Predict the Bills receiver 2005 corp

I think Reed is going to be cut late in the pre-season.

Obviously, Moulds and Evans and Parrish are locks.

At first blush, it would seem that Not quite So Fast Freddie's job is in danger because Parrish would fill many of the same roles. But on second thought, my reasoning is that Reed and Aiken are basically the same type of player, and you simply don't need two of them. Aiken is the better blocker and better on special teams and probably has the higher upside at this point in their careers unless Josh makes a ridiculous turnaround. It's possible but unlikely.

A team's #5 receiver rarely sees the field but Freddie somewhat impressed me last year with his play-making ability. As a #5, we don't need another possession guy that does the same things as the #4. Especially with creative offensive thinkers MM, and TC and SW around. So I think Reed and Aiken battle it out against each other and Freddie gets a reprieve for a year to see if he can make plays in a limited role.

At first blush, it would seem that Not quite So Fast Freddie's job is in danger because Parrish would fill many of the same roles. But on second thought, my reasoning is that Reed and Aiken are basically the same type of player, and you simply don't need two of them. Aiken is the better blocker and better on special teams and probably has the higher upside at this point in their careers unless Josh makes a ridiculous turnaround. It's possible but unlikely.

A team's #5 receiver rarely sees the field but Freddie somewhat impressed me last year with his play-making ability. As a #5, we don't need another possession guy that does the same things as the #4. Especially with creative offensive thinkers MM, and TC and SW around. So I think Reed and Aiken battle it out against each other and Freddie gets a reprieve for a year to see if he can make plays in a limited role.

317933[/snapback]

I think Aiken stays and actually shows us something this year.

I think Aiken stays and actually shows us something this year.

317937[/snapback]

I agree. Aiken has a lot of potential. This is it for him. His career is on the line this year, and I think he's going to come out strong. I'd guess he got more reps with Losman last year than Evans or Moulds did. By that I mean Aiken and JP should already have a handle on each other's timing.

I think Fast Freddie goes to the practice squad and Reed is #3 to start and slips to #5 by midseason. Aiken moves up to #3 and Roscoe (I love his first name) finishes the year as #4.

Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Aiken, Johnathan Smith Aka Fast Freddie

Reed the odd man out. Reed is now going into his 4th year and has not improved but declined. Drops way too many passes. Can't create seperation, is not good after the catch and can't run routes. Aiken stays for a year otherwise he's gone next year as well. Smith stays because at this point he has made plays on mularkeys team and has more upside than Reed.

I agree. Aiken has a lot of potential. This is it for him. His career is on the line this year, and I think he's going to come out strong. I'd guess he got more reps with Losman last year than Evans or Moulds did. By that I mean Aiken and JP should already have a handle on each other's timing.

I think Fast Freddie goes to the practice squad and Reed is #3 to start and slips to #5 by midseason. Aiken moves up to #3 and Roscoe (I love his first name) finishes the year as #4.

317979[/snapback]

I'm not sure Freddie will last long on the practice squad after taking balls to the house and nearly to the house last year. Someone will snap him up. I think we'll keep him.

Week 1: Evans - Moulds - Reed - Aiken - Parrish

Say what you want about Josh Reed, but he always looks great in training camp.

Maybe just a tease again, but I think he sticks and Fast Freddie is gone.

By year end: Evans - Moulds - Parrish are 1-3... Aiken or Reed may be gone

Having to cut a HIGH second round draft choice will be a tough pill for TD to swallow, but I have to believe the handwriting is on the wall for Reed(and this is hard for me to say, because I thought he would be a very good pro coming out of LSU). Unless he does a 180 degree turnaround in mini camp, training camp & pre-season games, Reed will be gone. The statements TD made prior to the draft about him being a competent #3 WR, got flushed down the toilet the moment they drafted Parrish.

2005 WR's...Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Aiken & Smith.(If they want another veteran presence in this group, I would consider signing Tai Streets who is a UFA).

317933[/snapback]

Now there is something that I agree with you on!

For all of you Reed fans out their can you visualize even ONE great play in three years?

Not to mention the superior run after the catch ability that he was advertised to have coming out of college was non existent when he began playing with the big boys.

lets see:

no size

no speed

no run after the catch

no hands

= BUST

Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Aiken and Reed.

I think that Smith doesn't bring anything to the table that Parrish can't handle, and I think they give Reed one more year to prove he belongs. If he doesn't do it early though, he'll get a quick hook and Aiken will replace him.

