Bobby Orr the greatest player ever to

millbank

Orr: Get deal done or get out of the way

By Bobby Orr

Special to The Eagle-Tribune

© Eagle-Tribune Publishing Company

Last September our game shut down because of the headstrong attitudes and selfish motives of some.

To date, I have resisted the urge to publicly comment on the subject. My personal belief was that the leaders of our sport were professional and conscientious and would diligently work for a fair contract and a win-win resolution of their standoff. Ultimately, I had faith that both sides would be motivated by a common goal, namely, the health of our game.

That is no longer the case.

After spending over six hours in their latest negotiating session, the league issued a statement indicating that no substantive progress was made. It said the two sides would attempt "a more aggressive meeting schedule over the next several weeks in an attempt to move the process forward."

A top union official said in a statement that he failed to see "how we can make any progress if the NHL maintains their single-track approach."

Does that sound like two groups trying to make a sensible agreement? This disconnect between the two sides is ridiculous.

With the unacceptable lack of progress and the continued bickering, I am no longer convinced that there was a genuine interest in getting a fair deal done.

The win-at-all costs attitude of both sides in this process has been disastrous.

Both NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Players Association Executive Director Bob Goodenow have wasted time and squandered goodwill. They now have a responsibility to either lead or get out of the way.

Because of what has happened, our sport is in danger of becoming irrelevant unless both sides immediately put an end to this nonsense.

The collateral damage caused by their refusal to compromise is a disgrace. Our fans have been used and abused. Those associated with our game have had their careers severely damaged or ruined.

What about the families of those who depend on NHL hockey for their livelihood? Where is the sense of accountability to them by those to whom the game has been entrusted?

These people and the history of our game deserve more than hollow apologies and empty promises.

Somebody asked if I'd be concerned about what Gary Bettman or Bob Goodenow would think when I publicly said what was on my mind. In reality, by now they may be immune to what anybody says or feels.

What concerns me far more is the lack of care about the game and its future.

What about the fans? What about the down-to-earth working families who support our game? Don't they count anymore?

Where is this game going? How can rational people continue to justify the irrational behavior that has resulted in this standoff?

It is time to end it, time to produce, time to think about the good of the game and time to think about those affected by the shutdown. The game has never needed more caring, more focus and more guidance.

Forget the finger-pointing and the blame game. Forget trying to squeeze every ounce of advantage out of a new deal. Stop the PR spins. Use common sense and creativity to get this sport back where it belongs. The reckless death match has gone on far too long.

We all are hostages to the so-called leaders who disrespect the game and the people in it.

Are a few greedy owners going to control the destiny of the NHL? Is the entire league supposed to suffer for past inept management decisions? Are some multimillion-dollar players going to keep saying no to a new contract without caring about where our sport is headed? Do they care about the future players of the game?

Will they come back and play harder? Will they care about performing the way they should in every game?

These are questions I've been asking myself for months.

Let's get our focus back. It's time to stand up and make a commitment, to quit killing this game and start caring about it..

Most of us are sick and tired of the way the sport is being strangled by those responsible for serving it. They've made no progress in two years, and they have no excuses.

There is much work to be done by players and team management to repair the trust destroyed by the implosion of the process.

It is clear that the priority of every person involved with pro hockey needs to be a mutually healthy league with a vision for moving our game forward. There is no more time to waste.

To every player, and every club owner, it's time for those of you who care about our sport to insist that those who have accepted responsibility for getting a deal done meet without interruption. And to demand that they continue until an agreement is made or they announce that they have failed to come to a resolution and are stepping aside.

Enough is enough.

I wish they would step aside!

Orr: Get deal done or get out of the way

By Bobby Orr

Special to The Eagle-Tribune

© Eagle-Tribune Publishing Company

Last September our game shut down because of the headstrong attitudes and selfish motives of some.

To date, I have resisted the urge to publicly comment on the subject. My personal belief was that the leaders of our sport were professional and conscientious and would diligently work for a fair contract and a win-win resolution of their standoff. Ultimately, I had faith that both sides would be motivated by a common goal, namely, the health of our game.

That is no longer the case.

After spending over six hours in their latest negotiating session, the league issued a statement indicating that no substantive progress was made. It said the two sides would attempt "a more aggressive meeting schedule over the next several weeks in an attempt to move the process forward."

A top union official said in a statement that he failed to see "how we can make any progress if the NHL maintains their single-track approach."

Does that sound like two groups trying to make a sensible agreement? This disconnect between the two sides is ridiculous.

With the unacceptable lack of progress and the continued bickering, I am no longer convinced that there was a genuine interest in getting a fair deal done.

The win-at-all costs attitude of both sides in this process has been disastrous.

Both NHL Commissioner Gary Bettman and Players Association Executive Director Bob Goodenow have wasted time and squandered goodwill. They now have a responsibility to either lead or get out of the way.

Because of what has happened, our sport is in danger of becoming irrelevant unless both sides immediately put an end to this nonsense.

The collateral damage caused by their refusal to compromise is a disgrace. Our fans have been used and abused. Those associated with our game have had their careers severely damaged or ruined.

What about the families of those who depend on NHL hockey for their livelihood? Where is the sense of accountability to them by those to whom the game has been entrusted?

These people and the history of our game deserve more than hollow apologies and empty promises.

Somebody asked if I'd be concerned about what Gary Bettman or Bob Goodenow would think when I publicly said what was on my mind. In reality, by now they may be immune to what anybody says or feels.

What concerns me far more is the lack of care about the game and its future.

What about the fans? What about the down-to-earth working families who support our game? Don't they count anymore?

Where is this game going? How can rational people continue to justify the irrational behavior that has resulted in this standoff?

It is time to end it, time to produce, time to think about the good of the game and time to think about those affected by the shutdown. The game has never needed more caring, more focus and more guidance.

Forget the finger-pointing and the blame game. Forget trying to squeeze every ounce of advantage out of a new deal. Stop the PR spins. Use common sense and creativity to get this sport back where it belongs. The reckless death match has gone on far too long.

We all are hostages to the so-called leaders who disrespect the game and the people in it.

Are a few greedy owners going to control the destiny of the NHL? Is the entire league supposed to suffer for past inept management decisions? Are some multimillion-dollar players going to keep saying no to a new contract without caring about where our sport is headed? Do they care about the future players of the game?

Will they come back and play harder? Will they care about performing the way they should in every game?

These are questions I've been asking myself for months.

Let's get our focus back. It's time to stand up and make a commitment, to quit killing this game and start caring about it..

Most of us are sick and tired of the way the sport is being strangled by those responsible for serving it. They've made no progress in two years, and they have no excuses.

There is much work to be done by players and team management to repair the trust destroyed by the implosion of the process.

It is clear that the priority of every person involved with pro hockey needs to be a mutually healthy league with a vision for moving our game forward. There is no more time to waste.

To every player, and every club owner, it's time for those of you who care about our sport to insist that those who have accepted responsibility for getting a deal done meet without interruption. And to demand that they continue until an agreement is made or they announce that they have failed to come to a resolution and are stepping aside.

Enough is enough.

317494[/snapback]