Why TE Everett?

Curious about a 2nd year of a higher pick of a TE. Everett seems to be a reach - if they wanted to feature a TE in the pass offense, they should have drafted Stanford's Alex Smith. The Bill's offense - since Reismerma left - is not close to TE - oriented. Bledsoe seldom looked in the te's direction, even with last year's injuries notwithsanding, and with their drafting of the wr smurf as top pick, I am at a loss.

Bottom line - TE is not part of their offensive scheme - why waste a pick? Even if Everett is the best thing out there, they don't toss the business that way. Cripe, I'm sure that JP will follow Cincy's Palmer - wet behind the ears with eyes on one or two wr's - the B'gals TE catches fell almost in half from '03 because the functional rookie Palmer did not have the experience to pick up the opportunities.

And nothing against the pick of a CB - could have done that in lieu of the te pick -but I'm surprised that they PASSED on LB Mike Boley.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Last year with an immobile quarterback (who, I might add, was locked on #80 for the first five or six games anyway), our tight ends were too busy trying to help our OL keep him upright to do any pass-catching.

Still, Campbell managed to catch three TDs in one game later last year. I'd say that qualifies as trying to get more of a TE-orientation to the offense.

Bledsoe rarely bothered to go past his first option ...

The addition of a vertical threat at TE is a "good" thing. Thus, the addition of a TE who can be a vertical threat is needed. Now, if they implement vertical routes, and actualy utilize the TE position as a vertical threat, it will be a "very good" thing.

Last year with an immobile quarterback (who, I might add, was locked on #80 for the first five or six games anyway), our tight ends were too busy trying to help our OL keep him upright to do any pass-catching.

Still, Campbell managed to catch three TDs in one game later last year.  I'd say that qualifies as trying to get more of a TE-orientation to the offense.

318035[/snapback]

I say a TE plays a bigger role in our offense this year. Especially when JP rolls out.

Actually it's pretty simple. Parrish and Everett were drafted, because of speed

Parrish is a burner with the potential to be a great slot receiver, and outside of Lee Evans we don't have anyone on our offense capable of converting those 3rd and 15 plays. Yes I think parrish is a reach, but I also believe he has tremendous potential to be a great weapon in the passing game as well as a punt returner.

Maybe the reason we haven't used a te is because our current te's wear cement shoes, and can't seperate from coverage? Everett is more of a receiving threat, who is significantly faster than any te currently on our roster, and has the potential to improve as a blocker as well. Mularkey probably recognizes that in todays nfl you need a receiving threat from the te position. For not only as a threat in the redzone, but a threat that doesn't pigeon hold you from calling just running plays on 3rd and short so teams can't key on just 1 or 2 players but have to account for several.

Our offense ranked 25th in terms of yardage last year, the only way to improve on yards gained is by improving the overall speed of your offense which we were lacking outside of lee evans.

Bottom line - TE is not part of their offensive scheme - why waste a pick? 

318027[/snapback]

I guess I'd say it wasn't part of the "DB offense." The JP offense looks like it'll feature a LOT of movement...and a mobile QB that can hit a mobile check-down TE is a good thing.

BTW, Everett was the #3 TE with most scouting publications I saw, with his downside only being his limited experience in the position. Seems like a good value pick in round 3.

I agree that TE wasn't a must have that early, but I don't agree that we won't be using the TE much. I think we'll see more of Everett/Euhus, and less of Damon Shelton.

It's already clear what MM is changing on offense with the change from DB to JP. We went from a power running team, to a wide open offense in one offseason. Everett is a vertical threat from the TE position with his speed and hands.

This probably doesn't mean much of anything as I believe come week 1 Everett will be our starting te but it's bills related so here ya go http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=fanb...nball&type=lgns

Bills: Everett likely won't start

by Fanball Staff - Fanball.com

Monday, April 25, 2005

News

Former Miami Hurricane tight end Kevin Everett was selected by the Bills in the third round of the draft. He is projected to play some in passing situations this year, but will need some seasoning before he is handed the starting job, according to the Buffalo News. "Right away in the pass game he will be hard to cover, either at the line or put him in the slot, flex him out a little bit in motion," said Bills scout Marc Ross. "As a full-time guy, I don't know about that right now."

Views

The Bills have a couple of capable tight ends in Mark Campbell and Tim Euhus. Both are recovering from offseason knee surgeries, but are expected to be ready for training camp. Everett has a good set of hands and is very athletic, but he only started for one year at Miami and clearly needs experience before he's ready to be a full-time guy. Still, his presence muddies the waters in an already cloudy situation, which means your best bet is to stay away from the Bills' tight ends on fantasy draft day.

