One thing i'm extremely interested in seeing

I am sorry. My entire (however weak) point was that only a small handful of qbs can make the true deep throws (without a ton of air). If this was the end-all, Drew would still be here.

I merely took exception when a poster used the phrase "every throw."

JP is comparatively small. He seems to have enough arm strength, maybe even more than Montana, who didn't have a cannon. I dont dispute that.

I shouldn't have nit-picked, but again, from what little I saw, I dont view him as having a Marino type arm. No big deal. Neither did Steve Young, and how good was he?

See what I mean?

318645[/snapback]

Yeah, I see what you are saying. I'll disagree on the arm strength issue. I think JP does have an really strong arm (from what I have seen through his college days and what little in practice). As for the true deep throws, I think some of that is something learned over time. Look at Peyton for example. In his first year, he was throwing a deep ball just like he did in college and was getting picked on a regular basis. The next year, his deep throws were much improved.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why not AD? A not so big qb who is mobile, with a crisp throwing arm.

Who does he remind you of?

318633[/snapback]

I can't say he reminds me of anyone, to be perfectly honest - mostly because I haven't seen him do enough to make any kind of comparison. I will say that the one impressive throw I saw him make was an out to the far sideline in his first preseason game that was an absolute laser. I believe Sam Aiken or Freddie Smith was the recipient. The list of QBs in my memory who could make that throw is very short.

Drew's arm isn't the uber-cannon it was even when he started in Buffalo. I certainly understand your point on his arm strength actually becoming a liability.

Montana had pretty much a noodle arm, which is one reason he struggled so mightily in bad weather. Think back to his road games against the BILLS and Giants in the playoffs.

I give up. You are right again. JP has a much stronger arm than Drew, Marino and Dan Pastorini combined.

I guess it is "homer" time again, which must be fun, but please play without me this time.

318643[/snapback]

Pretty annoying habit of yours, I must say. Please show me where I even implied that Losman had a very strong arm? All I said was it is strong enough to throw bombs and to throw 40 yard outs, which is the measuring stick. Why do you insist on implying things that the other posters didn't say nor come close to implying. No one here in this thread, no one here in any thread as far as I recall has compared Losman's arm strength to all-time greats or stronger than anyone in the game.

Wrong game.  That was in the year of the last Bills Super Bowl team.

The poster is talking about a year earlier playoff game, in Miami, the year the Bills made the Supoer Bowl as a Wild Card team, winning on the road in Pittsburgh (with Frank Reigh at QB) and then going down to Miami to face the Dolphins, who had won the eastern division.  It was the year of the miracle comeback against Houston (which preceded the Pittsburgh game.  (and the 51-17 shellacking by Dallas in the SB.  Ouch.)

It a sunny day and Thurman tore them up on screen passes, including one for a touchdown to break open the game.

318603[/snapback]

Correct, Doc. Kenny Davis had a couple of nice gains off center-screens that day, too, and the D absolutely throttled Miami's offense. 26-3 early in the fourth quarter, and the Fishies ended up with all of 33 yards rushing and 5 turnovers.

The '96 game - December 30 1995, actually - was the one that put Steve Tasker on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Couldn't stop him, or TT, or Darick Holmes, or Timmy Tindale... heck, Ralph could've scored against them that day. 27-0 at the end of the third quarter. What a perfect way to end Don Shula's coaching career. <_<

I can't say he reminds me of anyone, to be perfectly honest - mostly because I haven't seen him do enough to make any kind of comparison.  I will say that the one impressive throw I saw him make was an out to the far sideline in his first preseason game that was an absolute laser.  I believe Sam Aiken or Freddie Smith was the recipient.  The list of QBs in my memory who could make that throw is very short.

Yeah, Elway would be the first that comes to mind, then Favre.

Pretty annoying habit of yours, I must say. Please show me where I even implied that Losman had a very strong arm? All I said was it is strong enough to throw bombs and to throw 40 yard outs, which is the measuring stick. Why do you insist on implying things that the other posters didn't say nor come close to implying. No one here in this thread, no one here in any thread as far as I recall has compared Losman's arm strength to all-time greats or stronger than anyone in the game.

318654[/snapback]

Let me try one last time. I AM SAYING that JP has a strong arm!

I just think that the 'every single throw" thing is a reach and a half. That is all I mean. Nothing else.

Billy Kilmer had perhaps the weakest arm I ever saw, but he had more touch on short passes than does Drew.

Elway threw accurate 50 yard ropes accross the field while scrambling out of the pocket.

Montana threaded the needle between 3 defenders for a gain of 18 on 3rd and 17 in a superbowl. There are many different types of passes and they all matter.