Week 1: Evans - Moulds - Reed - Aiken - Parrish

Say what you want about Josh Reed, but he always looks great in training camp.

Maybe just a tease again, but I think he sticks and Fast Freddie is gone.

By year end: Evans - Moulds - Parrish are 1-3... Aiken or Reed may be gone

317991[/snapback]

Agree with your list. I'd like to see "Mr. Larry's" prediction come true, too!

Now there is something that I agree with you on!

For all of you Reed fans out their can you visualize even ONE great play in three years?

Not to mention the superior run after the catch ability that he was advertised to have coming out of college was non existent when he began playing with the big boys.

lets see:

no size

no speed

no run after the catch

no hands

= BUST

317998[/snapback]

Reed rookie year made one of the guttsiest catches I have ever seen. It was a bomb where he dived fully extended with two safety making runs at him. An amazing catch. So yes I can name ONE great play Reed has made. Reed was great after the catch and has great hands at LSU and his first two years in the NFL. He has dissapointed the last two years but I give cut him some slack seeing who he had at QB. I am not giving up on Reed yet

Moulds, Evans, Parrish, Aiken, Johnathan Smith Aka Fast Freddie

Reed the odd man out.  Reed is now going into his 4th year and has not improved but declined.  Drops way too many passes. Can't create seperation, is not good after the catch and can't run routes.  Aiken stays for a year otherwise he's gone next year as well.    Smith stays because at this point he has made plays on mularkeys team and has more upside than Reed.

317983[/snapback]

I'd probably agree with this final depth chart although to clarify your negatives on Reed, I disagree a bit. While you are right that he drops too many passes and can't create separation (on outside routes), he is quite good after the catch and does run routes pretty well, and is a very good blocker downfield. It's gonna be quite a battle between Reed and Aiken this camp IMO...

He has dissapointed the last two years but I give cut him some slack seeing who he had at QB.  I am not giving up on Reed yet

318007[/snapback]

Ok I get it everyone hates Drew Bledsoe but Eric Moulds, Lee Evans, Peerless Price, even travis henry(yeah I know a rb) did so horrible with Bledsoe ;)

We can even go back further in Bledsoe's career Shawn Jefferson, Terry Glenn, and oh yeah that Ben Coates fellow was pretty good, Vincent Brisby, Michael Timpson all had their best years under Bledsoe.

I'm willing to lay down money that Josh Reed isn't a good receiver not because of who his qb was, but because Josh Reed just isn't good period.

Ok I get it everyone hates Drew Bledsoe  but Eric Moulds,  Lee Evans, Peerless Price, even travis henry(yeah I know a rb) did so horrible with Bledsoe  ;)

We can even go back further in Bledsoe's career Shawn Jefferson, Terry Glenn, and oh yeah that Ben Coates fellow was pretty good, Vincent Brisby, Michael Timpson all had their best years under Bledsoe.

I'm willing to lay down money that Josh Reed isn't a good receiver not because of who his qb was, but because Josh Reed just isn't good period.

318020[/snapback]

How many games the past two years have we failed to score an offensive TD? Its hard to catch TD passes when your QB doesnt throw very many of them. How many drives were 3 and outs? Hard to catch passes when you are on the bench because your QB cannot move the chains. How many balls were misthrown to open receivers? Alot is on Reed but even more is on Drew. Enough with Drew already, he sucks, hes gone, and we will be better. I give Reed one more year. Its put up or shut up time

What a great thread this has become, quality posts all. I personally feel that two things might happen: Reed will be traded in some package deal that involves Henry as well or Aiken is cut. While Aiken has the size and some talent, to be honest he has shown the least out of the three. Reed at least has a good season under his belt. Aiken has only shown the slightest glimmer when it actually matters: a regular season game. I don't see TD giving up on Reed until a new QB has had a chance to work with him. I also think that Smith has more play-making ability than Aiken does.

Aiken might be a better special teamer, but you do not keep a receiver just for that purpose over other guys. Surpluses at other position cans fill his spot on the kicking teams.

I'm guessing that there will be 6 receivers making it thru cuts:

Moulds-Evans-Parrish are locks, but I see Aiken, Reed, and Freddie making it.

I do not think that TD will swallow his pride on Reed, so he will keep him along with the 5 better receivers.