Everett = one more cookie-cutter Bill's TE who will seldom see the ball. MM despite being a former TE was an OC that did not toss many passes that way. Now if you want a TE to be a blocker first, that's ok, but picking a 241 lb player at 3rd when you don't have a whole bunch of picks seems goofy to me, especially when you selected one, albeit a bit larger, the year before...

I'm sorry - I see this club #4 in the AFC East- essentially rookie QB, an aging defense with little bench behind it that got high rankings because the offensive failures gave then short fields to defend and therefore by definition gave up fewer yards. Come crunch time, they were exposed. No LB's, no DL moves in the draft and in the FA market...

Poor management. Perhaps part of a set-up for the franchise move... ;)

Of all the positions it seems that tight end is the most difficult one in which to find great players. There have been and are a lot of good ones but, perhaps because the position requires the "complete football package of skills" there have been few great ones: Ditka, Mackey, Casper, Newsome, Winslow pere et fils(?), Coates, Bavaro, Gonzalez ( last 3 are not HOF's) and I am drawing blanks now. Everrett may possess the speed, agility, toughness and smarts to be great.

I do know the best TE the Bills can claim is Metzellars with Costa and Seymour not far behind and neither of them will rise to Canton's podium.

There are only 6 TE's inducted: Casper, Ditka, Mackey, Newsome, Smith, Winslow.The only other position with less is placekicker (Stenerud). Even "contributor" has 18 slots!!! in HOF.

I don't expect him to start, but I do like the Bills TE's as a whole now. Even though Neufeld did a bunch of things adequately and his versatility was nice, he doesn't excel at anything and had no potential to be great. This gives the Bills just what you need. Everett will be coached throughout the year and won't see the field all that much but will be in on certain packages and on some passing downs to create mismatches. He will be utilized in some double TE formations. We have three guys now that can all catch and can cause problems for teams wondering what we will be calling. He also has a potential to be an outstanding TE, something we haven't had forever. I don't see much more than 10-15 catches and 2-3 TDs out of him but he will play and fill a need and could be ready to start next year.

Everett = one more cookie-cutter Bill's TE who will seldom see the ball.  MM despite being a former TE was an OC that did not toss many passes that way. Now if you want a TE to be a blocker first, that's ok, but picking a 241 lb player at 3rd when you don't have a whole bunch of picks seems goofy to me, especially when you selected one, albeit a bit larger, the year before...

I'm sorry - I see this club #4 in the AFC East- essentially rookie QB, an aging defense with little bench behind it that got high rankings because the offensive failures gave then short fields to defend and therefore by definition gave up fewer yards. Come crunch time, they were exposed. No LB's, no DL moves in the draft and in the FA market...

Poor management.  Perhaps part of a set-up for the franchise move... :lol:

318077[/snapback]

Jeez..who pissed in your Rice Crispies today!?? ;)

The better teams in the nfl all have good receiving threats from the te position

SD- Antonio Gates- 2005 record 12-4 #3 scoring offense in the nfl #11 in yards

KC- Tony Gonzalez, Jason Dunn, and Kris Wilson- #2 in scoring offense #1 in yards

IND- Dallas Clark, Marcus Pollard(I know pollards no longer there now) #1 in scoring offense #2 in yards

Vikings- Jermaine Wiggins, Kleinsasser #6 scoring offense #3 in yards

ATL- Alge Crumpler #16 scoring offense #18 in yards 11-5. lost in nfc championship game

NE- #4 Scoring offense #7 in yards 14-2 superbowl champs Christian Fauria | 16 | 16 195 12.2 2 |

| Daniel Graham | 14 | 30 364 12.1 7

Philly Birds- #8 scoring offense #8 in yards. LJ Smith,Chad Lewis

Almost all the top tier teams in the nfl have a reliable te option some have 2. In todays nfl A te t is one of the most important positions on your team. It gives you a threat in the redzone, a threat on 3rd and short and for some teams, like the chiefs, chargers, colts a threat in the vertical passing game.

All we did is add a speedy receiving te with potential to add frame and become a good blocker who will instantly help out JP by demanding he be accounted for so teams can't key on us so easily. A Good te opens up everything and only makes your team better.

If you have no #1 and you pick a WR in the 2nd round and you proceed to spend that #3 on a TE, you'de better be looking for more than 15 catches per year... ;)

318097[/snapback]

Hey, it'd be 10 catches more than Kellen Winslow had for the Browns last year!