I am not ready to say that JP can throw all of them, especially the freak out patterns of 40 yards. I saw Marino throw one at the Ralph and was literally stunned. The ball was never 20 ft in the air, or so it seemed.

The way JP can move and do other things, if he could make those throws he would have went before Manning.

Feel free to disagree.

Correct, Doc. Kenny Davis had a couple of nice gains off center-screens that day, too, and the D absolutely throttled Miami's offense. 26-3 early in the fourth quarter, and the Fishies ended up with all of 33 yards rushing and 5 turnovers.

The '96 game - December 30 1995, actually - was the one that put Steve Tasker on the cover of Sports Illustrated. Couldn't stop him, or TT, or Darick Holmes, or Timmy Tindale... heck, Ralph could've scored against them that day. 27-0 at the end of the third quarter. What a perfect way to end Don Shula's coaching career. <_<

318655[/snapback]

Lori, it is literally GREAT to hear from you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

These guys are killing me here! :):D

It looks like the jests this year. We wanted the falcs on 9/25 but Rory cant make it.

C'mon, stick around, OK? :w00t:;)

Let me try one last time. I AM SAYING that JP has a strong arm!

I just think that the 'every single throw" thing is a reach and a half. That is all I mean. Nothing else.

Billy Kilmer had perhaps the weakest arm I ever saw, but he had more touch on short passes than does Drew.

Elway threw accurate 50 yard ropes accross the field while scrambling out of the pocket.

Montana threaded the needle between 3 defenders for a gain of 18 on 3rd and 17 in a superbowl. There are many different types of passes and they all matter.

I am not ready to say that JP can throw all of them, especially the freak out patterns of 40 yards. I saw Marino throw one at the Ralph and was literally stunned. The ball was never 20 ft in the air, or so it seemed.

The way JP can move and do other things, if he could make those throws he would have went before Manning.

Feel free to disagree.

318665[/snapback]

But you're ignoring and continue to ignore and address the fundamental issue: "MAKING EVERY THROW" has a clear and specific meaning in football. It means you are capable of making that kind of throw. It doesn't mean you can do it every time, it doesn't mean you can do it as consistently as all-time great quarterbacks, it doesn't mean you can throw 50 yard ropes like Elway, it doesn't mean anything other than you are physically capable of making that pass in a game with reasonable accuracy. That is what the original poster and everyone in in this thread except you is referring to - the established football term "making every throw".

Has the arm strength to make all the throws.

A lot of teams are still trying to figure out Losman. How NFL decision-makers think he can handle coaching could have as much impact on where he is drafted as his rifle arm. During the South practice, Losman looked like he didn’t know his own arm strength, failing to take zip off of short passes and not showing much touch. Later, Losman showed good patience in passing drills, checking down to Alabama RB Shaud Williams on one play.

Losman is a potential starter but isn't a franchise quarterback. He is not very big (6-2, 225) but has excellent arm strength, a quick release and sound mechanics.

He's got as strong or stronger arm than those three other guys and football intellect, he's going to be able to do anything we ask."

Senior quarterback J.P. Losman is considered a solid NFL prospect because of his arm strength and athleticism.

His unique combination of size, arm strength, mobility, and intelligence make him a hot commodity among scouts.

The perfect dropback passer, with enough height, an excellent arm and a release that is fast and efficient. Played in an NFL-style offense that is proven to produce NFL quarterbacks. Losman has been able to put up sufficient numbers despite lacking any big-time receivers. Though he's not super-mobile, he can roll out and throw with accuracy and has decent feet, as evidenced by his 40 time at the combine (4.59, tied for first among passers at Indy). Had a lights-out workout at Indianapolis and clearly was the best passer in drills (though Eli Manning and Matt Mauck didn't attend). Losman has good accuracy. Every throw has good zip and is catchable.

Wrong game.  That was in the year of the last Bills Super Bopwl team.

The poster is talking about a year earlier playoff game, in Miami, the year the Bills made the Supoer Bowl as a Wild Card team, winning on the road in Pittsburgh (with Frank Reigh at QB) and then going down to Miami to face the Dolphins, who had won the eastern division.  It was the year of the miracle comeback against Houston (which preceded the Pittsburgh game.  (and the 51-17 shellacking by Dallas in the SB.  Ouch.)

It a sunny day and Thurman tore them up on screen passes, including one for a touchdown to break open the game.

318603[/snapback]

Yeah I figured I had it wrong (someone else recalled correctly as well) because the game I was referring to was more straight up running. I do not remember much of the phins AFC Champ game besides I was pissed when we let up that late TD. 29-3 would have been sweeeeeet.