Pats make trades for '06

"04/24/05

Pats already preparing for 2006 by Paul Perillo, Patriots Football Weekly

With the Patriots seemingly unimpressed with the 2005 draft class, Bill Belichick instead opted to stock up picks for 2006. New England made four trades over the weekend and came away with three additional picks for next year, which the Patriots hope will offer better value than what was available."

And yet, if we get an '06 draft choice for Henry later on, the pundits and half the people here will still call TD stupid and moronic for not pulling the trigger to get an '05 choice.

317783[/snapback]

Yeah, I see a much more viable "conditional pick" offer for Henry that can get us what we want based on him performing reasonably (as long as the "condition" doesn't have anything to do with the number of times he picks up a blitz... ;) ).

And yet, if we get an '06 draft choice for Henry later on, the pundits and half the people here will still call TD stupid and moronic for not pulling the trigger to get an '05 choice.

They'd be pretty short-sighted to do that, IMO. The '06 draft is going to be, by all accounts, FAR better than the '05 draft. A pick in '06 is worth a good deal more than a pick in '05, as far as I'm concerned.

I was very pleased that the Pats chose to trade out of this draft as much as they could. The talent level was pretty poor.

Well, my thought in posting this was to note that other organizations seem to think ahead, and get some success out of that. NE (and PHI) have done so for several years.

Sad to say and in contrast to some years ago, the Bill's organization is not a top competitor in the marketplace. It's not sufficient to be parochial and to not take a look (and emulate) superior businesses. Obviously, personnel choices can fail - nature of the business, but the idea is to have a number of possibilities on deck - things like player substitutions in a game when you are up big time helps.

A while back, I looked at the number of linemen the Bills have drafted through the last 10 years, and their draft position. Nothing exact, but my impression was not favorable. Yes, in these FA days it can be here today gone in 3 years, but there is benefit in continually acquiring and developing linemen. If they leave, they leave, but don't stop the process. It's called building a bench. It's nail-biting time when a starter goes down with the Bills these days.

And please don't reply with "you're no fan" or some such.

Well, my thought in posting this was to note that other organizations seem to think ahead, and get some success out of that. NE (and PHI) have done so for several years.

Sad to say and in contrast to some years ago, the Bill's organization is not a top competitor in the marketplace. It's not sufficient to be parochial and to not take a look (and emulate) superior businesses. Obviously, personnel choices can fail - nature of the business, but the idea is to have a number of possibilities on deck - things like player substitutions in a game when you are up big time helps.

A while back, I looked at the number of linemen the Bills have drafted through the last 10 years, and their draft position. Nothing exact, but my impression was not favorable. Yes, in these FA days it can be here today gone in 3 years, but there is benefit in continually acquiring and developing linemen. If they leave, they leave, but don't stop the process. It's called building a bench. It's nail-biting time when a starter goes down with the Bills these days. 

317833[/snapback]

You're no fan! ;) JK

You are totally right! In the last 10 years, they have drafted all of 2 offensive limemen in round 1, Ruben Brown and Big Mike.

I believe that Ruben was pick #14, kinda high for a guard. Ruben, imo, was a smashing success. He was done at the end, but so what? For years he was a very solid player.

MW, drafted at #4 has imo been a dismal failure when comparing his play to his salary. We are all wishing that he earn his money. Maybe he will, but when?

The rest of our OL draftees (other than Jennings, a 3rd) were late round picks as I recall who have contributed little to nothing. Examples would be Nails, Spriggs, Pucillo, and Sobieski.

On the defensive side, it is differert. The Bills took Flowers in round 1, and Wiley, Kelsay, Schobel and Denney in round 2. All DEs mind you, but imo they are way harder to find than DTs, because many are playing forward in the NBA. :lol:

In summary, the Bills need to do a WAY better job at allocating resources to the OL, and drafting good blockers.

Sad to say and in contrast to some years ago, the Bill's organization is not a top competitor in the marketplace. It's not sufficient to be parochial and to not take a look (and emulate) superior businesses.

317833[/snapback]

"thinking ahead" got buffalo the QB they wanted and got them out of the 1st round in a weak draft.

certainly you're a fan. but you have to acknowledge both sides of the coin.

Ruben Brown was a good player for the Bills, I agree. However to whatever extent his skills may have diminished with age, I give him credit for saying that the "Emperor Has No Clothes".

Unlike DB - I still am amazed that he didn't storm off the field in the GW/KG debacle days. Class A check-cashing wuss.

I am hoping that the Bills entertain UDFA Doug Buckles from Missisiippi - a scout compared him to Conrad Dobler. That, I like.

"thinking ahead" got buffalo the QB they wanted and got them out of the 1st round in a weak draft.

certainly you're a fan.  but you have to acknowledge both sides of the coin.

317871[/snapback]

Damn straight we came out ahead in getting JP last year. None of the QB's this year can touch him in terms of mobility, arm-strength, and moxie ;) Now we just have to wait and see if he pans out (like the rest of the QB's taken). I think he will.

Unlike DB - I still am amazed that he didn't storm off the field in the GW/KG debacle days. Class A check-cashing wuss.

Didn't see Moulds walking off the field either... Care to apply the label across everyone other than Brown?

CW