helping shut down a Patriots cheating scandal is hilarious to me.  Politics have become more tribal than freaking football.

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

The story is flimsy but Bills fans rushing to defend a guy accused of helping shut down a Patriots cheating scandal is hilarious to me.  Politics have become more tribal than freaking football.

The story is indeed flimsy, which has been the MO of many stories along the way.  This literary documelodrama follows a format and slides such nuggets as Trump ominously contributing $11,300 to Specter campaigns over 30 years.  If an average of $376 per year is setting the stage for the big corruption story we better start investigating Geico shoppers. 

Personally, I’ve come to loathe this type of story.  Get to the point already. 

On Spygate specifically, nothing would surprise me but there’s a a story there about the other owners remaining silent and complicit.  Besides, that battle ended badly for the Buffalo faithful.  Some millionaires+ paid some scoots, we lost what seemed like 100 games in a row, the pats won 19 Super Bowls, and life pushed on. 

Finally, a Bills insider shared a story about Trump’s intervention in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.  Seemed reasonable enough to me, I choose to believe that story instead. 

May God Bless The Savior of the Buffalo Bills, Agent Provocateur of Russia and Briber of Dead Senators Donald Gregorovich Trump! 

42 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

Finally, a Bills insider shared a story about Trump’s intervention in keeping the Bills in Buffalo.  Seemed reasonable enough to me, I choose to believe that story instead.

Please share