ESPN's draft coverage grade - F

I long for the days when it was just Kiper and Berman and the hightlight video of the players being drafted. They had waaaaay to many reporters, analysists and current NFL players that it choked off any sense of continuity or coherence to their coverage.

The NFL needs to cut these NFL teams off at the knees and give them just 10 minutes for 1st rd picks after everyone of them wasted our time by needlessly taking up every second of their 15 minutes of time in a dull as dirt draft class.

I long for the days when it was just Kiper and Berman and the hightlight video of the players being drafted. They had waaaaay to many reporters, analysists and current NFL players that it choked off any sense of continuity or coherence to their coverage.

The NFL needs to cut these NFL teams off at the knees and give them just 10 minutes for 1st rd picks after everyone of them wasted our time by needlessly taking up every second of their 15 minutes of time in a dull as dirt draft class.

318116[/snapback]

Agreed.

Who in the name of Hooked on Phonics decided Torry Holt was a good idea on draft day ? ;)

Agreed.

Who in the name of Hooked on Phonics decided Torry Holt was a good idea on draft day ?  ;)

318121[/snapback]

I was just talking about that with someone else not too long ago. Also miss the days when Kiper would piss off GM's and we would have the "who the hell is Mel Kiper" fun.

Although I love the fact that ESPN does so much work and presents every pick of the draft for us to watch, which cannot be under-estimated, they get an F for me, too, simply by the amount of time they devoted to Maurice Clarett.

I thought Jon Jensen has a future as a broadcaster. Not great but pretty good for the amount of time he was on and being relatively new at this.

I agree, too. When they on day one, stopped showing streaming picks and made one wait for their team-by-team, - all 32-team - stuff, with printed commentary for each club and stick-around-watch-our-advertisers-you-addicted-sucker, was when I checked out of their coverage. I did like Terry Holt, who unlike the noted

ballwashers Kiper, Mort, and Berman, had the conjones to occasionally balk. They will never have him back, I'm sure.

Not to mention the incessantly-repeated commercials. If that Set-Up-Man kid ran in front of my car, I'd be very sad, but would also have some sort of "cosmic" justice thoughts, too. ;)

After the first round it just became a free for all. Unless you were watching every second for the "CURRENT SELECTION" prompt to come up you had no idea what was going on. Piss poor job. Honestly, somebody over at ESPN should be fired for putting that garbage together.

318135[/snapback]

And i was the schmuck watching every friggin selection thinking the bills would trade up. If i flunk out this semester, TD gets the blame because we didn't get an extra draft pick to make up for my failures. ;)

I think the graphics bothered me more than the talking heads. If you turned on the tv in mid-coverage, the larger graphic would say which team was picking next -- not the player who just got picked.

You had to sit there and wait for the entire ticker at the bottom of the screen to go by to see who your team just picked because god forbid they should actually talk about that particular player at that time.

ESPN really does have knowledgable people covering the draft, but their method seems to be to throw as much dung against the wall to see what sticks.

They could simply the coverage with fewer talking heads. Start by cutting out those cutesy poo interviews with Suzy Kolber and the number one picks. Do I really need to hear some draft pick mouthing cliches or prasing jeebus for the opportunity. Leave that nonsense for the NBA draft please.

Agreed.

Who in the name of Hooked on Phonics decided Torry Holt was a good idea on draft day ?  ;)

318121[/snapback]

You could tell that Tory Holt didn't know what he was getting himself into. I guarantee that he will never do that again. It's not worth it!

Totally agree, and they don't show nearly enough highlights IMO. The draft is about football, SO SHOW FOOTBALL. I don't want some stiffs in suits blathering 90% of the time, I want to see highlights. I'm sure they have more than enough footage.

And another WTF regarding Torry Holt. Incredibly lame decision. I thought there was a corner from the Vikings, Chavez I think, who lives for the draft and is a Mel Kiper wannabe. Where the hell was he?

Then there were the times they would just, apropos of nothing, go and bob some Patriot knob. Like the feature they ran with Jaws slobbering all over Brady for no reason at all.

The ONE cool thing they did was the Stefan LeFors feature. As someone with a very similar upbringing (right down to the sibling who went to Gallaudet), I thought it was incredibly cool. I hope he meets with much success in the NFL.

The ONE cool thing they did was the Stefan LeFors feature.  As someone with a very similar upbringing (right down to the sibling who went to Gallaudet), I thought it was incredibly cool.  I hope he meets with much success in the NFL.

318156[/snapback]

Amen !

Then there were the times they would just, apropos of nothing, go and bob some Patriot knob.  Like the feature they ran with Jaws slobbering all over Brady for no reason at all.

The ONE cool thing they did was the Stefan LeFors feature.  As someone with a very similar upbringing (right down to the sibling who went to Gallaudet), I thought it was incredibly cool.  I hope he meets with much success in the NFL.

318156[/snapback]

I watched that. Well-done feature.

The worst was rolling out Susie Kolber on day two.

And while we're on the subject, they make such a big deal of the amount of time that they have to kill. So how come they can't show the actual picks being made, at least in the first three rounds? It would seem like a no-brainer.

And I agree with cutting down the time in the first round to ten minutes. Maybe give the teams each one 5 minute extention that they can use at any point in the draft if they truly need the extra time to consumate a trade.

318156[/snapback]

It was a great piece, but one that was aired in October. Great story, great kid, and I know he's got a future in the NFL.