Biden creates an economic crisis--Unemployment, Inflation, risk of STAGLFATION increasing

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

When I was in my 20s, trying to make a career with a field with poor economic prospects, I finally gave in and went to law school. It took time, but I got there. It took a plan, and it took ... patience. Counseling (1) having a plan; and (2) being patient is probably the best thing we can do for our kids.

And again, it really isn't that hard. I'll use some easily available numbers. I've worked for the federal government, and I knew many young couples where both had federal jobs. Let's say you're a GS-9 administrative assistant married to a GS-11 in a law-enforcement type job. In Buffalo now, you make a combined $130,000. As I said earlier, you can focus on saving for a fairly low downpayment and buy the perfectly nice, small starter home (by today's standards) that I grew up in for under $2000 per month.

And those jobs go begging for applicants! But they're you-gotta-be-there-in-person-40-hours-per-week jobs, and a lot of young people think that's for losers ...

See the same thing in young doctors.  Lifestyle and free time become more important than patients.  To be fair, it swung too far the other way in my prime.

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’ve had solar on my house for twenty years! I’m a Sustainability Certified Professional. What you got now? 

envy and resentment...

Edited by redtail hawk

300 mile range and the most fun to drive of any car I’ve ever owned 

Yeah, i do want one. But see... delayed gratification. Some day, when (I hope) college costs are a thing of the past...

https://www.axios.com/local/denver/2023/06/24/casa-bonita-employee-pay-tips-reopening

30 bucks an hour but no tips at the new Casa Bonita (the guys from South Park bought this closed Colorado institution where Cartman crashed a birthday party).

And the servers who signed up are pissed! They thought they'd be making more on average with tips.

Jobs, jobs, everywhere ...

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, The Frankish Reich said:

Yeah, i do want one. But see... delayed gratification. Some day, when (I hope) college costs are a thing of the past...

Took me ten months to take delivery but I’ve had it for almost a year now. Zero maintenance. Just go into a dealer and sit in one. 

THREE cars! Your grandparents didn’t have three cars. (Kidding) 😉

There is no question that the standard of living is much higher now for the avg American than in the 70's.  We had house guests this week with very similar upbringings and circumstances back then.  Everyone agreed and gave examples.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

It’s a BMWi4…. and it’s freaking awesome! 

What model do you have?

Our neighbor is the GM of a BMW dealership in NH.  He got his girlfriend the previous generation i4 hardtop.  Very cool watching the pieces fold together as it goes up and down.  

My wife will probably get a S5 convertible next year when they roll the latest A5 changes into the S platform.  She absolutely refuses to even look at BMW due to the stigma with the brand.

44 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Still love my A5, 10 years into its lifespan. 

Now if they could figure out a way to make an EV version, I'd finally be ready to trade up.

Beautiful car.  I loved my TT.  There's a German restaurant in town and the owner came out and saluted as we drove past.  It had just come out.  Went by the cops one nite in a 35 doing nearly 80 on the way to the hospital and they just watched cuz it was the only one in town.  They still look good 23 years later.

10 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

300 mile range and the most fun to drive of any car I’ve ever owned 

Still liking it? Great to hear. Corners the same as past bimmers

1 hour ago, Precision said:

What model do you have?

Our neighbor is the GM of a BMW dealership in NH.  He got his girlfriend the previous generation i4 hardtop.  Very cool watching the pieces fold together as it goes up and down.  

My wife will probably get a S5 convertible next year when they roll the latest A5 changes into the S platform.  She absolutely refuses to even look at BMW due to the stigma with the brand.

don’t buy the stigma…. Show offs buy mercs or Lexus, drivers buy bimmers. 

11 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

Still liking it? Great to hear. Corners the same as past bimmers

don’t buy the stigma…. Show offs buy mercs or Lexus, drivers buy bimmers. 

The stigma is real and it negatively impacts BMW sale.  Show off's drive MB's and Lexus's, you're freaking kidding right?

1 hour ago, Precision said:

The stigma is real and it negatively impacts BMW sale.  Show off's drive MB's and Lexus's, you're freaking kidding right?

no… what’s the stigma and negative impact of the sale? I must be missing something.

We’ve now had 4 and drive them until they start to break. They drive great, corner well, tanks, safe, reliable, etc. 

Bimmers are for people who consider driving fun. 

They aren’t much more expensive than any other decent sporty car. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Bidenomics smokescreen won’t help the president.

Joe Biden is hitting the campaign trail, talking up “Bidenomics.” What is that, you ask?

Bidenomics is the embrace of Big Government, Big Labor and Big Spending. No wonder Americans are on edge; we’ve learned those are not the best ingredients for healthy, productive growth. 

Here is the truth about the Biden economy: it is barely growing (real growth in the last quarter was 1.1 percent) despite massive federal stimulus. Trillions in spending have thrust our nation’s debt and deficits into the red zone and kicked off inflation, driving real wages lower for 26 consecutive months. Inflation hitting a 40-year high required one of the largest-ever increases in interest rates, which in turned caused three of the biggest bank failures in our nation’s history.

In addition to huge spending, any number of Biden policies, including the intentional squashing of our fossil fuels industries, the “Buy American at any price” union favoritism and the crushing ramp-up in business regulations, have spurred inflation. That is the nut of Bidenomics.

White House spokesperson Olivia Dalton describes Biden’s economic policies as “incredibly popular.” Like most of Biden’s pitch, that is simply not true; RealClearPolitics places the average of his approval ratings on the economy at a minus 17, with 38 percent approving and 57 percent disapproving.

A Gallup poll showed a slight uptick in June in how Americans view their economic conditions, but it remained in deeply negative territory at -32. Only 19 percent rate the economy as excellent or good, compared to 44 percent who say it is poor. Problematic for Biden: Independents as well as Republicans are sour on the economy, and more than two-thirds of that critical group say it is getting worse.

https://thehill.com/opinion/white-house/4073321-the-bidenomics-smokescreen-wont-help-the-president/

• Like (+1) 1