Random Political Thoughts Inc.

T&C

5 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

I didn't say coming to America, I said the media was dishonest. Why am I racist? 

Wait did I quote the wrong guy? I meant to quote Docs post. Sorry. 

16 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

And that has…what to do with the current topic? 

Meaning you guys read into things whatever you want and your powers of observation are woefully lacking.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Yes, the racists are very entrenched. No one cares. 

These streets and neighborhoods look very walkable if one removes the roving gangs of miscreants on every street corner.   What's the plan to address this sort of societal unrest in the collective, Roundy?  

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

These streets and neighborhoods look very walkable if one removes the roving gangs of miscreants on every street corner.   What's the plan to address this sort of societal unrest in the collective, Roundy?  

Laws are good and should be enforced. That said, the root cause of this is building more housing. 

• Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Roundybout said:

Laws are good and should be enforced. That said, the root cause of this is building more housing. 

Building more houses does not happen because of liberalism. The gangs happen because of liberalism. The illegals happen because of liberalism. But you continue to vote liberal and complain that conservatives don't fix what you mess up. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Roundybout said:

I think about experiments in government mandated/assigned housing in foreign lands…places like the USSR.  Is that the solution to today’s crisis—government built complexes, communal living, with x amount of space designated to individuals/families?  An improvement on that model?   

Personally, I think the root cause of the problem is a failure of the government to govern pretty much across the board.  

47 minutes ago, Orlando Buffalo said:

Building more houses does not happen because of liberalism. The gangs happen because of liberalism. The illegals happen because of liberalism. But you continue to vote liberal and complain that conservatives don't fix what you mess up. 

NIMBYism is across the political spectrum. 

I don't know why you're whining about "illegals" in England since the psychopath who stabbed the kids was a British citizen. 

If you want to have a good faith talk about integrating second-gen immigrants, a definite real problem, then I'm all ears. 

8 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I think about experiments in government mandated/assigned housing in foreign lands…places like the USSR.  Is that the solution to today’s crisis—government built complexes, communal living, with x amount of space designated to individuals/families?  An improvement on that model?   

Personally, I think the root cause of the problem is a failure of the government to govern pretty much across the board.  

Possibly. I'm not a huge fan of government housing since it's a slippery slope policy to "let's take the poor and shove them somewhere else," and it creates de facto ghettos. Same problem that rent control has, which I'm very opposed to. 

The root cause of the housing crisis, IMO, are outdated restrictions on new construction. 

1 minute ago, Roundybout said:

I don't know why you're whining about "illegals" in England since the psychopath who stabbed the kids was a British citizen. 

If you want to have a good faith talk about integrating second-gen immigrants, a definite real problem, then I'm all ears. 

I like that you offer no solutions to the problems your side creates. Secondly nothing Iisted is a NIMBY problem unless you think the entire country is my backyard. 

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

Possibly. I'm not a huge fan of government housing since it's a slippery slope policy to "let's take the poor and shove them somewhere else," and it creates de facto ghettos. Same problem that rent control has, which I'm very opposed to. 

The root cause of the housing crisis, IMO, are outdated restrictions on new construction. 

I keep asking because I’m interested in what a person in your field might see as the future.  I’m not interested personally, because what seems to be offered isn’t anything I would like. 

What bothers me here is the “possibly” part of your post.  I’m hard-pressed to find a government mandated housing scenario that values quality over economy, freedom of choice over mandated choices, and the ultimate reality that the govt ultimately chooses winners/losers as in any other system. 

Plus, all that f@rt dust blowing through the vents on the top floors of these communes has to be overwhelming.  Hard pass for me. 

9 hours ago, Roundybout said:

The neighborhoods they live in currently are run down and dilapidated, but let's give them more? They don't take care of their neighborhoods as is.

13 minutes ago, leh-nerd skin-erd said:

I keep asking because I’m interested in what a person in your field might see as the future.  I’m not interested personally, because what seems to be offered isn’t anything I would like. 

What bothers me here is the “possibly” part of your post.  I’m hard-pressed to find a government mandated housing scenario that values quality over economy, freedom of choice over mandated choices, and the ultimate reality that the govt ultimately chooses winners/losers as in any other system. 

Plus, all that f@rt dust blowing through the vents on the top floors of these communes has to be overwhelming.  Hard pass for me. 

I do agree with the second half of your post. I think, for the average lower-class working Joe, I'd like to see a mass increase of supply and then some kind of government voucher system to aid in affordability. This preserves the freedom to choose and move and doesn't lock the poor into Le Corbusier-style towers. 

I said "possibly" because I believe there are still going to be a group of people that needs government-built housing, mostly the mentally ill/those who cannot live on their own and don't really have the agency to go through the home-buying process. I prefer this to nonprofits because government agencies can be held accountable easier than vague boards of directors. Plus, in my experience, non-profits are difficult to work with and are often poorly run. 

In an ideal world, we'd increase the supply so much that prices relax naturally and the voucher system is not needed. In the urban planner world, we're experimenting in a few different cities with different ideas like converting vacant storefronts to housing. Office buildings seem like a great idea, but the problem there is that the infrastructure is simply not there for 200 new families and all their basic needs. It's bonkers expensive. 

Reminder for all the fine people here that worship EndWokeness (aka known neonazi Jack Posibiec), that he’s often wrong and is getting a lot of innocent people in danger.