Yahoo Sports grades the bills last

Buffalo Bills

High marks: Tight end Kevin Everett adequately addressed a depth issue, as did center Raymond Preston, guard Justin Geisinger and running back Lionel Gates.

Low marks: The second-round pick lavished on wide receiver Roscoe Parrish wasn't a need and really should have gone to something else. With the Travis Henry-for-L.J. Shelton deal flaming out, the Bills had to address left offensive tackle but didn't. The need at defensive tackle didn't get addressed, and fifth-rounder Eric King doesn't really fulfill the need for a commanding cornerback. Taking Parrish over a tackle prospect like Syracuse's Adam Terry (or a trade up a few spots to take Khalif Barnes) was stupefying.

Final grade: C

Miami Dolphins

High marks: One of the best drafts this year. Coach Nick Saban really did his homework, then got some luck. Running back, inside linebacker (for the occasional 3-4 look) and defensive end were all big needs, and Saban filled them with great talent. Running back Ronnie Brown's reputation goes without saying, but second-round defensive end Matt Roth and third-round inside linebacker Channing Crowder also have first-round talent. Cornerback Travis Daniels will help with the loss of Patrick Surtain. Offensive tackle Anthony Alabi and defensive tackle Kevin Vickerson are both great projects for both lines. Saban really did well with every single pick he had.

Low marks: Late-round projects at quarterback and wide receiver would have been nice pickups.

Final grade: A-plus

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think they are spot on. I have no idea why we didn't make a move to try to pick up Barnes when he was there for the taking. We didn't address our needs very well (a disturbing trend under Donahoe)

I have yet to see the Bills draft rated highly and I agree with the low marks that our front office has been given.

I think they are spot on.  I have no idea why we didn't make a move to try to pick up Barnes when he was there for the taking.  We didn't address our needs very well (a disturbing trend under Donahoe)

I have yet to see the Bills draft rated highly and I agree with the low marks that our front office has been given.

318876[/snapback]

I missed the part where you explain how the Bills would so easily trade up.

Looking at a few "draft grades",  the term "grade inflation" comes to mind. Can't thse guys toss out a well-deserved "F" from time to time?

319022[/snapback]

Sure...but what would be the point. Two years from now, when that unheralded 5th or 6th round draft choice becomes All Pro, the fans would throw the guy's grade right back in his face and diminish his "credibility."

Reporters and weather men...both blaber on and are forgotten the next day. Makes for great job security.

Sure...but what would be the point.  Two years from now, when that unheralded 5th or 6th round draft choice becomes All Pro, the fans would throw the guy's grade right back in his face and diminish his "credibility."

Reporters and weather men...both blaber on and are forgotten the next day.  Makes for great job security.

319045[/snapback]

Yep. :o

Taking Parrish over a tackle prospect like Syracuse's Adam Terry (or a trade up a few spots to take Khalif Barnes) was stupefying.

318763[/snapback]

I stopped there. i'm just a hack in a cube farm, and I even find this statement stupefying.

Trading up is this simple, no effort excercise that any team can do at any time?

Sure...but what would be the point.  Two years from now, when that unheralded 5th or 6th round draft choice becomes All Pro, the fans would throw the guy's grade right back in his face and diminish his "credibility."

Reporters and weather men...both blaber on and are forgotten the next day.  Makes for great job security.

319045[/snapback]

Yeah, right. This team is BRIMMING with all kinds of 5'th and 6'th round

ALL-PROs since TD has come here.

He can barley even find starters after round 2.

If we traded up I think it would have been to take Nugent. There is no link above, so let me ask, what does Yahoo think about the Jets draft in general and specifically regarding using a pick on a kicker.

This is just my opinion, but the "professionals" that give the Bills higher marks for this draft all seem to take into account that JP was worth the trade and seem to consider him part of this draft. Frankly, this thinking is okay to me also.

With the Travis Henry-for-L.J. Shelton deal flaming out, the Bills had to address left offensive tackle but didn't. The need at defensive tackle didn't get addressed, and fifth-rounder Eric King doesn't really fulfill the need for a commanding cornerback.

Uhhh..... isn't LJ Shelton a right tackle?

And don't the Bills have four DT's already on the roster?

JDG

Exactly...

319000[/snapback]

Smartass.

Well let's look at our draft from start to finish. The goals coming in according to most observers were.

1. Unload Travis Henry. TD failed to do this.

2. Remedy the offensive tackle situation so we don't have Trey Teague playing tackle. While we did take an OT in round 6, on paper that does not look like it is a solution for this season or even the next few. We failed (not sure if we tried) to trade up for Barnes who was picked just a few spots in front of us.

3. Pick up a DT. We really blew this one in my opinion with Hawthorne sitting there in round 5.

4. Pick up a tight end. We were successful in doing this. I'm fine with the pick we made in this regard.

5. Take a player who can help us now with our first pick in round two. I do not feel that Parrish is going to help us this year and I didn't like the pick. While TD keeps taking the best on the board vs need we keep finishing 8-8 and 9-7.

In 2 or 3 years I may tell you it turned out great, but sitting here looking at what we did this weekend does not really impress me whatsoever.