Random Political Thoughts Inc.

T&C

38 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Deregulation is not acceptable. 

The government inspectors are supposed to find the filth before it kills people. Please tell me what good the government is doing in this situation? The people will sue Boarshead and then the govt will take a chunk of the money. I truly can't believe you would choose this as an example of competent government 

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

The government inspectors are supposed to find the filth before it kills people. Please tell me what good the government is doing in this situation? The people will sue Boarshead and then the govt will take a chunk of the money. I truly can't believe you would choose this as an example of competent government 

Maybe Trump shouldn’t have cut the USDA inspection budget eh?

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/461798-trump-administration-allows-fewer-usda-inspectors-at-pork-plants/amp/

My point is, I’m sick and tired of your circlejerk over “small government” when it’s proven over and over that business needs more regulation than ever. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

https://thehill.com/policy/energy-environment/461798-trump-administration-allows-fewer-usda-inspectors-at-pork-plants/amp/

My point is, I’m sick and tired of your circlejerk over “small government” when it’s proven over and over that business needs more regulation than ever. 

Is Boar's Head considered a "pork plant"?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Roundybout said:

Deli ham usually contains ham 

That doesn't answer the question.  People who ate turkey, liverwurst and ham got sick.  It wasn't confined to just pork products.

• Like (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Doc said:

That doesn't answer the question.  People who ate turkey, liverwurst and ham got sick.  It wasn't confined to just pork products.

My point is, stuff like this shows that deregulation cannot happen. We need more inspections than ever before since companies cannot be trusted themselves. 

• Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Your point is that despite the fact that the FDA has 18000 employees, this facility is with a few hours of its headquarters, is one of the largest producers of cold cuts in the world it is not the job of the FDA to find these problems(mold and bugs) before they sicken people? 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Roundy is a moron of course.  But let's follow the science shall we?  I worked on developing faster time to result food pathogen diagnostics for many years.  Listeria, E. coli and Salmonella were among the pathogens I worked with.

Here's the new rule that Roundy is in a tizzy over:

https://www.federalregister.gov/documents/2019/10/01/2019-20245/modernization-of-swine-slaughter-inspection

First of all the new rule was optional.  You could choose to remain under the old system if you wish.

FSIS is establishing an optional new inspection system for market hog slaughter establishments, NSIS, informed by the Agency's experiences under its Hazard Analysis and Critical Control Point (HACCP)-Based Inspection Models Project (HIMP). FSIS is establishing NSIS to improve the effectiveness of market hog slaughter inspection; make better use of the Agency's resources

The reduction in inspectors was achieved because the new rule had them assign more inspectors to cull unhealthy animals before slaughter.  Hint: The whole animal or cacass after slaughter is NOT where pathogen surveillance is most effective.  Read up on biofilms and environmental surface swab monitoring.  SCIENCE!

Because this final rule requires establishment personnel in NSIS establishments to sort and remove unfit animals before ante-mortem inspection by FSIS inspectors and trim and identify defects on carcasses and parts before post-mortem inspection by FSIS inspectors, the Agency's inspectors will be presented with healthier animals and carcasses that have fewer defects, allowing them to conduct a more efficient inspection of each animal and each carcass. As a result, under NSIS, FSIS can assign fewer inspectors to online inspection, freeing up Agency resources to conduct more offline inspection activities that are more effective in ensuring food safety, such as verifying compliance with sanitation and HACCP, as well as humane handling requirements.

Or can we blame any Salmonella outbreaks after 2011 on Obama? 

the Agency discontinued its Salmonella verification sampling program for market hogs in 2011 because the estimated prevalence of Salmonella on hog carcasses was low, and FSIS did not find enough pathogen positives to justify the resources needed ( e.g., time and supplies) to conduct carcass swabbing.

Here's the FSIS protocol for monitoring Listeria. 

Isolation and Identification of Listeria monocytogenes from Ready-to-Eat Meat, Poultry, Siluriformes (Fish), Egg Products, and Environmental Samples

17 hours ago, Doc said:

Which tells you that is was almost certainly due to biofilm surface contamination on the production line.

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

Your point is that despite the fact that the FDA has 18000 employees, this facility is with a few hours of its headquarters, is one of the largest producers of cold cuts in the world it is not the job of the FDA to find these problems(mold and bugs) before they sicken people? 

Most likely a case of laziness and/or payoffs to look the other way.

1 hour ago, Tommy Callahan said:

Ah.  Justice. 

I wonder what Elon is going to do in retaliation?

On 8/28/2024 at 8:49 PM, Roundybout said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bugs-mold-mildew-inspection-boars-head-plant-listeria/

The most important quote to me is the one where the Fed had inspectors on site every single day but still somehow were too incompetent to stop this from happening. 

"As a USDA-inspected food producer, the agency has inspectors in our Jarratt, Virginia plant every day and if at any time inspectors identify something that needs to be addressed, our team does so immediately, as was the case with each and every issue raised by USDA in this report,"

On 8/29/2024 at 10:46 AM, Orlando Buffalo said:

Then don't cut funding to these departments, fund them more so they can properly address these things. 

2 hours ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/bugs-mold-mildew-inspection-boars-head-plant-listeria/

The most important quote to me is the one where the Fed had inspectors on site every single day but still somehow were too incompetent to stop this from happening. 

"As a USDA-inspected food producer, the agency has inspectors in our Jarratt, Virginia plant every day and if at any time inspectors identify something that needs to be addressed, our team does so immediately, as was the case with each and every issue raised by USDA in this report,"

They had inspectors every day?  So payoffs it was, then...

3 minutes ago, Doc said:

They had inspectors every day?  So payoffs it was, then...

If we believe the corporate PR firm spin. But it could be a pay-off. Cheap & effective. I read the jungle in HS, watched the news in China as they talked about babies dying because the ‘formula’ was chalk water. Better funding can pay inspectors better, can provide better auditing or buddy systems to avoid the payoff problem. This is the hell of continuing resolutions and budget brinkmanship.

8 minutes ago, Starr-Bills said:

If we believe the corporate PR firm spin. But it could be a pay-off. Cheap & effective. I read the jungle in HS, watched the news in China as they talked about babies dying because the ‘formula’ was chalk water. Better funding can pay inspectors better, can provide better auditing or buddy systems to avoid the payoff problem. This is the hell of continuing resolutions and budget brinkmanship.

The pay is known before taking the job.  If you take the job, you accept the pay.   If you take the job, do the job.  These guys should be brought up on charges for negligence at least.

54 minutes ago, Doc said:

The pay is known before taking the job.  If you take the job, you accept the pay.   If you take the job, do the job.  These guys should be brought up on charges for negligence at least.

Srly, HuH?